Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Will this hold/work/not break?... building stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say you have a stand that is 61cm (just tell me a better form of measurment to use if this one sucks) so 61cm long and 30.5cm deep.

Say I buy a hunk of wood that is 2.5cm thick and 122cm long. So it will look like http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/aname/bluprint.jpg

I'll secure it, I wont just let it hang out on top.

On top of that will go a tank that is 122cm long and 61cm wide and will have approx 360-400 lbs of water and crap in it.

Will it come crashing down on me? And if so, any tips?

Comments

• Options
    I think the biggest issue would be if there was excessive weight placed onto one side or the other, which could encourage snapping. Someone leaning onto the side of the tank for example.

So I'd be tempted to put supports under the side bits really. You can get a couple of legs from hardware stores that will do the job. Either that or support the sides with diagonal struts from the cabinet.
  • Options
    Well nobody would be leaning on it, lest they want a Simba beatdown :p I had a couple people suggest the just build off the old stand like that, but they know as much on the subject as me. I'm just afraid it will come crashing down and imagine what kind of damage that much water will do :\ But on the other hand my cheapness is really getting the best of me as a new stand will cost 3x the amount of the tank so I can't help but try to think of ways to do it.
  • Options
    ya some suppourts between the stand and the sides so you make two triangles would be enough to keep it up (triangles are the stronger shape).

When you attach the board to the stand you should put lots of screws in it too to keep it as secure and steady as possible.

To add my own crude parts to your drawing:
    Voilá
  • Options
    Yeah SnuggleBubbles has pretty much drawn what I was trying to say. Only problem is you'll need to make sure the struts are well secured, either a lot of strong glue or carefully positioned screws. (Which would depend on how thick the sides of the cabinet are.)
  • Options
    Did yours add a cute little fishy included? ^^
  • Options
    Did yours add a cute little fishy included? ^^

Nah the turtle would probably eat it or something.