Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Data Recovery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know anything about this? I've got a USB memory stick but for some reason neither my laptop or PC will pick it up so I'm thinking something has gone wrong somewhere down the line (Haven't used it for at least a year and a half).
I'm guessing this will be pretty pricey but is there any way I can get the data off it? It's really not that urgent and I could probably find the files from other places/people but would just like all info back at once, if possible! Has anyone got any experiences of this? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Check your computer doesn't have any issues with the USB ports. It should work, do you have access to external computers? Sometimes I get this but a change or port, a quick uninstall and reinstall if needed on the USB drivers and it works. Try that. Go to the My Computer, right click, click properties, then the hardware tab, device manager. then USB controllers.
  • Options
    Javakrypt, this stick has failed on 2 machines.
  • Options
    Is the computer recognising anything at all? ie does it start to install or does it do nothing.

If it's the latter then you may have a loose connection on the USB stick. If the former then your flash memory has become corrupted or dead. Either way if the files are important they can probably be recovered at a price.
  • Options
    if it's a near dud, recuva possibly if it;s a corrupted filesystem

http://www.recuva.com/

heard it's good :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. It doesn't even pick it up when I put it in the USB Port so it probably is dead.
    Thanks for the link wheresmyplacebo, will it still work though? as the stick isn't connecting to my computer/being recognised.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Javakrypt, this stick has failed on 2 machines.
    Yes but it could be a broken or corrupt driver for the USB ports.