Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Walking on the Road

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you are in a place where there is no pavement and you can only walk on the actual road, would you walk on the left or right side of the road (assuming you're in a country where they drive on the left like the UK) and give reasons why you picked the side you picked..

I have my own thoughts which I shall reveal later ... but for now don't want to influence anyone .. :)

Comments

• Options
    I would walk with the traffic coming towards me. So that i dont have oncoming cars coming up behind me. So that would be the right hand side.
  • Options
    what a strange question.. i guess i would walk on the other side to where the car is for obvious reasons..

Another reason is it depends where im going. example to a shop id be on the side it was on.
  • Options
    I usually walk on the left. I know you're "supposed" to walk into the oncoming traffic (why? It's not like they're gonna see you any faster, esp. if you're not wearing high-vis), but eh. It's habit. I feel really weird walking down the pavement even on the right side of the road.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I usually walk on the left. I know you're "supposed" to walk into the oncoming traffic (why? It's not like they're gonna see you any faster, esp. if you're not wearing high-vis), but eh. It's habit. I feel really weird walking down the pavement even on the right side of the road.

Well you'll be able to see the car coming towards you easier won't you. If you have your back to the oncoming traffic you have no idea about how far a car is from you etc.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    On the right facing traffic like in the highway code, plus its fairly common sense!
  • Options
    Facing oncoming traffic so I can throw myself into a bush if I see a car isn't going to avoid me.
  • Options
    yea fuck that cars comin up behind ya

right hand side all the way! common sense!
  • Options
    your also supposed to cross the road at blind bends so that cars can see you more clearly.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    If you are in a place where there is no pavement and you can only walk on the actual road, would you walk on the left or right side of the road (assuming you're in a country where they drive on the left like the UK) and give reasons why you picked the side you picked..

I have my own thoughts which I shall reveal later ... but for now don't want to influence anyone .. :)

I would definitely walk on the right side of the road to see oncoming traffic. And possibly jump out of the way of someone who is driving like a crazyyy :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Facing the oncoming traffic. So on the right.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    On the right.
    Apart from when travelling up hill. Then you walk on the left so you can still see traffic comign from behind you, and cross over to the right at the top of the hill, so you can face traffic going down.

I live in village with no pavements. Just grass and dragons teeth.

Becomes second nature by the age of 9.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I live in village with no pavements. Just grass and dragons teeth..

dragons teeth... ?? :eek2:
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Facing oncoming traffic so I can throw myself into a bush if I see a car isn't going to avoid me.

:yes:
  • Options
    facing traffic
  • Options
    walk facing traffic (whichever way that is)
  • Options
    in the middle
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Well you'll be able to see the car coming towards you easier won't you. If you have your back to the oncoming traffic you have no idea about how far a car is from you etc.
    Oh, yeh that makes sense. I guess I'm the odd one out here then :p. Tbf though, I don't often go walking on non-pavemented roads and I don't walk around in the dark too often either.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    dragons teeth... ?? :eek2:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/93028

A mile or so from where I live.

You should always walk on the right (that is if you live in the UK). Unless you are going up a blind hill in which case you should walk on the left until you reach the top.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    In Austria you should walk and drive your bike on the very left side so you see incoming traffic. Seeing that the UK people do everything opposite (like driving on the wrong side) I would assume you should walk on the right side.
  • Options

Go on then, which side do you walk on?
  • Options
    facing on coming traffic. i want to see my own death approaching
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe he walks on the underside.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    In Austria you should walk and drive your bike on the very left side so you see incoming traffic. Seeing that the UK people do everything opposite (like driving on the wrong side) I would assume you should walk on the right side.

We walk against traffic but cycle with traffic. Too much potential for disaster if you're cycling in the opposite irection.
  • Options

The right side of course .. ;)
  • Options
    On the right, will change sides when walking around a blind corner.
  • Options
    I"m far too lazy to walk so I would never have to deal with this :p