Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Still ill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have had a viral infection for 2 months now and it doesn't seem to be going. I am exhausted all the time, and it's getting to the stage where I am falling asleep in in lessons at school. I am sleeping well at night too so this doesn't make sense.

I feel sick all the time and this is putting me off food. Although I am still eating it is because I am being forced to. The thought of food right now physically repulses me, is this because I have a virus?

I have passed out twice in the past month at school and I know this is lack of energy and possibly stress. I can feel my school work going down hill and can predict failure all the time. I have always have zero confidence in anything I do but it seems to be getting worse now.

I feel really low and the smallest things are making me cry. My friends and family are getting annoyed with me because they think I am being lazy and just making a fuss, but this really isn't the case!

I have been to the doctors and all they said was rest etc. But this is getting ridiculous. I can only focus on negative things at the moment. I have been in a position of complete unhappyness before, and I really don't want to go there again. Can someone please please help me? :crying:

Amilie

Comments

• Options
    2 months is in my opinion too long for it just to be a simple viral infection. Have you tried different doctors?
  • Options
    i have seen two at the same surgery and they both said just plenty of rest and there is nothing they can do.
  • Options
    hey Amilie Rose :wave:

Welcome to Thesite! Seems like you have found the community here at the right time. There are loads of great factsheets, information and stories to check out and loads of great people to chat to and share experineces with.

Sound's like you are worried about things at the moment, and do not want to return to the unhappy place that you have been to before. What things did you do to get out of that place? It's great that you can recognise that you are not feeling the way you want to at the moment. With the right support Amilie, things can change.

As 'Lea UK' has said, it seems a long time to have a virus. How would it feel to return to your Doctor's again? explaining all the symptoms and feelings as you have on your post. Explain that you feel there may be more to this than just having a virus. Perhaps you could also speak to someone at your school? A school nurse, counsellor or head of year? Also as suggested on the thread, you could try a different Doctors altogether?

You may also find it helpful to chat to someone confidentially at Childline (if you are 18 or under) 0800 1111 or the Samaritans 08457 90 90 90.

What you are dealing with, whether it is a virus or not, must be hard and it's important that you feel supported. It's a shame your family and friends think you are just being lazy and making a fuss. Have they said this to you? How would it feel to talk to them again about how you are feeling at the moment?

Keep posting Amilie, let us know how you get on. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    if i went to a different doctors, would i have to register etc?
    i don't know how i got out of the unhappy place. It involved a lot of being forced to talk to my year head & tutor.
    My year head knows I am ill at the moment, but she thinks it is psychological. so i am starting to wonder if it is too, as everyone is saying this :S
  • Options
    It may well be glandular fever as xsazx suggests - this virus (EBV) can cause people serious problems with energy levels and leave people feeling rough for months. If school or work is suffering because of this you should probably get a doctors note and discuss it with a tutor or someone at the school.
  • Options
    The symptoms vary. But I am exhausted all the time, completely off food (I can't remember when I last had the normal three meals in a day), headache, dizzy and really shaky where I can even stand up. I keep going hot and cold too. It all sounds really pathetic but I feel so crap and don't feel like anything good can happen to me.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Unfortunately, you cannot really do anything with viruses. And the longer you try and fight it the longer you will be off ill :(
  • Options
    hang in there.

don't want to worry you, just want to inform you that I had something like that about 4/5 years ago.. last year i was diagnosed with M.E. so just keep a record of things, maybe a diary, and go back to your doctor in a few months... honestly.. just keep going back.

I hope though.. that you will recover. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok, I am going to get another doctor appointment. Do you think they will be able to write a note or something for my school - i have gcses soon.
    Out of interest, can you ever recover from M.E?
  • Options
    yeah definitely get a note and give it to your tutor/ head of year. also, make sure your parents know about the situation if they don't already, so they can back you up if your teachers start being awkward. (although they shouldn't be).

It varies from person to person. Some recover, others don't recover. My advice though, is to get diagnosed quickly (if it is that), so you can get the help you need.
  • Options
    I think it is really unlikely that I do have M.E, a friend of mine has it and she has to be home tutored it is so extreme.
    I have had glandular fever before and I have been told that you can't get it more than once.
    Thank you for all your help :)