Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so about September I noticed I had a patch on skin on my shoulder that felt different from my normal skin. At first I though it was just dry skin so mousturised and exfoliated but it's didn't to anything. Then I notices that I had two more patches on that arm and a small one on the other arm. Apart from the one on my shoulder the others are at the top of my arm at the back. They aren't flaky like dry skin and are about the size of a 50p piece. They are a slighlty different colour from my skin, not birght red or anything and not itchy.
Anyway I didn't worry about them until the beginning of last week when I noticed I had a patch of this skin under my eye about the size of a 10p piece. Now I have had dry skin on my face before and it's deffinatly not this especially as I moisutrise twice daily.
I just can't think what they are and feel a bit silly going the Dr's with them :blush:

Anyone any ideas or had something similar?!

Comments

• Options
    Don't feel silly about going to the doctors about it.

It could be something like eczema, or it could be a different kind of dermititis... But whatever it is, if it's not improving with the moisturising it may need some other treatment which a doctor will be able to recommend.
    It could also be useful to try and find out what's triggered it; for example it could be an allergy or a doctor might recognise it as being caused by something else and be able to tell you the best way to treat it.

What do you moisturise with?
    I'd recommend staying off any perfumed moisturisors and not exfoliating too hard cos you might be 'angering' it.
  • Options
    Thanks I'll make an appointment next week, it's just that it's not that noticable but I know it's there which is annoying.

I use baby oil as moisturiser and sometimes coco butter, but nothing heavily perfumed. On my face I use simple hydrating moisturiser.

I can't think what has caused it. I thought maybe something has rubbed but I wear my bag on my right shoulder and the majority of it is on the left. Then I thought it was my ipod holder I wear from the gym but I don't wear it that high :no: . I don't wear clothes that could scratch and rub against my skin either and I checked to see if my mum has changed the washing powder but it's the same one we always use. It just seems like nothing because it's not as if it really itches or anything :chin:

I shall go the Dr's though and if it's nothing at least I know it's nothing :yes:
  • Options
    Skin can be strange.

I started with allergic eczema around my eyes last year... I wasn't using anything different, I just suddenly became allergic to the makeup I've been using for years. :impissed:

It could even be something like a shower-gel or a shampoo you've been using that irritates the skin as it washes over it. :confused:

If it's started coming up in other places too I would suggest it's best to try and get it sorted out though.

I'd try using E45 moisturisor... If that doesn't work there's Aqueous cream which is good for dry skin.
  • Options
    My skin had a random freak out in the middle of last year i've still no idea what caused it anyway i changed shower gel to sanex for a few months and used E45 cream and it seemed to go back to normal after a while - i had lots of non ichy red blotches on myself - hummm
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I'd try using E45 moisturisor... If that doesn't work there's Aqueous cream which is good for dry skin.

Aqueous is good for washing with as well.

I had this problem last year - had an idea what caused it, because it was something new and not what I'd normally use. Am ok now after changing to something else.
  • Options
    Same - Last year i started getting huge dry patches on my neck, i went to a dermatologist and she gave me some aqueous cream to use and it healed up fine. Still get it on the tops of my arms sometimes but i reckon once summer comes it will clear up a bit.