Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pope has blood on his hands!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
start_quote_rb.gifHIV/Aids is a tragedy that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which can even increase the problemend_quote_rb.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7947460.stm

How the fuck does he come up with that??? What research and evidence does he have to back this up?

Its all every well to say that abstinence and fidelity are the way to defeat AIDS but people are people - and people like sex. Surely, it is a greater sin to bring an unwanted child with AIDS into a world of hardship than it is to wear a condom and sin against oneself?

If he doesn't play the game (sex), he should shut the fuck up and not try and make up the rules! Appalling!

Comments

• Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    start_quote_rb.gifHIV/Aids is a tragedy that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which can even increase the problemend_quote_rb.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7947460.stm

How the fuck does he come up with that??? What research and evidence does he have to back this up?

Its all every well to say that abstinence and fidelity are the way to defeat AIDS but people are people - and people like sex. Surely, it is a greater sin to bring an unwanted child with AIDS into a world of hardship than it is to wear a condom and sin against oneself?

If he doesn't play the game (sex), he should shut the fuck up and not try and make up the rules! Appalling!

My thoughts exactly. But in Catholic schools, the girls aren't even taught about contraception because the idea is that they'll no be having sex but they won't need it. But still, it's fucking irresponsible.
  • Options
    Just keep jotting these incidents down and next time someone tells you religion is innocuous, cite them.
  • Options
    Just keep jotting these incidents down and next time someone tells you religion is innocuous, cite them.

Excuse me, but please don't go hitting 'religion' with one big brush.
  • Options
    Luckily nobody takes any notice of what the church says.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

:no: That's the problem. Lots of people do.
  • Options
    :no: That's the problem. Lots of people do.

More fool them.
  • Options

But the point is that people DO, in places like South America and Africa. They are told not to wear condoms. So the church allows millions of unplanned pregnancies and the spread of AIDS, instead of facing up to the fact that all people are weak and 'succumb to the cravings of the flesh' (even the kiddy-fiddler priests in their own organisation) rather than accept that wearing a condom is a lesser evil than causing such misery in the world for unwanted children and the spread of AIDS. Its quite sick really.
  • Options
    More fool them.

Its the uneducated masses. They're not fools. They just don't know anything else and rely on God and the Church to get them through their miserable lives.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly. But in Catholic schools, the girls aren't even taught about contraception because the idea is that they'll no be having sex but they won't need it. But still, it's fucking irresponsible.

I went to a catholic school and they did teach about contraception.

It makes my blood boil that the catholic church can have such a brain washing affect on so many people, and not care that they're making a desperate situation like aids worse by being totally and utterly irresponsible bastards. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I can't say I'm terribly surprised to hear that an openly gay man finds something the Pope says to be somewhat objectionable. :p

The Pope is half right, even if it's in a half-way-round-the-world sort of way. Using condoms in itself is not going to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS. The answer is not to have unprotected sex with multiple partners. However, such an answer is rarely mentioned because it's widely considered to be judgemental - and we musn't upset people who choose a different lifestyle choice, must we? Medicine and contraceptives can only go so far in protecting people from getting sexual diseases such as this - personal responsibility is something that must be taught.

Which brings me onto my next point. In many countries, women are denied access to education. Such a policy is not accidental, indeed it is sometimes deliberate. The intellectually inferior men in charge will often require the women to remain stupid and subordinant if they're to get their way. Here's an example from a different context. Going back to the days of slavery, there is considerable historical evidence that shows women were given more "lenient" (for want of a better word) treatment on slave ships. Part of the reason for this was because the "staff" on these boats - often young men who were away from home for months at a time. It is well known that men will get sexual urges - and since the only women on board were the female slave captors, they had little choice. It was either that, or resort to homosexual sex with one of the fellow sailors. Seeing that homosexuality was widely frowned upon at the time, anyone caught doing that would probably have been thrown into the sea. These female slaves, most of whom received virtually no education at all, would have struggled to articulate to the man whether they wanted to have sex or not. Language barriers would also have made this worse. There would have been numerous rapes carried out on slave ships.

I am not saying that slavery and AIDS are related. However, I think there is one issue that's central to both - education. Fight for women to receive a right to a good education. This will help deal with the problem. It will not solve it, but it is part of a solution.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I can't say I'm terribly surprised to hear that an openly gay man finds something the Pope says to be somewhat objectionable. :p

I beg your pardon? Gay, dear? Who, dear? Me, dear? How every DARE you!!! :p
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I went to a catholic school and they did teach about contraception.

It makes my blood boil that the catholic church can have such a brain washing affect on so many people, and not care that they're making a desperate situation like aids worse by being totally and utterly irresponsible bastards. Just my opinion.

That's a good thing! Two of my flatmates went to Catholic schools. One of them got taught about contraception only the sly from a hippy nun!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The Pope is half right, even if it's in a half-way-round-the-world sort of way. Using condoms in itself is not going to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS. The answer is not to have unprotected sex with multiple partners.

I don't quite understand. How is he even 'half-right'? Sure, condoms may not be the WHOLE answer but they are more than 50/50.
  • Options
    That's a good thing! Two of my flatmates went to Catholic schools. One of them got taught about contraception only the sly from a hippy nun!

:lol: I love that imagery!
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    :lol: I love that imagery!

:yes:
  • Options
    If this doesn't prompt Kermit to come back, nothing will ;)

Not surprising but very depressing that the Vatican still publicly adheres to such repulsive, absurd and damaging policy. Even more so because there really isn't anything in Christianity that justifies that position. Well, there is, but it's the same dogma as the one that demands we should kill those who work on the Sabbath.

This is why I was saying on the other thread that Catholics shouldn't actually be expected to follow doctrine from the Vatican to the letter. Regardless of the wider issue of religious beliefs, clearly some of what the Vatican advocates is plain lunacy and madness, and most moderate Catholics can ignore such doctrine while still seeing themselves as Catholics and believers.

Sadly Catholics in Africa tend to take advice from the Vatican more literally, precisely the place where condom usage is most critical.

You have to wonder what kind of twisted cunt God would have to be to actually have an issue with people using artificial contraception. Indeed, he would be a God no rational person would want anything to do with.
  • Options
    I cannot find any figures myself but does anyone know how many people have contracted aids/hiv through the practice of abstinence ?
  • Options
    Including drug addicts and hemophiliacs, presumably quite a few.

Excluding them, presumably the same number as those who were castrated at birth.

Meanwhile, in the real world...
  • Options
    I cannot find any figures myself but does anyone know how many people have contracted aids/hiv through the practice of abstinence ?

I cannot find any figures myself but does anyone know how the Pope came to the conclusion that using condoms increases the spread of HIV/AIDS?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

It seems that in your real world, gun control is a good idea but love gun control not so much.
  • Options
    I remember seeing on the news recently the catholic church pays out MILLIONS to settle child abuse cases, so it isn't just blood hes got on his hands :P
  • Options
    Including drug addicts and hemophiliacs, presumably quite a few.

Excluding them, presumably the same number as those who were castrated at birth.

Let's also bear in mind the recognised use of rape as a weapon in many recent conflicts, which brings up a slightly different perspective on the idea of abstinence.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AFR47/007/2004/en/56ae3ae0-d5f7-11dd-bb24-1fb85fe8fa05/afr470072004en.html

Though lets also be fair about a number of things. The Catholic Church has had a recent history of dealing with child abuse cases in a way many people found appalling, as is well documented in the US. However this is something that no longer seems to be the case. I'm not aware of any evidence that the Catholic Church has any higher rate of abusers than in society in general. It's also worth noting that alongside the position on contraception and abortion the Catholic church does do a huge amount of health related work in many of the poorest countries in the world.

Now that may be a doubled edged sword. The prohibition on contraception is a problem not just because of people who regularly attend church but more importantly because the Catholic Church is often one of the main providers of health support. But it's unfair to imply that the Church isn't doing anything else alongside the teachings around contraception.
  • Options
    It seems that in your real world, gun control is a good idea but love gun control not so much.

Unless you live in Texas, most of us aren't born with a Mac-10 in our hands, and a set of endochrinological drives telling us specifically to use them. Oh and also being shot tends, at best, to give pleasure to only one person - consensual sex tends, to varying degrees, to result in both for parties concerned.
  • Options
    What's that got to do with anything? :confused:

Suggestings condoms shouldn't be used because people should practice abstience is akin to demanding locks are removed permanently and doors and windows left open, because people shouldn't be stealing anyway: absurd and ludicrous.
  • Options
    What's that got to do with anything? :confused:

Suggestings condoms shouldn't be used because people should practice abstience is akin to demanding locks are removed permanently and doors and windows left open, because people shouldn't be stealing anyway: absurd and ludicrous.

Maybe we should suggest this to Mr Pope? Maybe he should leave the big massive Catholic Church vault open!!
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Let's also bear in mind the recognised use of rape as a weapon in many recent conflicts, which brings up a slightly different perspective on the idea of abstinence.

I think the adjective recent is somewhat redundant. Since conflicts have been recorded rape has always been a weapon. Unfortunately,I strongly suspect that will continue.
  • Options
    Unless you live in Texas, most of us aren't born with a Mac-10 in our hands, and a set of endochrinological drives telling us specifically to use them. Oh and also being shot tends, at best, to give pleasure to only one person - consensual sex tends, to varying degrees, to result in both for parties concerned.

Those drives may be telling you to use them but if you are like me (and others) then you have the choice not to use them.

As with those firearm guns I think there is a time and place when to use your love gun. A choice you have to make and accept any consequences that result.
  • Options
    As with those firearm guns I think there is a time and place when to use your love gun.

From YOUR personal perspective, what time and place is that, as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    I've seen a lot of women who used to be midwives in rural Africa who contracted HIV through things like lack of or no gloves, no post-exposure prophylaxis etc. I don't think the church minds gloves. Unless it wants its midwives abstaining from deliveries ;)
  • Options
    Excuse me, but please don't go hitting 'religion' with one big brush.

You're right: religion as a whole doesn't suck because the Pope's an ageing, virginal, bigoted fuck-wit - though the Pope is one of the many reason the Catholic Church sucks ass. However, religion as a whole still does suck, for innumerable reasons. And organised religion sucks even harder. Labelling oneself as this religion or that religion is one of the most worthless and futile tasks ever undertaken; as soon as towing the church-line suits, it's all 'I, as a Christian, believe...', but as soon as it doesn't it's all 'well that's not my interpretation, and the upper echelons of my church have it wrong'. It's cod shit.

The Pope holds some seriously insidious beliefs, and holding those beliefs is a prerequisite for being leader of his fruity little club. He sucks; his club sucks; his God sucks.