Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

lip piercing - bad for your teeth?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i really want to get a lip piercing in the summer. however i have pretty good teeth and was wondering if i was right in thinking that its going to take the enamel off my teeth and if so..would there be a way in order to prevent it? id just be gettin a ring.

any thoughts appreciated but more from people with experience of this :)

cheers guys

Comments

• Options
    oright dude

i have 3 lip piercings in the centre of mi lip and ive found that it does not affect you're teeth at all unless u have a lip bar bigger then it should be...(you end up chomping down in the back of it) but what i do sujestt is properly caring for it as i didnt and it coused me all sorts of problems just swill warm salt water once in the morning and once before you go to bed and you're sorted :thumb:
  • Options
    sweet, do you take it out before you go to bed anyway?
  • Options
    Um... actually, in my experience, they can be bad for your teeth.

I've had mine for the past 8, nearly 9 years, and whilst it hasn't affected my teeth themselves, it has eroded the gum at the base of the tooth. Doesn't cause any pain but is fairly unsightly to look at and my dentist does love to shout at me whenever I see him. If you want it fixed it costs a fortune as well, because they have to do a gum graft.

Definitely worth thinking about. Although if you have a ring, it may not be so bad.

Oh, and you don't take it out before bed. Until it has properly healed, the advice is not to take it out at all. I've had mine out for a month at the longest - but as I said, I've had mine forever!
  • Options
    My friend has really messed up her teeth cause of lip piercings. That, and she got her electric toothbrush stuck in it. Not a good time.
  • Options
    plastic is the way to go...or to get a laberet...doesn't seem to do as much damage...
  • Options
    Um... actually, in my experience, they can be bad for your teeth.

I've had mine for the past 8, nearly 9 years, and whilst it hasn't affected my teeth themselves, it has eroded the gum at the base of the tooth. Doesn't cause any pain but is fairly unsightly to look at and my dentist does love to shout at me whenever I see him. If you want it fixed it costs a fortune as well, because they have to do a gum graft.

Definitely worth thinking about. Although if you have a ring, it may not be so bad.

Oh, and you don't take it out before bed. Until it has properly healed, the advice is not to take it out at all. I've had mine out for a month at the longest - but as I said, I've had mine forever!

why do you think your piercing causes this? My gums are receding as well, and I don't have a piercing.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    why do you think your piercing causes this? My gums are receding as well, and I don't have a piercing.

I've heard that it's the metal on the back of the post, when it grinds against the gum (when smiling for example) but i think it can be helped slightly by having a bioplast labret (one with plastic on the end)
  • Options
    If you are concerned about such things you could discuss it with your dentist. I am sure they would advise against getting one but they should be able to explain how they cause damage so you can make up your own mind.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

My dentist told me :D

Also, because it has only happened in the area where the piercing is - the rest of my gums all around my teeth are absolutely fine.
  • Options
    i think it also depends on the shape of your mouth, lips and teeth etc, and the bar you have in. my boyfriend took his out after 6 months because you could visibly see where it was rubbing his gum away, quite badly. i think it was because he had a longer bar in because he had a thicker lip. however iv had mine for 4 or 5 years now i think and i always ask the dentist whether its affecting my gums yet and he said it isnt at all. when it does start i think il take it out. id just suggest giving it a go :]