Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Accents.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I've only been here for like five minutes and I see that the majority of yous people are from England. (UK? Britain? Idk wtf you guys like to call your country, :hyper: )

Girls here in America melt for English accents.
Does that go the other way around, for American accents?

Cause that would be super hella sick dope for cereal.

Also, what's your favorite accent?

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    UK is inc. Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
    But not really, the only accent I've heard and like the sound of in America is some Texan and Colorado. Accents like Irish, Australian, Russian will get me everytime :p
  • Options
    Irish, Geordie and Eastern European accents on girls are awesome. Yes please.
  • Options
    Hi there i LOVE american accents esp new york l.a love irish geordie+australian too
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    nope hate the amercian accent!

Me too. Do quite like Glasgow accents.
  • Options
    yay for irish accents, mines a Limerick accent tho, not one of Irelands fav accents but different when abroad i suppose..

LOve scottish, some english, and russian accents. Most american accents annoy me to be fair..

Just to point out Javakrypt Ireland is NOT in the U.K.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    UK is inc. Ireland

Like fuck it is! British Isles yes but not the UK.

I don't really like American accents, a soft Southern accent on a lady is quite sexy though.

I like the French accent the most I think!
  • Options
    Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales
    UK = England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland
    British Isles = England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland

I think anway.

Anyways... I'm a bit indifferent to an american accent. French accents make me go weak at the knees.
  • Options
    thingking wrote: »
    So, I've only been here for like five minutes and I see that the majority of yous people are from England. (UK? Britain? Idk wtf you guys like to call your country, :hyper: )

Quick geography lesson for you - the United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland. You may refer to us all as 'England' while you're safely in yankland but trying doing so through the street of Glasgow (in Scotland) or Cardiff (capital of Wales) and I'll be impressed if you last more than 10 seconds ;)
    Discuss.

OK then.

American accent to me sounds thick. Not saying you ARE, but that's just how it sounds. Sorry but you asked....

As for UK accents, I've never heard a Scottish I've been able to stand for more than a minute (note to Edith Bowman - the word is 'brilliant" not brrrriw-yant), same for Scouse too.

Best accents - Welsh or Geordie. Excet when it comes out of the mouth of Cheryl Cole.
  • Options
    if cheryl cole had a geordiie builders accent id still eat cold curry chips outta her knickers:love:
  • Options
    if cheryl cole had a geordiie builders accent id still eat cold curry chips outta her knickers:love:

You'd know you're from Limerick! ;)
  • Options
    hahaha just cant rid myself of that limerick common streak! maybe it could work between me and cheryl after all. :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

There are so many though. Some of them you'd have trouble undertstanding.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aj fan wrote: »
    Hi there i LOVE american accents esp new york l.a love irish geordie+australian too

What is a "new york" accent to you? I find alot of people on here, in the accent threads, think it is the way people talk on tv because thats how those douchbag boring tards on "Friends" speak and hey, they live in NY :p

I can't imagine even a deaf person finding a ny accent hot :p
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales
    UK = England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland
    British Isles = England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland

I think anway.

Anyways... I'm a bit indifferent to an american accent. French accents make me go weak at the knees.

I think...

2 major islands, one called Britain (England, Wales & Scotland), one called Ireland (Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland.)

UK = Britain + Northern Ireland (but definitely NOT Republic, haha)

British Isles also includes Isle of Mann and the Channel Isles etc.

I think it's officially the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" but I have heard it mentioned with some variation of "..and outlying islands" on the end.

Main thing to note is the Republic of Ireland isn't UK or Great Britain, but is part of the British Isles as part of the island of Ireland.

Oh and American accents are hot, except from the slow "thick" sounding ones. Or ones where I can't tell a word people are saying (like a few off The Wire)
  • Options
    The Wire = best show since sopranos

on season 5, dunno what im gonna do when its done!
  • Options
    Does that go the other way around, for American accents?

There is no single English accent. There are loads of them, just as there are loads of American accents.

I quite like some American accents but less keen on the deep, Southern, hillbilly-type.
  • Options
    I don't like the Cleetus sounding American accent, or the whiney dumb sounding American or the ditzy high school cheerleader American accent.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    I think...

2 major islands, one called Britain (England, Wales & Scotland), one called Ireland (Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland.)

UK = Britain + Northern Ireland (but definitely NOT Republic, haha)

British Isles also includes Isle of Mann and the Channel Isles etc.

I think it's officially the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" but I have heard it mentioned with some variation of "..and outlying islands" on the end.

Main thing to note is the Republic of Ireland isn't UK or Great Britain, but is part of the British Isles as part of the island of Ireland.

Which is basically what I said with less words. :p Except I forgot the bit about the Isle of Man and other islands.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I love oirish accents, the further south the better :thumb: :yes:

An Oirish girl talking dirty.....giggidy giggidy goo!
  • Options
    rafael nadal's.. not just his accent but the way he speaks english.. cute!!
  • Options
    So where is Bear Grylles from? It is too cute the way he says "glacier" and "vitamin" took me ages to figure the glacier one out.
  • Options
    The only was to describe bear grylls is 'posh' - its kinda posh devon with some posh etonian thrown in, with 2 heaped spoonfuls of AWESOME.
  • Options
    I went to America a couple of years ago and one of the things that stood out to me was how much easier it is to impress a girl when you only have to open your mouth and reveal an English accent.

I'm sure some of the more metropolitan states are different, but where I went - in Iowa - there weren't many tourists from outside the state let alone from across the Atlantic.

While I did like the attention, I didn't like some of the slightly annoying questions.

"Do you know the Queen?"

"Have you been to The Buckingham Palace?"

"Do you like Harry Potter?"

It's a double edged sword.
  • Options
    The best thing to do when confronted by thick Americans like that is to play along with them.."yes, I was chatting to Her Majesty only the other day. She pop to my house when she gets the chance, which isn't very often to be honest, what with her schedule. My butler used to work for her though. I personally went to Buckingham Palace to interview him."

It's fun to see how far you can go before they rumble you :D
  • Options
    The best question ive heard from an american was talking to a danish buddy, she asked him if they had the same problems with the vikings as they did with blacks in america.

totally true there and she was not joking :P
  • Options
    Eastern European will get me everytime

dont like scottish much or george or scouse
  • Options
    The best question ive heard from an american was talking to a danish buddy, she asked him if they had the same problems with the vikings as they did with blacks in america.

totally true there and she was not joking :P

aw, thats quite cute! sort of...

when i was in new hampshire in the US a teenage boy asked me if i was from the swedish part of england because i had blonde hair. hmm..
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All I know is that (most) USA accents are easy for me to understand, while (most) UK/British/Whateverish accents I used to have trouble with. There could be many reasons for that: I watch more USA-made movies than UK-therest ones, and the accents are more similar to mine.
  • Options
    i like the coventry/warwickshire accent. very subtle but yummy :)

and of course the sexy northerners :p