Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anaemia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I went to give blood yesterday but couldn't because I don't have enough haemoglobin (or enough red blood cells, whichever). I've never had that problem before, and the nurse said it was significantly below healthy levels so she has to send it off for tests.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Should I go to my GP or wait to hear from NBS?

Comments

• Options
    go to the GP, because they might be able to speed things up. never rely on the NHS getting back to you...
  • Options
    im anaemic, i have been on and off since i was a teenager recently but im in my 20s now and im still struggling with it a bit. i get cheilosis (cracks at the side of your mouth that dont heal up :|) and shortness of breath, im paaaale (although i have pale skin anyway) and bruise veeeeeeery easily.

if you go to the doctors about it im guessing all they will really say is to up your iron intake. they'll give you information on changing your diet to include more iron rich foods and probably advise you to take iron tablets too. you're meant to take one a day but im taking 2 at the moment, the side effects arent very nice! they'll probably send you for a blood test too :] taking iron tablets with a drink of orange juice helps too because apparently vitamin C helps the iron absorb.
  • Options
    I'm anemic on and off similar to Fiery, I get shortness of breath and very very tired (sleeping for 10 hours a night and still tired in the day), also eating loads of paper and other non-food things which I found out recently is a symptom of anemia!

is iron deficiency the same as low red blood cells?
  • Options
    Low red blood cells is usually a result of iron definiciency because your body uses iron to make red blood cells (that's a very simplistic summary but its the right jist).

The NBS have always been very good at getting back to me, but if it's a nightmare to get a useful appointment at your GP then it's probably worth trying to make one at your convenience.

Unless the levels are really worryingly low the first response is usually to give you some dietry advice on upping the iron in your diet (red meat and green leafy veg being the two main sources) and seeing how it goes from there. A one off low iron level is usually from having low iron in your diet in the preceeding time, repeated ones are where problems lie.