Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

at a loss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have a chronic condition, and recently i think i have got a virus or something like that... it is causing me to be more ill and run down, and ultimately i am falling behind with my work. it's also making me feel low because having a virus is what caused the chronic condition in the first place... i don't want to keep having to go to my tutors about it because they must get so fed up. i replay conversations in my head and see how miserable i look/sound... i'm not sure what to do... i send emails all the time, i get flustered and anxious/paranoid if i talk to them in person... i need to say something though.

meh.. don't know if i even want to do this course anymore. i have nothing else to do though, and i doubt any job would be as lenient. sorry if this is so incredibly whiney, not sure what to do though

Comments

• Options
    You should try to take some time out. If you are ill, you are ill, and your tutors should not judge you for that. Could you get a cert & get your meds checked to see if you are taking the correct dose. dealing with it now will prevent things from getting worse & try to stop worrying about what other people think of you... they are probably worrying about how people see them too! You have to look after number one, & if you aren't happy in the course, there isn't much point doing it as you won't enjoy using that qualification after. I did accounting, & I never want to see a calculator again! go to the doctor & keep asking questions till you get the answers you need. good luck!
  • Options
    thanks for the reply, makes a lot of sense. i have a doctor's appointment now... hopefully if i persevere, then i will get some answers.
  • Options
    I know exactly how you feel, i have been ill on and off for 18 months and been really bad the past 6 I had a viral infection which gave symptoms of a chest infection and agrivated my asthma basically resulted in me having 13 lots of antibiots, 3 lots of steriods and they have wiped my immune system!!! and left me with post viral chronica fatigue - took months to diagnose (over 14months!)
    I have been missing work but reduced hours and that has helped and feel that in the right role I could work more hours you just have to learn to realise you need to rest - took me ages.
    This has resulted in me loosing most of my friends and having no real life at all but trying to be positive (which is hard)
    Def go and see a dr, could be something similar to this or even glandular fever type thing
    Good luck
  • Options
    i've had similar problems, i fucked up my hip and was on heavy duty painkillers for a month, and then got so stressed out because i was behind i had a relapse of a long running condition and ended up in A&E.

Now i've discussed it with my tutors they have all been very helpful and considerate, but unfortunatly its not up to them if i get given extra time, or have my work marked accordingly, it has to go to the uni's marking board....

just be as honest as you can with them, they are *on the whole* decent human beings...
  • Options
    i suppose you're right, twisted_trinity, i will see how the appointment goes then have a chat with someone... most of the time though they say, well as your tutor i can give you extensions, have more dialogue, maybe refer you... it's like, i 'm looking to them for answers, but they can only do so much.