Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Boyfriend's mum is an animal NUT

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
..and not in a good way. so here comes the rant.

i mean i love animals as much as the next person but she is ridiculous. well his whole family is to be quite frank. ive been with him for 2 and a half years now, and thats how long ive had to put up with it. as soon as i walk through the door in their house its, SAY HELLO TO HER!!! no hello to me! just to the damn dog! she is a golden retriever which are nice dogs, but how can you go fucking crazy about an animal that is nearly the size of me and sits there all day doing nothing. IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE! i mean i would understand going goo-goo over a puppy but not a fucking fully grown dog.

and my boyfriend says she is just a caring person who loves animals and people, but ive never heard her go mad when a little babys on tv. its always OHHHHHH HOW BEAUTIFUL! when a fucking weasel comes on tv.

and to be honest, the whole family are all the same. im sure its cos shes brainwashed them. whenever anyone comes to visit them, all she talks about is the dog and how she loves this that and the other and what she did at the park today etc etc etc. dont get me wrong, she is nice enough as a person and shes a teacher and is always nice to me whenever im over, but i find myself having to strike up a conversation about animals because i have no idea what else to talk to her about.

this may sound quite funny, and i think so too but its gotton to the stage where i have to leave the room because i cant take anymore of their shit. even my boyfriend joins in, his grandma, dad, sister, sisters fiancee, brother and brothers girlfriend. so im kind of the outsider who doesnt join in their little games, e.g hiding the dogs fave toy and then watching her try and sniff it out and when she does she gets a fucking round of applause. and at the dinner table the conversation goes onto the dog and how funny she is. ive tried talking to my boyfriend about it but he just shurgs and says the dog is like a child to them. my family all agree with me that they are ridiculous and need to get a fucking grip. another thing is that i said to my boyfriend once that there is no comparison whatsoever between a child and a dog and that animals are less important than people. and he went crazy! said that of course they have the same importance, if not more. ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS IS FUCKED????

to sum up, i dread spending time with his family because of the dog. :( and i dont know what the hell to do.

Comments

• Options
    Depends. I don't find that too abnormal, but then I live in a house with three dogs and my mum runs a greyhound charity so animals are a big thing in our house. I actually cried more when my border collie died a few years ago (and still do cry, occasionally) than when my grandad died. I can see, though, how it would be weird to people who aren't big dog people.

Incidentally, I would TOTALLY fawn all over that dog.
  • Options
    Yep to be honest they sound pretty normal to me. Animals are super cute and cuddly and stuff - where as babies just arn't.

Are you jealous because the dog gets more attention than you?
  • Options
    I am not an animal person, but I don't find their behaviour that strange.
  • Options
    To be honest it just sounds like one of those small things really that we all have. You clearly don't come from a family big on animals, which is clearly a polar opposite to your boyfriends relatives.
    As I say, it's one of them things you might have to try 'n adapt to in a way, because I''m sure he'll have had to adapt to you in a way too.

Mind you, I wonder if - as sadi earlier - you do feel that their furry friend gets more attention than you. Mind you, I remember that myself in the past to a certain degreee. My ex-girlfriend gave her spaniel tons of attention and would not utter a single word to me all day, but then again, our relationship in itself had seriously deterioated anyway and this was just symptomatic of the state of things.
    To keep it short, she turned out not to be such a nice individual and I eventually saw sense and moved on.

But in your case I doubt you and your partner have such relationship issues so I'd just learn to live with it if you care about him enough 'cause to me this in itself just sound very trivial frankly.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Yep to be honest they sound pretty normal to me. Animals are super cute and cuddly and stuff - where as babies just arn't.

Are you jealous because the dog gets more attention than you?

i guess i am to be honest. my mum gives my boyfriend loads of attention when hes over, chats to him about NORMAL stuff. whereas his parents dont really seem like they give two fucks.
  • Options
    they just love animals it isn't that weird. as long as you and your boyfriend are okay, you manage to get along with his parents and are polite to them then don't worry about it. you dont have to be on best buddy terms with his parents.
  • Options
    It's not weird, and I love animals too, but I too would be annoyed if I had to put up with the clapped the dog for finding it's toy or talking about the dog all the time.
  • Options
    Sounds weird to me, but then again I'm not really an animal person. It's one thing liking dogs, it's another to constantly harp on about them which is what I think the OP is saying.
  • Options
    Maybe his mom doesn't really know what to say to you either, and talking about dogs and animals is an easy and comfortable topic to fall back on.

Either way - they're your boyfriends parents, not your boyfriend himself. And like has already been said - so long as you can all be civil to each other there really isn't a problem.

I've never had any sort of relationship to speak of with any of my boyfriends parents, and its never really affected my relationship with the boyfriend.
  • Options
    Hey personally I love Animals, we have 2 cats & 2 dogs. But they do sound a bit excessive. you need to control how much you go over there, I mean just because you are with your boyfriend, doesn't mean you have to go see his family that often! I usually keep people ( and relations) that i find too much, at arms length. I suppose they could be doing worse, but take a break from it. At least you can psyche yourself up for the next time you do go over!
  • Options
    I don't see the problem. She probably doesn't know what to say to you.

I have two dogs, three cats, two rats, two rabbits, a ferret and a few pigeons I've rehabilitated and set free which still hang around my house at times. Most of my animals are rescues. And they're my family more than the humans in my family.

Animals, unlike you, are not judgmental. I see why she cares about the animals more. (Or appears to.) It's for the same reason I prefer animals over people most of the time. (Apart from my best friends, as I can trust them too.)