Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Virgin Atlantic are 25 years old - and sexist?!

Says Mail Online: "For many, it is a classic example of tongue-in-cheek retro advertising. Disgruntled passengers sit waiting for a flight in a dingy Heathrow in 1984 while a smart-talking businessman chatters into a brick-sized mobile phone. Suddenly, to the sound of Frankie Goes to Hollywood classic Relax, five gorgeous air stewardesses swish through the airport as stunned men turn to gawp and ogle. But at least 29 people have complained that the high-profile TV ad campaign created to celebrate Virgin Atlantic's 25th anniversary is sexist."

I can't really say much about airports themselves. I've never even visited one in my life, so I wouldn't really know how they work or what they're like. However, I must admit that I've really enjoyed this advert on TV. I think the way that pretty much everything is dated from the 1980s is sheer genius.

As for the idea it's sexist, don't make me laugh. I suggest these 29 people who complained are given a date with a guillotine - and send those 4 ex-bankers who were in Parliament today there with them. Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Couldn't care less. The girls are stunning!
  • Options
    copying catch me if you can, how to break into an airport which is highly guarded with peopel out to arrest you - pay for 10 attractive young women to dress up like stewardesses and pretend to be a pilot :p
  • Options
    I think it's a great advert!
  • Options
    I don't think it's sexist at all.

Some people need to get a life I think.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Some people need to get a life I think.

Agreed. :rolleyes:

Mail have taken their time anyway, first saw this advert before Christmas.......
  • Options
    I think the adverts great, the girls are fit as fuck.

How can it be sexist, theres a guy in the picture :D

Its only an advert. Some people have far too much time on their hands.
  • Options
    Don't really care, didn't think the girls were anything special to look at but the red uniform looks nice - I'd have preferred to have seen an advert that perhaps showed more about the customer service aspect of the airline - virgin along with British Airways have enjoyed a joint Monopoly for many years on being the only British Airlines to be allowed to fly direct flights from the UK to the USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU-US_Open_Skies_Agreement
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    showed more about the customer service aspect of the airline

I think being served by attractive women who are polite and friendly is a great customer service selling point.

BTW Monarch fly to the USA as well.