Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Deep pan spicy beef with extar racism please.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently, on our local news and in the free rag we get, Dominos are 'racist' in opening a new Halal pizza takeaway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7885311.stm
Some customers in Hall Green, Birmingham, have claimed the new policy discriminates against non-Muslims.

Are these customers able to tie their fucking shoes in the morning. What dumb twat honestly thinks it's 'racist' (admittedly not mentioned in the beeb article) for ONE store to stop selling pork products.

It's not as if they've stopped a Dominos selling pork products, this is a new franchise.

Comments

• Options
    I saw a Halal Subway Sandwich Shop in Leeds, I even tried the Halal Spicy something or the other - was nice. I don't actually think most Muslims would mind buying food from a place that sells both Halal and pork products as long as they're kept separate.

I'm not sure why they didn't just offer both and see how that went.
  • Options
    Lol, racist. It'd be religionist if anything. Anyway, if there was demand for pork-based pizzas, and it did a roaring trade in them, then they would've just had halal options, like they have vegetarian options. Since they didn't, I can only assume they never sold many pork products, and so it's a straight business decision. There's no point in buying ingredients you're only going to have to throw away anyway. Also, isn't Domino's a delivery service? What sort of lazy bastard can't be bothered to look for the phone number of one of the hundreds of Dominos that do sell the pizza they want?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Lol, racist. It'd be religionist if anything. Anyway, if there was demand for pork-based pizzas, and it did a roaring trade in them, then they would've just had halal options, like they have vegetarian options. Since they didn't, I can only assume they never sold many pork products, and so it's a straight business decision. There's no point in buying ingredients you're only going to have to throw away anyway. Also, isn't Domino's a delivery service? What sort of lazy bastard can't be bothered to look for the phone number of one of the hundreds of Dominos that do sell the pizza they want?
    Agreed, I was about to say the "religionist" and "why not offer both?" parts myself.
  • Options
    somepeople are such twats
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    DG wrote: »
    I saw a Halal Subway Sandwich Shop in Leeds, I even tried the Halal Spicy something or the other - was nice. I don't actually think most Muslims would mind buying food from a place that sells both Halal and pork products as long as they're kept separate.

I'm not sure why they didn't just offer both and see how that went.
    Actually a fairly significant number of Subway's are Halal, also places like Nandos are too.

I don't think I've seen barely a single takeaway round it that isn't Halal too.
  • Options
    Private business; no one else's business.
  • Options
    Actually, i think there is a serious point here, vis a vis the fact that ONLY having Halal products could shut the door on any potential future moves towards the consumption of compassionately farmed agriculture.

I don't think it can constructively be called a 'racist' decision, however.
  • Options
    Actually, i think there is a serious point here, vis a vis the fact that ONLY having Halal products could shut the door on any potential future moves towards the consumption of compassionately farmed agriculture.

:yes: I suppose we can't complain about fox hunting when Halal and Kosher animals are killed so horrifically.
  • Options
    We really really need to distinguish between race and religion. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Is it even religionist though ? What is being denied to someone who specifically, say, Christian ?

I don't pretend to know the bible but i'm pretty sure there isn't a 'Thou shalt have a thin and crispy Hawiian on the sabatth day.' !
  • Options
    I think the important thing here is that "some customers" probably refers to at most a couple of white people who looked like they'd flip at the very word "halal" being mentioned and thus added spice to the article. It would have been a complete non-story without the additional outrage of the public, and it's likely the vast majority of people in the area approve or don't care.
  • Options
    Well actually, the bible has the same rules about food as the Torah. But it's ignored as being in the Old Testament and so not counting. Interestingly, when it comes to hating homosexuals, suddenly the Old Testament is as relevant as ever.
  • Options
    I had breakfast at some cafe in London that was kinda posh looking - when I asked if the sausages that come with breakfast were pork they said it was chicken and that they don't serve pork there - so I asked what about the bacon then? And the guy said it was turkey Bacon.

I think the place must have been Jewish owned or something rather then Muslim but they were almost fooling the public into thinking the food was pork sausages and pork bacon by omitting that it wasn't pork.

Nowhere on their signs or menu's did it say what meat the food was made from. I think they feared a loss in business if people were openly informed it wasn't pork.

I prefer it when places that sell food are simply open and honest about what is in their food.

I have Hindu friends and we've never had a problem all going to McDonalds for Hamburgers and them ordering chicken or fish instead. I doubt many Muslims would have a problem with a pizza place that offered both Halal and pork toppings as long as they're kept apart. I think it's nice for everyone to have a choice.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I fail so see how its racist!

I don't agree with Halal products so I take that thing called personal choice and choose not to use products/brands that are Halal. Thats my choice - no one is forcing it upon me!

me too
  • Options
    Well actually, the bible has the same rules about food as the Torah. But it's ignored as being in the Old Testament and so not counting. Interestingly, when it comes to hating homosexuals, suddenly the Old Testament is as relevant as ever.

Ignored by who ? And relevant to whom ?
  • Options
    Ignored by who ? And relevant to whom ?

I think its ignored by Christians (e.g. pork, shellfish).
  • Options
    It's such a non story, it's ridiculous. Probably 50% of pizza places and fast food places in Birmingham are already Halal anyway.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I think its ignored by Christians (e.g. pork, shellfish).

Yes, I have noticed that. It makes me wonder to which God the self professed Christians I have encountered are making reference to.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Are these customers able to tie their fucking shoes in the morning. What dumb twat honestly thinks it's 'racist' (admittedly not mentioned in the beeb article) for ONE store to stop selling pork products.

They're Dominoes customers they can't be all that bright.

I wonder what being Muslim has to do with race?