Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Too much static electricity

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
This has been going on and off (but mostly on) for several years now.
It seems I get static shocks too easily. When I touch something metal, there's about a 1 in 4 chance I'll get a jolt. It mostly happens with stair railings.
There's one in a specific store that I'm afraid to touch because I've never touched it without getting one. I even told people there in case some cable was making contact with them, and they said none of them (who work there) has ever felt it.
The other day someone drove me to the metro station; as I was closing the car's door, I got such a big jolt that my hand was shaking for a few seconds and for several minutes later, my fingers were bending on their own if I relaxed them (they naturally stay spread).

I could go on with more examples, but it all boils down to this: It's not the things I touch that cause it, it's me somehow. Any ideas? :shocking:

EDIT: Ok, 1 in 4 was probably an exaggeration, but it does happen a lot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Too much wanking = static build up :yes:
  • Options
    I can't help, but I have a colleague who is getting 4-5 shocks per day during work. The main difference here is that he has only been getting it from beginning of 2009.
  • Options
    stop wearing synthetics...

simple as that...
  • Options
    stop wearing synthetics...

:yes:

Really does help! I think some people are just more shocky than others, but the more natural fibres you wear, the less you get zapped :)
  • Options
    the tube is the worst place for it...i can only wear synthetic trousers, and even then i'm likely to get a shock
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, I rarely wear synthetic stuff. Almost all of what I wear is 100% cotton, especially in Summer, and I still get many jolts then.
    I guess I should never go outside during a storm, huh?