Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Doctrinal Statement ~~ From The Pentagon!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Forgive please, the cut and paste...couldn't just url it to you. Times are changing and It occurred to me that folks at thesite would enjoy this article since it affects all of our lives...I use that collective part to include Western Culture...kind of brings us closer and all that rot! (can I say rot? It's not a prohibited word is it...seriously?)

Bush Said to Be Forming Military Policy
United Press International
June 10, 2002

WASHINGTON, Jun 10, 2002 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- A new military doctrine, one that supports preemptive strikes over a policy of containment, is being prepared by the Bush administration, the Washington Post reported Monday.
The newspaper said that a "National Security Strategy" was being drafted by the National Security Council for release this fall. An unnamed senior official said the formal options for the U.S. military would include preemption and "defensive intervention."

The Post said the Pentagon was looking into the feasibility of "no warning" raids that would involved U.S. military elements that are least likely to be detected -- such as radar-evading aircraft and submarines -- to insert troops quickly.

"The world in which we live, it's not enough to deter," an official told the Post. "You need more capability, more flexibility, more nuanced options and choices."

Such a change in policy would seem to support reporting by The Washington Times, in which the newspaper said that any U.S, military action against Iraq would likely be designed to end quickly while turning the Iraqi military against leader Saddam Hussein.

Unnamed defense sources told the Washington Times that any such incursion would start with covert programs to uncover Iraqi military commanders that may be sympathetic to Saddam's removal from power.

"This war has got to be conducted lightening fast," an official told the Times.

The newspaper said that to justify military action against Iraq, the Bush administration would likely cite Iraq's failure to comply with 1991 agreements that ended the Persian Gulf War regarding the development of weapons of mass destruction.

The Washington Post said the new doctrine may be initiated soon after its development.

A Pentagon consultant, again unnamed, was quoted by the Post as saying, "I think the president is trying to get the American people ready for some kind of preemptive move" against Iraq.

Some analysts saw such a threat in President Bush's comments at June 1 graduation ceremonies at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in which he talked about dictators who had weapons of mass destruction and who may give them to known terrorist groups.

The Post quoted a senior administration official who denied that the comments were explicitly about Iraq but were rather "a doctrinal statement."

:eek:

Comments