Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Swollen Lip!! Help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I bit my lip on Tuesday night.
Yesterday, I had a small white puffy bit on my lip. It wasn't sore so I ignored it.

But I woke up in the middle of my sleep in absolute agony. I could feel my lip throbbing but I was so tired that I just reached over, put on some lipbalm and tried to sleep. I didn't get back to sleep for ages. Every time I rolled on to my side my lip hurt and I had to pout my lips because they just wouldn't close comfortably.

This morning I asked my boyfriend if my lip looked weird. First he looked at me with complete panic then he inspected my lip with the light on his mobile and looked disgusted.

Half of my lip now is swollen quite badly and there's a yellow/brown mark like a cut where the white puffy bit used to be.

I don't know what it is and I don't know what to do. I look completely hideous and I can't bare to leave the house! Off all the days this semester, this is the one where I *have* to be out the house 12-6. I really don't want to face people looking like this.

Any ideas what happened or what can help?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    No idea what happened, although if it's puffy, hot, throbbing and swollen then it might be infected so it's worth thinking of getting it looked at.

Otherwise ice is good for reducing swelling and puffyness if you want to make it look a bit better. Either hold the ice on your lip, and get a glass with a lot of ice and then water to top it up and hold that against your lip.
  • Options
    No idea what happened, although if it's puffy, hot, throbbing and swollen then it might be infected so it's worth thinking of getting it looked at.

Otherwise ice is good for reducing swelling and puffyness if you want to make it look a bit better. Either hold the ice on your lip, and get a glass with a lot of ice and then water to top it up and hold that against your lip.

Good plan!

I asked my flatmate and she reckons just to put some Bonjela on it to help the infection and wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    Any chance it's a cold sore?

The description kinda fits and they can hurt like holy Jesus!
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Any chance it's a cold sore?

The description kinda fits and they can hurt like holy Jesus!

Nope, it's really not. It's on the middle of lip and it's all green. I took a shower and there was some skin trying to heal it over that seems to have come off. Now it's a red and white mess. Urgh...
  • Options
    I don't know what it is, but I'd stear clear of that lip balm in future.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I don't know what it is, but I'd stear clear of that lip balm in future.

I've been using it for ages though :( Chances are my lips was cut and I smeared lip balm into it - probably lots of lovely infectious things hiding in there to be honest.

I've never really considered how unhygenic pots of lip balm actually are!
    Maybe you're right Mist! I should swap for something else!
  • Options
    If it's a balm that's been used before then yes chances are there could be something in it, that's probably reacted with whatever was on your lip before.

I'm not a doctor though. Could be unrelated.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    If it's a balm that's been used before then yes chances are there could be something in it, that's probably reacted with whatever was on your lip before.

I'm not a doctor though. Could be unrelated.

Still, I think that sounds about right!

Dry lips and Bonjela it is for me today! =]
  • Options
    Something you could do is show it to a pharmacist. They're usually pretty good with skin things, and should be able to either give you something for it, or tell you if you need to see a doc :)
  • Options
    Something you could do is show it to a pharmacist. They're usually pretty good with skin things, and should be able to either give you something for it, or tell you if you need to see a doc :)

Problem is, I don't actually have to time/chance to see a doc between now and Monday. Hopefully it will be okay!!
  • Options
    Maybe try washing with warm salty water a couple of times a day too. Hope it heals soon!
  • Options
    Hello Dancing horse :wave:

Great advice from every one, it does sound like it may be infected, these things are best looked at straight away.

I know you said your busy but may be your GP does an open early morning surgery ? or you could ring the NHS direct hotline on 0845 46 47 and get some advice from them

good luck.
  • Options
    mini me wrote: »
    Hello Dancing horse :wave:

Great advice from every one, it does sound like it may be infected, these things are best looked at straight away.

I know you said your busy but may be your GP does an open early morning surgery ? or you could ring the NHS direct hotline on 0845 46 47 and get some advice from them

good luck.

Can't go to open clinic cause I have a class and then I'll be away all weekend :( Fingers crossed it'll get better. It hurts so much! :(
  • Options
    No chance you can show it to a pharmacist?

Not going to get a chance to go into town at all?
  • Options
    No chance you can show it to a pharmacist?

Not going to get a chance to go into town at all?

Do I just go in and show them my minging green/brown lip and say, "Help, please?"
  • Options
    Do I just go in and show them my minging green/brown lip and say, "Help, please?"

Yeah. Just ask them if they know what it is, and if they can give you owt for it.

They're obv not a replacement for a doctor, but most are pretty knowledgeable about minor things, and it's better than not seeing anyone! Plus they might have a magic cream that clears it right up :)
  • Options
    Yeah. Just ask them if they know what it is, and if they can give you owt for it.

They're obv not a replacement for a doctor, but most are pretty knowledgeable about minor things, and it's better than not seeing anyone! Plus they might have a magic cream that clears it right up :)

That would be fun! The Bonjela KILLS.
  • Options
    Went to a pharmacist and got some crazy Savlon. But I think it's spreading and getting worse...

I'm selfconscious at the best of times but it's getting ridiculous. I feel like everyone just stares at it...
  • Options
    Went to a pharmacist and got some crazy Savlon. But I think it's spreading and getting worse...

I'm selfconscious at the best of times but it's getting ridiculous. I feel like everyone just stares at it...

Can't you go to the emergancy doctor today?

You really shouldn't mess about with infections, you could get blood poisoning if you just let it get worse. :no:
  • Options
    i know you said you don't have time to see a doc but i would recomend it. ages ago i bit the inside of my cheek and it got an infection in it, the pain got worse and worse and the only thing that made it better was a course of anti biotics from the docs.
  • Options
    Nooo! I don't want blood poisoning! Don't want antibiotics either!

But okay, the deal is that if it doesn't get better by tomorrow then I'll go to the doc!

It's just awkward cause it seems to have spread so that part of it is inside my mouth so it can't properly scab and heal :(