Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mood swings.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I make them go away :(? Or lessen them or something. I can't cope with feeling cripplingly sad one second then perfectly fine the next. It's not anger and it's not being massively happy, it's just that I feel ok (not amazing, cause that's pretty much non-existant in my life right now) and then something happens and I crash into feeling like I need to throw something or hit something or hurt myself and I can't get myself out of it. It's absolutely exhausting and yet when I try and sleep I can't keep my eyes closed, and nothing will occupy my mind except for this feeling of absolute despair.

Help :(.

Before anyone says see a doctor, I've seen one and she's prescribed me ad's. Again. But I can't afford the prescription til Wednesday.

Comments

• Options
    Me too. Preferably without meds. The only one that's ever worked was Prozac and I'm violently allergic...
  • Options
    you're a student, and thus entitled to free prescriptions. you needs a HC1 form!

Is it something spesific thats making you feel like this?

i could suggest a whole load of essencial oils, but make sure they won't interfer with any medication. I'm not a trained aromatherapist...yet!
  • Options
    There's lots of things all muddled together into one big shit.

And I can't afford my prescription = I can't afford essential oils. Eh.

Piccolo - *hugs for you*.
  • Options
    no, but i could send you a blend!

come sit in the park and have tea with me piccolo!
  • Options
    no, but i could send you a blend!

come sit in the park and have tea with me piccolo!
    A blend sounds good. I can give you Rich's work address if you want :p. I can't get stuff sent here, and I know he's getting fed up too.
  • Options
    you're a student, and thus entitled to free prescriptions. you needs a HC1 form!

Not if you're a student that lives at home, how fucking stupid is that :mad:
  • Options
    thats kinda stupid!...

grrr
  • Options
    I think you should be able to get it if you are a student who lives at home, as you shouldn't have to put your parents details on there- I think that's what I did, using my home address but I didn't have to give them my mum's info, and I got one.

You get free prescriptions depending on your income, not because you are at Uni. Anyone who has a low enough income gets free prescriptions once they've filled out this form and received the certificate. Sometimes they'll assess you as not quite having a low enough income for all of the free stuff but will give you some.

link below to order a form to fill in:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx
  • Options
  • Options
    I used to have frequent mood swings when i lived at home. I was always fighting with my mam, bro and sis and i always felt low i caouldn't sleep at night and at one point i just wanted to jump in front of a bus.

But then i moved in with my nan and everything chanced i wasn't that streesed and my mood swings just went away.

Plus i totally changed my diet and exercise and i felt better in my self, sort of:D

I hope you feel better soon, Take care xx
  • Options
    Are you on the pill - I seem to recall that you were - just because that can often cause people to have random mood swings feelings of depression etc - so it might be worth asking the doctor about that as well.
  • Options
    I think I will if it doesn't get better when I'm on the ad's. Eh. I know the depression isn't from the pill, but maybe the mood swings are.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I think I will if it doesn't get better when I'm on the ad's. Eh. I know the depression isn't from the pill, but maybe the mood swings are.

That would make sense cause the pill plays tricks with hormones so it might be the cause of the moodswings.
  • Options
    yes plus i do think that it can cause depression - my friend mysteriously got really depressed shortly after going on the pills - they said that she was being stupid and shouldnt' stop taking it and made her take AD's but amazingly she did feel better after stopping/changing brand - so i'm not convinced that the two aren't linked - afterall pumping loads of random drugs into your system on an on going basis can't be right!.
  • Options
    What I do appreciate is that people on this forum are not afraid to express what they really think.
  • Options
    Hey Franki,

I know that you have used The Site many times before, but you may not have found the pages on mood swings as they're not in the most obvious place. Maybe having a read through that will help you to work though some of what's happening for you right now?

The fact that you have been able to recognise that you needed to see your GP says that you are very self aware and are able to seek support from the right places - these are really positive things and big steps forward - so well done!

Also, if you want to find out some concrete information about what you are entitled to regarding prescriptions, then try giving NHS Direct a call on 0845 46 47- they are trained to give you answers to questions like this.

As someone else has asked on the thread - is there anything in particular that is making you feel this way at the moment?

You described feelings of depression and wanting to hurt yourself at the times when you are low - how would you feel about talking to someone on a helpline such as the Samaritans when you are feeling like this or cannot sleep?

Keep posting and let us know how things develop for you. Take care :)
  • Options
    Thank you :). Unfortunately I have a phone-phobia which is only getting worse so calling anyone is a bad plan for me. My senior tutor said that he was going to try and arrange for me to see one of the counsellors via my creative writing tutor, who's friends with her, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. I should email him, really.

And I actually only saw my GP because of a different problem, which led to me talking about how said problem is affecting my relationship with my fiance, and that led to me talking about depression stuff. I normally wouldn't have gone.

Fortunately I am currently unlikely to hurt myself. I'm doing a lot of writing, which helps (though the writing I did yesterday/today made me feel a bit crap, but eh, it was cathartic), and it's been so long since I was worked up enough to do it that I've kinda lost the will to do it even if I want to. Sounds weird, but it's like I want to, but I don't have the motivation to do anything about it.

/ramble.
  • Options
    Hey,

I know it may not seem like it, but some of what you have said is really positive: You enjoy to write, you have a fiancée, you have a tutor who is willing to help you (emailing him sound's like a good plan - the counselling he's suggested may help you), whether you went to the GP about your depression or not - you were able to talk to them about it and it's unlikely you are going to hurt yourself. This is all good to hear.

Have you ever heard of 'Moodgym'? It's an on-line CBT programme. Some people find that it really helps - although it's not always for everyone. Perhaps you could check it out - see what you think?

Keep posting :)
  • Options
    mood swings eh? not a simple answer, but I often look at whats making me feel the way I do when Im really down....I know what it is, and its the front I put on that makes me so bouncy the next day.....! not good tho is it.....