Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Animal Rights tw*ts protesting outside my office

Well not right outside, but accross the road.

5 minutes of Googling told me that this lot are the SHAC (Stop Huntingdon Life Cruelty), 7 of whose most senior members have just been banged up for blackmail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHAC

These people really don't have anything better to do with their time. Hippy bastards. Go and get a bloody job I say!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Surely it's something to distract you. A great chance to people watch. I wish I had something to look at out my window.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Surely it's something to distract you. A great chance to people watch. I wish I had something to look at out my window.

I could come by, make a bonfire and dance naked around it.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Go outside and punch them in the face.
  • Options
    Dress up as a giant rabbit, then go outside and start dry humping one of them
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I could come by, make a bonfire and dance naked around it.

I think I'd rather shut the curtains. Unless you agree to not take your clothes off :p
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

Don't forget the person dressed as a giant needle beside you.
  • Options
    I like the scientology protestors best.
  • Options
    There's a serious point to be made about animal testing, but the most effective way is in informed dialogue with the scientific community, not calling the local newspapers to label them paedophiles...
    Hippy bastards. Go and get a bloody job I say!

I sincerely hope that was meant ironically...
  • Options
    There's a serious point to be made about animal testing, but the most effective way is in informed dialogue with the scientific community, not calling the local newspapers to label them paedophiles...

I sincerely hope that was meant ironically...

Are you an animal rights person?

I doubt it was meant ironically, Thunderstruck often injects his pet mouse with all sorts :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    I doubt it was meant ironically, Thunderstruck often injects his pet mouse with all sorts :p

But only to see if it's safe for me :)
  • Options
    But only to see if it's safe for me :)
    25 mg/kg dose of IV irony should sort you out ;)
  • Options
    these guys should let us test on them if they are that bothered.

i can understand that they feel very strongly about it and sort of agree in principle if there were better alternatives but the way these freaks go about it is beyond the joke. They are nothing more than a gang of thugs, but with worse hygiene.
  • Options
    Freedom of speech.

Deal with it.

Not to be harsh like... But it's their right to protest. There are different debates surrounding the use of animals in experimentation. These people are just giving their opinion.
  • Options
    Dress up as a giant rabbit

Wearing lip-stick and smoking cigarettes.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Freedom of speech.

Deal with it.

Not to be harsh like... But it's their right to protest. There are different debates surrounding the use of animals in experimentation. These people are just giving their opinion.

theres a difference between protest and ruining peoples lives.

these people need locking up, same as those stupid twats who do the anti-capitalism riots, sorry i mean protests.
  • Options
    Freedom of speech.

Deal with it.

I agree pretty much! Though a lot of Animal Rights activists do take it too far. I am 'pro human' as I like to call it, if they need to test something on rats to see if it works I'm all for it. I think there should be rigorous scientific backing behind it though, rather than just poking animals with untested drugs to see if they die or not or at what level they die. Mind you, then we wouldn't have the LD50 for glorious things like caffeine.
  • Options
    This needs to be POTW so badly.
  • Options
    theres a difference between protest and ruining peoples lives.

these people need locking up, same as those stupid twats who do the anti-capitalism riots, sorry i mean protests.

Some...

You tend to get a mixed bag with people who believe in animal rights, or who are anti-capitalist. The spectrum is huge.

The majority of people won't be violent, as violence doesn't often do a campaign image much good. A lot of the time it's media hype.

But I do disagree with a lot of cases (not all) where breaking the law is used as a tactic for creating change, I mean in the form of hurting other people.

But as for the original post... I still don't see the issue with a demonstration.
  • Options
    SHAC and the ALF are pretty much one and the same thing and their basic reasoning behind all the very horrible that some of their members commit in their name (digging up on guy at HLS' dead mothers springs instantly to mind) is that the end justifies the means.

Namaste, you may be right in that most of these hippy types merely want to protest peacefully and get things done in a democratic fashion though by associating with groups like SHAC, ALF and the biggest terror organisation of them all, PETA, who are known to operate well outside the bounds of the law to acheive their aim, they surely risk being tarred with the same brush and thus not being taken seriously.

My issue with the demo is that they were bloody noisy and prevented me doing any work for a good hour.
  • Options
    One could make the argument as well that a noisy and emotionally charged demonstration could be intimidating as well which infringes your right to work in a safe and happy environment.
  • Options
    SHAC and the ALF are pretty much one and the same thing and their basic reasoning behind all the very horrible that some of their members commit in their name (digging up on guy at HLS' dead mothers springs instantly to mind) is that the end justifies the means.

Namaste, you may be right in that most of these hippy types merely want to protest peacefully and get things done in a democratic fashion though by associating with groups like SHAC, ALF and the biggest terror organisation of them all, PETA, who are known to operate well outside the bounds of the law to acheive their aim, they surely risk being tarred with the same brush and thus not being taken seriously.

My issue with the demo is that they were bloody noisy and prevented me doing any work for a good hour.
    lol "hippy types"

What a balanced argument you have. :rolleyes:

I know some people in the AR movement, same as with the anti-capitalist movement. The media does a number on making them look bad... There's reality, then there's what the media says.

Not that I allign myself with PETA. I dislike their campaign tactics (even some of the legal/main ones I find offensive and I live a vegan lifestyle :no: ), or say... Earth First, but the people who actually go out and commit violence are in the hugest minority.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    One could make the argument as well that a noisy and emotionally charged demonstration could be intimidating as well which infringes your right to work in a safe and happy environment.

But then where do you draw the line?

Million Women Rise, the anti-war marches, the cimate change demonstrations... They could all be seen as infringing rights.
  • Options
    Why can't people just have a nice cup of tea and talk about things over biscuits?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Why can't people just have a nice cup of tea and talk about things over biscuits?

Make sure there's only sustainably farmed soy milk in the tea and the biscuits are sourced locally, as to avoid the evils of the Mcvities corporate empire.

Else we'll have to go smash some shop windows and dig up some graves. :yes:
  • Options
    Make sure there's only sustainably farmed soy milk in the tea and the biscuits are sourced locally, as to avoid the evils of the Mcvities corporate empire.

Else we'll have to go smash some shop windows and dig up some graves. :yes:

Noooooooooo! Not Alpro Soy! Nooooooo!

Okay, I would actual milk in my tea so go dig some graves.
  • Options
    But then where do you draw the line?

Million Women Rise, the anti-war marches, the cimate change demonstrations... They could all be seen as infringing rights.

I don't know. But I think it's something worth thinking about, rather than going cavalier (I just really wanted to use that word :D) and say the ends justify the means.

I think you can have a happy medium of protesting whilst not intimidating people. Maybe the point of some protests is to intimidate people though...?
  • Options
    I like to think about the protests for G8 and the one's for the millenium (breaking the chains of debt) that took place in Edinburgh. I went to both of these. 9 years ago I was only 11/12 but it was just a massive group of people making a huge chain around the city. Then for G8 (though there were some nutters that ruined it) we marched around the city. It was fine. Just a walk with people who really care about something. The point was not the anarchy or doing mental or infringing anybody's rights. It was just a call to attention that there are hundreds of thousands of people who want things to change.

But then, it didn't really work.
  • Options
    Yea TBH I meant the more emotionally charged protests where you could believe the people are that hyped up they could throttle someone's life out of them right then and there.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of having a debate with someone who is extremely passionate about something, and gets so incensed by the debate they are intimidating. Now imagine 10,000 people like that protesting outside your workplace. Scary stuff.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yea TBH I meant the more emotionally charged protests where you could believe the people are that hyped up they could throttle someone's life out of them right then and there.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of having a debate with someone who is extremely passionate about something, and gets so incensed by the debate they are intimidating. Now imagine 10,000 people like that protesting outside your workplace. Scary stuff.

You see? And I ignore those wankers. So I'd ignore thousands of them.
  • Options
    I'd probably try to ignore them :p and maybe not succeed. I am a nervous person, lol!