Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

should i tell him i love him?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been talking to a guy online for almost 6 years now we have never met but keep in contact through text, MSN, email and phone almost every day i know im in love with him but should i tell him?

Comments

• Options
    6 years!!!? and why haven't you met????
  • Options
    you should meet up for starters.

6 years is sooo long. Prepare that there is no more romantical feeling from his side.

I pessimistically defined love like this once and had a friend laugh, but I think it kinda works: Love is the reason why you are together with someone, long after you forgot why you are together with this person.

So imho that's why people are together for a long time (when the romantical lovey honey phase ends). So chances are there is no more fire in the stove, but before you do anything I'd suggest meeting up and see how it goes. You will have a better picture then if it's worth pursuing.
  • Options
    angel207 wrote: »
    Ive been talking to a guy online for almost 6 years now we have never met but keep in contact through text, MSN, email and phone almost every day i know im in love with him but should i tell him?

Personally, I don't think you can love somebody unless you know them face to face. You can have feelings approximating to love, but unless you actually spend time together, and really know the person, it's impossible to love them.

Meet them, see how you do in person, and then figure out if you love them.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think you can love somebody unless you know them face to face. You can have feelings approximating to love, but unless you actually spend time together, and really know the person, it's impossible to love them.

Meet them, see how you do in person, and then figure out if you love them.

I disagree.

I was in touch with someone for 4 years and felt that way, and then met them in real life and it just confirmed it for me.
    Unfortunatly he lives too far away for it to ever work so it's a constantly depressing situation for me.

It depends how you think he'd react I supose, and if he felt the same way; if it'd be possible to make something of it.

I would suggest meeting up before you say anything.
  • Options
    I agree with Lu, you can love someone without meeting them.
    With so much talking and communication, feeling start to grow.
    Unless you have experienced that you wouldn't understand.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I disagree.

That might just be, because his Internet persona and his real life persona were both interesting and loveable individuals (yea, I'd like to count these are individuals, since a person can vary vastly from how he/she is in real life).

It's very often the case tho, that you are really enamored with someone you know over the Internet and then there is just plain nothing when you meet them in real life. You CAN say you are in love with this persons internet persona, but that doesn't say you will like them in real life, and vice versa.
  • Options
    When i got my first GF which was online i could tell from te way she typed..it was ment to be, i was too young for a LDR though so it ended.

Meet up with him though, find out if its true..=D
  • Options
    Aye, be honest with him. You'll forever be wondering about what might have been if you don't say anything. :)

I'm not sure if it's possible to fall in love with someone over the internet, but it's certainly possible to develop real feelings towards another person...
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    That might just be, because his Internet persona and his real life persona were both interesting and loveable individuals (yea, I'd like to count these are individuals, since a person can vary vastly from how he/she is in real life).

It is true in some cases, yes. But if you talk to a person on the phone etc etc it's very hard not to get a sense of what someone is really like.

I've met a few people in real life that I have previously been in contact with online and via phonecalls etc... All of them have pretty much been what I expected.

However I know it's not always the case, which is why if I ever meet anyone off the net I always make sure I tell someone where I'm going and meet in a public place etc etc....
  • Options
    have decided not to tell him i dont wanna risk our friendship.
  • Options
    its getting to commit to meeting me thats the problem!
  • Options
    Maybe if he knew where you stood, he'd be more forthcoming? Maybe he ponders over the same thoughts you do... but doesn't know you are also having them?