Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can't get over ex who i broke up with due to religion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

How do you get over leaving someone you cared deeply for. I only dated her a few months, but during that time it was obvious that she was the most honest, caring, loving person I’m ever likely to meet. She would have made an ideal long term partner.

Well, or at least the above would be true if it hadn’t been for her religion. She was a practicing Catholic. Myself on the other hand has never had much religious affiliation. I just don’t understand how people can believe in god. To me god is on a par with the tooth fairy / santa claus. I knew had I stayed with her that god would always be number one in her life and me number two. Know body wants to be number two in their partners eyes do they?

As time passed I also started to re-sent her religion. I mean, I became more and more aware how important it was to her and I began thinking ……. Its clear she was going to stick to the rules of her religion, the only way we can be together is if I accept that. But wait what If I were also religious, would she change for me? No, was the answer. ……… All relationships require compromise right? ……. But when it came to her religious rules there was no compromise. I resented this.

The rules also concerned me. If their had been some guarantee that we would have stayed together then fine. But what was stopping her breaking up with me later down the line. I would have gone along with her rules for nothing? And could I truly accept her rules or would I end up pulling more in my original (the opposite) direction. How did I know how I’d feel later on. I didn’t want this to tear us apart and end up hurting her more than I did later down the line.

I don’t understand the hold religion has over some people. She admits shes unhappy, she wants nothing more than to get married and have a family, yet she knows that with her Catholic rules her chances are slim to none.

Its now 18 months since we broke up and over 6 since we last spoke. I still think about her everyday. I constantly think of ways that would be acceptable for us to be together. I daren’t ask anyone else out incase I ever figure out a way for us to be back together as this would obviously cause further problems.

I want to be back with her so much. What the hell do i do ????

Thanks for reading
Andy

Comments

• Options
    Hope you are feeling ok. I'm a little confused when you say "She admits shes unhappy, she wants nothing more than to get married and have a family, yet she knows that with her Catholic rules her chances are slim to none". I thought Catholics got married & had families? Would it be you that doesn't want to marry- as Church weddings require a believe in God I would imagine? There's nothing wrong with not believing, we all know the world wasn't made in 7 days! I think people just need to beileve in something! Lots of people from Different religious backgrounds get married. She could still attend mass, without you etc there are plenty ways to compromise. how do you feel about marrying in a church, if you don't believe in God? or christeneing children? If you figure out what you are prepared to do & see if she can meet you half way? But more importantly, you need to contact her again! 6 months is a long time, how do you know she hasn't met someone else? Don't delay, we all have to fight for what we want!
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for your reponse. She's unhappy because she knows very few people want to be with someone who follows strict religious rules. This is by no means the only one but the one which has guys breaking up with her first and foremost is the no sex until marriage rule.

I also don't know how you think we can compromise?. No sex before marriage, no living together before marriage, having to get married in a catholic church, anti-abortion, kids having to go to a catholic school. She basically feel she has to follow these rules. If i want the opposite, how can we negotiate? Fine if we could draw up a list and have half each no problem, however if she does that then she may as well turn her back on her religion as she's basically breaking all the rules and is going to hell anyway !!

Andy
  • Options
    Simply put, if her beliefs are that strong, you can't 'negotiate'.

She will not budge, and you will never find the happy medium as she will not compromise.
  • Options
    Out of those rules, the one that bothers me the most is the fact that their offspring has to go to Catholic school. That is effectively forcing minors to convert to the church before they have the chance and maturity to air their views on other lifestyles.
  • Options
    Both of you seem very set in your ways. So I would say that there's no point. Neither of you are willing to compromise - and it's too much to ask either of you to compromise.
  • Options
    Both of you seem very set in your ways. So I would say that there's no point. Neither of you are willing to compromise - and it's too much to ask either of you to compromise.

Hi,

Thanks, I wouldn't say i'm unwilling to compromise though. However i will only go half way but am 99% certain she won't cover the other half leaving a big gap between us.

Andy
  • Options
    Yikes! I didn't realise that the rules were that strict! Sorry. Is she follwing these rules herself? Or is it her parents ? I don't know what age she is, but maybe when she gets a little older, she will realise that compromise is a part of life. I'm a catholic, but there was no way anyone was telling me not to sleep with or live with my husband before we got married! I feel sorry for her if she thinks she's going to hell if she breaks the rules. I mean thats not right! If she doesn't try to compromise with you, i think you might have to move on. I have a feeling she will end up on her own because nobody in this day & age can abide completely by some one elses rules. It's not realistic. I think one day she will realise that. good luck!
  • Options
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    I have a feeling she will end up on her own because nobody in this day & age can abide completely by some one elses rules. It's not realistic. I think one day she will realise that. good luck!

No, religious people oft end up with people with similar beliefs.
  • Options
    Yes thats a good point g angel. She is definelty suited to someone who has the same beliefs. I suppose you just don't think that in 2009 that people could feel so strongly about their religion.
  • Options
    ???? What about the fanatics you read about nearly every day in the papers?

Religious loons are all over the place, be it Muslim, Catholic or whatever! Have you read the Pope's latest pearls of wisdom on condoms and AIDS?
  • Options
    I think that if you have strong religous beliefs that your probably not going to be happy with someone else as long as they share the same religious beliefs as you or who is at least open to compromise. I think oddly that is probably a bit easier for couples who have strong religious beliefs in different religous because a) often beliefs are very simiar and b) because you can see much more where the other person is coming from.

I think with many people there are different degrees of how religous you are, i know lots of people who have been christened catholic and go to mass occasionally but who still have sex before marriage etc et - and i know lots of Cof E people who wouldnt' even dream of staying in the same house over night with their boyfriend let alone anythign else
  • Options
    As bleak as things may seem sometimes, it is important for us to have the attitude that we will never, ever give up. There is always reason for hope if you are standing on the truth.
  • Options
    No need for any religion bashing here. Her views were different from yours, you were as stubborn as she was on that. It was never going to work from day 1. Good on her for being staunch with her principles.
  • Options
    Religious loons are all over the place, be it Muslim, Catholic or whatever! Have you read the Pope's latest pearls of wisdom on condoms and AIDS?

Don't forget they are mass religions, there are thousands of religions in this world.
  • Options
    Hey
    Yikes! I didn't realise that the rules were that strict! Sorry. Is she follwing these rules herself? Or is it her parents ? I don't know what age she is, but maybe when she gets a little older, she will realise that compromise is a part of life. I'm a catholic, but there was no way anyone was telling me not to sleep with or live with my husband before we got married! I feel sorry for her if she thinks she's going to hell if she breaks the rules. I mean thats not right! If she doesn't try to compromise with you, i think you might have to move on. I have a feeling she will end up on her own because nobody in this day & age can abide completely by some one elses rules. It's not realistic. I think one day she will realise that. good luck!

Hi

This is something i don't get with 99% of people claiming to be catholics. You basically break all the rules !! The rules i've mentioned are what catholics are supposed to follow strictly speaking but most of you don't even seem to be aware of them ..... doesn't that just make you pretty much none believers ??. Not meaning to sound patronising or anything btw but i just don't get how people like yourself call yourself catholic. Its like me saying i'm scottish cos i've been there a couple of times, even though i was born and have lived in england most of my life !!

To be honest i've no idea of the influence her parents have over her, i've met them and they seem perfectly normal. Yes she's following these rules herself and so far as she knows her parents did too. Problem is although i can't be with her without compromise, i also understand that she can't as if she comprosmises on one rule, then it basically has a domino effect and she'll be breaking various other rules as well.

Oh and fair enough, some people may be thinking shes a little odd. But honestly, on a day to day basis, she was one of the nicest people i've ever met, which is why this is messing with my head so much :(

Thanks
    Andy
  • Options
    Hi
    No need for any religion bashing here. Her views were different from yours, you were as stubborn as she was on that. It was never going to work from day 1. Good on her for being staunch with her principles.

Hi

Eh? ......... so by your logic you would also say good on me for being staunch with my principles?. Don't really agree with you i'm afraid, relationships take compromise and having your attitude wouldn't help.

Andy
  • Options
    Andy_46 wrote: »
    Hi

Eh? ......... so by your logic you would also say good on me for being staunch with my principles?. Don't really agree with you i'm afraid, relationships take compromise and having your attitude wouldn't help.

Andy

You make it sound like it was her at fault - she shouldn't have to change any of her principles just to suit you and to expect her to is more than a little arrogant. She has certain views of the world that she wants to stick to (about her 'breaking the rules'? If you read the Bible - hahahaha, only joking - you'd know that no-one is perfect enough to be totally sinless all fall short of God's standards, that's where foregiveness comes in to it, but this isn't the subject ATM) just as you do.

I disagree that all relationships require compromise. If 2 incompatible people want to be together then yes I agree but not everyone is that different.

btw I'm not a Catholic but I did 3 years of biblical study in college so I have modicum of understanding.
  • Options
    In both terms, neither should he have to change your views. When it comes to religion, it's about personal preference, don't change your views for love. All you can do is move on. Maybe in a few years she may become a non-believer and you guys can try again.
  • Options
    Or...perhaps one day he could become a believer? It works both ways ;)
  • Options
    Don't worry I don't find you patronising at all. well, the main religious denomination here in Ireland is Catholicism. I call myself catholic beacuse I was baptised as a catholic. But, I don't claim to be a practising catholic. Alot of people my age are moving away from catholicism because of the amount of scandal that has gone on in the Irish Catholic church. The cover-ups that went on here are a disgrace, so are all these priests following their religion? Or are THEY the ones breaking the rules? Once we see the Catholic church lead by example, then I may consider practising the religion I was baptised into. I don't think she sounds odd, but she's not going to put you first. So maybe thats just the way it is.
  • Options
    To be quite honest, most of these rules are only things that affect her. It's like going out with a vegetarian. Unless they try to force you to become a vegetarian, it doesn't really create a problem for you. She goes to church every week, but that's no different from a girlfriend who goes shopping once a week without you. The no sex before marriage is the only thing that really affects you, but that's her decision, so you have to accept it. It would be unacceptable for you to try to get her to try and "compromise" on this particular issue. It's her body after all.

It's more long-term things than that that create the real issues, where you do have to find middle ground. Marriage, christenings and the like are just ceremonies. The advantage of being non-religious is that you can just see them for what they are, and go along with it. As long as you're not pretending you believe anything, and you're just doing it for her, then there's no issue. But kids are another issue.

And the issue here isn't as clear cut as whether they go to Catholic school or not. Frankly, it doesn't make much difference provided you're willing to fill in the gaps. The question is more, if you try to talk to your kids about contraception and sex, is she going to kick off? If she brings them to church every week, is she going to object if you explain why you don't believe? It's not the list of things people want to teach their children that's the issue, it's the list of things they don't want taught to their children. That's what breeds ignorance and damages children.

And don't underestimate her parents. In most cases of relationships between religious people and non-religious people, the conflict doesn't come with the person themselves, but their family. If she was that arsed, she wouldn't be going out with someone who doesn't share her beliefs. But grandparents have a habit of wanting a say about how their grandchildren are raised, particularly when it comes to religion. I know I was only brought to church to please my grandma. But I can also confidently say that of all of my cousins who were raised Catholic, not one of them still goes to church. Incidentally, every one of them is a product of a Catholic and an atheist, and when given the full set of ideas, they usually don't carry on going to church for long after they're forced to.

I don't know if you've talked about any of this sort of stuff in the past. I'm guessing it was a bit early to be talking about marriage and kids and stuff. But like you say, you don't want to waste a few years only to find out that you would never be able to compromise on those things.
  • Options
    Hi

Hi

This is what worries me the most. I have no idea why she wants to stick so strictly to the rules. I just can't comprehend why anyone would stick to a set of rules which made them unhappy? All i can think is its her parents who have instilled these rules on her and she is scared to go against them, however i've met her parents and they seemed pretty normal to me.

My biggest source of guilt is agreeing with you, that yes, she will most likely end up alone. Shes 27 now, lets face it, the majority of people willing to wait until marriage will be virgins, i very much doubt at her age she'll find anyone willing to adhere to this rule, let alone any others. Her sisters 29 and also in the same position.

Andy
  • Options
    Hi
    g_angel wrote: »
    No, religious people oft end up with people with similar beliefs.

Hi

Really? but where are these people?. She admits that in her church group there are ZERO guys of a similar age, and most people are generally pensioners. If there are others like her, she has no idea where to find them.

Andy
  • Options
    Hi
    You make it sound like it was her at fault - she shouldn't have to change any of her principles just to suit you and to expect her to is more than a little arrogant. She has certain views of the world that she wants to stick to (about her 'breaking the rules'? If you read the Bible - hahahaha, only joking - you'd know that no-one is perfect enough to be totally sinless all fall short of God's standards, that's where foregiveness comes in to it, but this isn't the subject ATM) just as you do.

I disagree that all relationships require compromise. If 2 incompatible people want to be together then yes I agree but not everyone is that different.

btw I'm not a Catholic but I did 3 years of biblical study in college so I have modicum of understanding.

Hi

No, i didn't say it was her fault, but again, by your logic your saying i shouldn't have to change any of my principles just to suit her and shes arrogant? ........... pah, maybe your right.

Andy
  • Options
    Hell

I think this is a no win situation, if she feels that strongly about her religion she can't compromise.Unless you are prepared to live like a Catholic and adopt her life style it won't work. You just have to hang in and have faith you will meet someone who thinks like you in that way.
  • Options
    It's unfortunate to say, but sometimes things aren't worth pursuing. I know there is no such thing as compromise when it comes to religion. Sooner or later, she will get frustrated that you don't believe in her god, whilst you will get pissed that she is. I think in general it would be difficult to be with someone whose beliefs were so radical.