Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Get the veg in.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
America are about togo into TAILSPIN OF DESPAIR AND THE uk IS AS GOOD AS ABOUT TO CLOSE DOWN.
eIGHT MILLION UNEMPLOYED THIS YEAR IN THE uk.
hIGH STREETS BOARDED UP.
OoPs Caps ...
Food will be very very expensive this year and imported stuff almost non existant.
Digthe lawn up ...get planting.
Rough times are upon us.

Comments

• Options
    this post reminds me of the front page of the sun or mirror or something. yack.
  • Options
    I think that urban agriculture can provide not only affordable food, but job opportunities.

Worked for Havana... Granted not every city is Havana, but it's gonna help at least some. People who have front gardens can have their lawns grow food, or old parking lots, the tops of buildings.

Hopefully we can invest in other forms of agriculture too obviously.

The economic situation is already smarting and gonna get worse... We need localisation.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    The economic situation is already smarting and gonna get worse... We need localisation.
    I'm increasingly coming to the same conclusion. We can see plenty of evidence that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. We were told, for example, that bigger media groups would increase choice and improve quality. Really? Let's take ITV1 as an example. Back in the day, ITV1 was a group of 15 regional companies which were all fiercely competitive. It made some of the best television in the UK and regularly got far more viewers than the BBC. Nowadays, all the ones in England and Wales are part of ITV plc - and the quality of the channel has gone right down the pan. It's gonna get even worse if Ofcom allows it to slash its regional commitments yet again. That may not be an entirely relevant example here, but it's one context where bigger isn't better.

In terms of agriculture, the first thing that comes to mind is the European Union's much-beloved Common Agricultural Policy. Thanks to this frankly barmy piece of EU tomfoolery, food which could be sold to poorer countries has to be destroyed just because the French are constantly harping on about their "poor" farmers needing massive subsidies. It stinks.

In the economy, we've seen banks trying to take each other over left, right and centre. And what has happened? The Royal Bank of Scotland tried to buy ABN-Amro, a Dutch bank. It was possibly the worst takeover attempt ever - RBS is now nursing a £28billion loss, one of the largest in banking history. The bank is 70% owned by the government - and still these cunts are going to award themselves massive bonuses in the next few days!
  • Options
    think local fuck global is a good idea, but for someone like me, who lives in an area with a transcient community, in a flat, no garden, long list for allotments, no LETS or equivilant system, not that many local jobs- a fair few though but its still commuterville...

i agree, we all need to do it, but its a very slow process, and the goverment needs to put in far more community inciatives...
  • Options
    We should all turn cannibal, but only eat old people. Pension deficit, aging population and food problems solved in one stroke.
  • Options
    Recessions and bad times do have a few positive effects on people. I myself have changed attitudes to shopping and managing food. Before I wouldn't buy certain 'value' fruit or veg because it didn't look as pretty. Now I do buy it, and admit there is nothing wrong with.

Also, I didn't think much about the amount of food I threw away, whereas now I only buy what I'm pretty certain to use in the immediate future.