Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lying About Age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have found out that my partner of a few months lied to me about their age. They knocked off a few years. I am not that annoyed, but obviously the fact that they lied is not great. I am going to say something to them. Would you be suspicious about them lying about other things as well after this?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I would begin to think and doubt them! I think I would always be slightly suspicious of what they say after this
  • Options
    Crumbs wrote: »
    I have found out that my partner of a few months lied to me about their age. They knocked off a few years. I am not that annoyed, but obviously the fact that they lied is not great. I am going to say something to them. Would you be suspicious about them lying about other things as well after this?

What were the real/imaginary ages... and how old are you?
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    What were the real/imaginary ages... and how old are you?

I am a bit of a Lily Allen case, I am 23 and they are 42, but said they were 39. I just happened to read something with their date of birth on. Apart from this our relationship so far has been great. I mean they told me they wish they were closer to my age so I guess that's why and worrying about me going off with someone younger.
  • Options
    39, 42, pff. with one foot in the grave. there's no difference :razz:
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    39, 42, pff. with one foot in the grave. there's no difference :razz:

:p I did think it wasn't much difference to lie about... But I guess 30-something might sound better than 40-something if you're age consious.

I think I might put this in the 'little white lie' box, rather than something to set alarm bells ringing - but I guess you often have a little niggle about someone if you think they're not trustworthy and I'd listen to that rather than worry about him lying a bit about his age - I sort of think that's understandable.

I also think I'm not making much sense. Sorry. :confused:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    :p I did think it wasn't much difference to lie about... But I guess 30-something might sound better than 40-something if you're age consious.

I think I might put this in the 'little white lie' box, rather than something to set alarm bells ringing - but I guess you often have a little niggle about someone if you think they're not trustworthy and I'd listen to that rather than worry about him lying a bit about his age - I sort of think that's understandable.

I also think I'm not making much sense. Sorry. :confused:

:) It is quite funny. Who knows, maybe I'll knock a few years off myself one day.
  • Options
    Crumbs wrote: »
    I am a bit of a Lily Allen case, I am 23 and they are 42, but said they were 39. I just happened to read something with their date of birth on. Apart from this our relationship so far has been great. I mean they told me they wish they were closer to my age so I guess that's why and worrying about me going off with someone younger.

40 is a big issue for some people, and so I can completely see why they did it.

I'd forget about it and move on.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    40 is a big issue for some people, and so I can completely see why they did it.

I'd forget about it and move on.

:yes:

It doesn't seem like a malicious lie. Do they know that you know?
  • Options
    Come to think of it the two girls i work with wouldn't tell me their ages, i must just have this effect on people hehe ;)
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    :yes:

It doesn't seem like a malicious lie. Do they know that you know?

No they don't lol I am going to say to them in a few hours time when I see them 'So what do you want to do for your 43rd birthday?'
  • Options
    Lies are bad... but I'd not be overly worried about this. The age difference from 23->39 is little different to 23->42... it'd be different if they were 49. Sounds like they just wanted to bend things a little in the what they perceived to be the "right" direction, rather than deceive you.
  • Options
    Yup! Maybe they're in denial themselves that they're over 40!
    If he doesn't know you know, tease him a little (in a very nice away) about why he didn't tell you the truth!

At least it isn't 14 when he said he was 19! PHEW!
  • Options
    I can get my age wrong from time to time. he was probably just having a senior moment.
  • Options
    The main thing is that they didn't say that they were 18, only to find that they're only 15!
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    The main thing is that they didn't say that they were 18, only to find that they're only 15!

Psst. That's what I said! :p
  • Options
    My bad, soz.
  • Options
    I agree that lying about age can get one into trouble in the long run, when partner find out the truth, they will be more upset about lying than not being the right age. An opinion research survey by Help the Aged has found that one in five of us has at some point lied about our age. Apparently, the statistic rises to a third among 18- to 34-year-olds. :blush:
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    My bad, soz.

S'no bad!