Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pain in between periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I took the pill for about 6 years until about November last year. My periods were regular straight away but what I have noticed is cramping through most of my cycle. Althought to be honest I seem to remember random twinges when I was on the pill, like this, only now it seems worse.
This pain usually starts around ovulation time or up to a week before. The pain is like sharp twinges and also a dull ache, like my womb feels heavy and continues pretty much till my period.

Is this something to worry about? I'm going to see a doctor..but does anyone else get cramping in between periods? I know it could be ovulation but on all my google research ovulation pain should only last up to 48hrs.

I've never had a smear as I'm not quite 25 and I'm scared now. Also I've been told that doctors can't do smears as part of investigation, only as part of screening so I've got to wait.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if that's true about doctors not being able to do smears unless screening cos I'm sure they've done them on me... Unless that was some other form of swab - not sure what the difference would be.

Anyway, glad you're going to the doctor cos it could be any number of things to be honest.
    Probably nothing life threatening, but best to get checked. There are a number of gynae problems which cause these symptoms and it's always best to find out if something's wrong.
  • Options
    A doctor told me that unfortunately.
  • Options
    Hmm. That seems rediculously stupid to me, but there you go... Maybe if you get referred to a gynae they'd be allowed to?
  • Options
    Hi Lipsy,

I am going through exactly the same thing, came off the pill in November after 7 years of taking it and I am experiencing pretty much exactly the same symptoms as you. Had no idea my body would feel so mucked up - I certainly don't remember having these cramps throughout the month before I started on the pill!

Sorry for too much information but I have also found that it isn't as easy as having a normal period either as I have a good few days of dark discharge first... add to that the dates seem to be completely screwed as well.

I have started to make a note in my diary of days with bad cramping etc in the hope I will start to see things settle down.

I think from what I have read online this is pretty normal for the body settling down after long term use of the pill but please tell me if the doctor says anything different!

Oh and regarding smears, although the age for screening is 25, if there is any reason the doctor felt it was necessary to do a smear then they will definately do one!
  • Options
    Splodgey, are you getting cramps/pain through your cycle too? (not just at period time)

I have sharp pain really badly on my left ovary right now and it's really hurting. I've even taken 2 paracetemol which I never do. :(
  • Options
    I have been getting cramps throughout the month when not expecting it. Not sure they have been to the point of taking painkillers but most definately noticeable and not that comfortable.

Definately get it checked out if you aren't sure though!
  • Options
    Well thanks because you have put my mind at ease quite a bit. However it is something I will still see the doctor about as you never know if the pain is due to a cyst or something. But I'm thinking now it could be my body getting used to ovulation again.
  • Options
    I am still amazed at how out of sync my body is, I thought I would come off the pill and be straight back to normal but oh no!

Also doesn't help that I am trying to get pregnant so it is hard to not presume that the symptoms are perhaps very early signs of pregnancy. However having had the same dilemma for 4 months has now confirmed to me that the cramps etc are down to something else and I am presuming that is just my body getting back to normal.

Let me know how you get on at the docs!
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    Oh and regarding smears, although the age for screening is 25, if there is any reason the doctor felt it was necessary to do a smear then they will definately do one!

They will. You can request one at any time, even if you are not 25 yet. I'd just ask the receptionist to be booked in for one.

Worth it for the peace of mind, plus I'm guessing from your post that you're nearly 25, so you'll just get it out of the way early :)
  • Options
    Well just an update:

Aswell as the pain I've also had a large amount of discharge for the past2 months through the middle of the month and I had spotting on one day too. The doc immediately assumed I had an infection so did swabs but they've all come back normal. :)

Partof me thinks I'm just not used to ovulation after 6 years and it's comeback with a bang that would explain discharge too. I mentioned this to the doc but she dismissed it as the pain etc lasts more than 48hrs. So next step is to have a scan
  • Options
    I am tempted to say it is still your body getting used to being off the pill as I know exactly what you are going through and they do say it can take a long time to return to normal however it is much better to be safe than sorry.

I had a scan in January so pretty sure everything is as it should be... doesn't make things much better though! My last period was about 11 days if you take into account the dark discharge at the beginning and I am not impressed as I never had any problems pre-pill.

Oh how our bodies confuse us!

Let us know how you get on with the scan!