Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Will it ever de-numb?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well as some of you may know I had an operation on 8th of January.

Recovery is going well... But my tummy is still numb and I can't remember how long this lasts and if indeed it'll ever wake up again cos the nerves have been cut through twice now in the same place.

I thought it was going to wake up a while ago cos I was getting itches (however couldn't scratch them away cos can't feel my nails on the skin - GGRRRR).
Thought it must have been the nerves waking up but it doesn't seem to have got any more feeling yet.
Also worried about accidentally hurting myself scratching when I can't feel it.

Anyone have any knowledge on this subject? Been in the same boat?

Comments

• Options
    Open surgery.

I've got a cut right along my bikini line... I had surgery in 2002 which left a 5 and a half inch scar, and now I've had surgery in the same place but now the scar is a lot wider so more nerves involved I should imagin. :(
  • Options
    Do you mean the scar is numb?
  • Options
    No, the scar isn't numb... it's just the area of skin between the scar and my belly button... Quite a large area tbh.

It's just odd.

Have you ever had local anesthetic for anything? It feels like that... :confused:
  • Options
    Oh right, hm I dunno then - I had surgery on my wrist a year and a half ago and the scar is still tingly and numbish to touch so i was wondering if that's what you meant.

Can't really offer any advice sorry :( Talk to your surgeon?
  • Options
    Yeah I will do. Not got my follow up appointment until April though, so might ask my GP next time I go.

I'm not particulally bothered about it; it's just annoying; and I'm not sure if it's normal or not.
    I guess the surgery isn't that long ago... I keep forgetting that it's not been very long since because I'm feeling so well.
  • Options
    Glad you're feeling well, that's really good to hear.

I had surgery that left a massive numb patch initially and the feeling gradually returned over time, but by time I mean the numb area was still shrinking for 6 months-year kind of time scale. I was seeing tissue viability nurses who are awesome people and know pretty much everything there is to know about this kind of stuff as far as I can tell and they said I'd get improvement over that kind of time scale but after 18 months what was still numb would stay numb for ever more.

Don't know if that's good news or bad news.

Oh, the other thing they said while there were still large areas of numbness was to be careful not to injure it and not notice, although you'd probably notice doing something to your tummy so that's a good thing.

xx
  • Options
    Glad you're feeling well, that's really good to hear.

I had surgery that left a massive numb patch initially and the feeling gradually returned over time, but by time I mean the numb area was still shrinking for 6 months-year kind of time scale. I was seeing tissue viability nurses who are awesome people and know pretty much everything there is to know about this kind of stuff as far as I can tell and they said I'd get improvement over that kind of time scale but after 18 months what was still numb would stay numb for ever more.

Don't know if that's good news or bad news.

Oh, the other thing they said while there were still large areas of numbness was to be careful not to injure it and not notice, although you'd probably notice doing something to your tummy so that's a good thing.

xx

Thanks. Yeah I guess that's a help... At least I won't be thinking it's never going to return to normal if I've got a few months to let it wake up again.

I suppose if the feeling never does return it's not going to be that big a deal... But it does affect stuff more than you'd expect it too really.

I'm still holding hope that the nerves will wake up because of the itching... and the fact that whenever someones accidentally touched near that area I've jumped cos it makes it all twitch - not very pleasant but hopefully a positive sign. :confused:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I lost all feeling in my right arm when I had several ops on it which left a 6 inch scar, it took a long while but I've got most if not all of the feeling back, talking over a scale of about 2 years.
  • Options
    The itching and twitching is a good sign, you're right about that one.

The twitching bit is also kind of handy, I've still got a not insignificant area without proper feeling, but there's enough there that I can feel a certain amount, you get used to the strangeness very quicky and it means that I'm unlikely to hurt it and not know.

Mine is now at a stage when the only time I notice is when the join between the scar tissue and the normal bit aches, and when my oh so lovely boyfriend strokes my back and goes over the numb/not numb bit which is a very strange sensation, my mind tells me his fingers must be crossing over the numb bit, but I have no idea.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I lost all feeling in my right arm when I had several ops on it which left a 6 inch scar, it took a long while but I've got most if not all of the feeling back, talking over a scale of about 2 years.

Wonder why it takes so long. Seems a bit odd really doesn't it, when you think about it. Glad you've got most of the feeling back now though. :)

ScaryMonster... I've not got a boyfriend at the moment but I'm kinda nervous what sex'd be like considering where the numbness is... it might be a bit strange. :S It's a bit of a mood killer when someone touches you and you physically jump away from them. :lol: