Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should government fund the local media?

Pollyanna Toynbee of Teh Grauniad - the experts when it comes to tax avoidance - seems to think so. Read her piece, and feel free to look at the comments. As ever, almost everyone thinks she's completely off her rocker.

I always feel automatically inclined to take the other side when Polly states an opinion on anything. She's that sort of person, it seems. Today is no exception. I can't see a single reason in her piece that would convince me that Zanu Labour should start shovelling money into local news providers. Isn't there a danger, for starters, that government-funded news might possibly be distinctly biased? We already have one service that churns out government propaganda on our television screens - it's called the BBC. Why exactly do we need another one?

Methinks that Teh Grauniad - a failing, loss-making newspaper - would be quite interested in receiving government subsidies. I wonder why Polly didn't point that out in her article?

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Papers around Britain are following US titles to the grave. The government needs to step in, for the sake of democracy

:lol: I stopped reading there.
  • Options
    No, the government shouldn't. The words 'conflict of interest' don't even begin to describe why.
  • Options
    Last week the Guardian Media Group axed 153 from its local newsrooms.

Bloody hell - at least the banks and car companies weren't as blatant about ripping of taxpayers...
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    :lol: I stopped reading there.
    Same here. haha. I tried to check the comments but they take forever to load.