Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fuel costs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

can anyone give me a clue as to whether £500 for fuel costs (electric and gas) for a four bed student house for one quarter is the norm? this is the first that 3 of the housemates (ie not the one paying the bill) have heard of it, they were not aware that what they were paying was not the full amount of what was being used.

Comments

• Options
    Not that easy to say what "the norm" is because every house is different both physically and in terms of what people use.

It's not impossible. If that's what is on the bill then it would not be ridiculous. You can of course check the figures, query the readings etc..
  • Options
    Hi,

can anyone give me a clue as to whether £500 for fuel costs (electric and gas) for a four bed student house for one quarter is the norm? this is the first that 3 of the housemates (ie not the one paying the bill) have heard of it, they were not aware that what they were paying was not the full amount of what was being used.

I think that is quite normal. My gas and electricity combined bill for a one bed apartment was £350 for the quarter. Two people. We did make hot water timer adjustments after that bill ;)

If you're in during the day, and are using the heating, then that would indeed be quite normal.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I think that is quite normal. My gas and electricity combined bill for a one bed apartment was £350 for the quarter. Two people. We did make hot water timer adjustments after that bill ;)

If you're in during the day, and are using the heating, then that would indeed be quite normal.

Okay, i'll get them to check the meter readings.

The main problem that we've discovered is that we are sure that 4 of us paid her around £10 a month at least, if not more, which would make what should have been paid £50 a month. So from sep to dec £200 should have been paid. in actual fact it was £60.
  • Options
    Have you actually seen the bills? I think that would make things a lot clearer.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Have you actually seen the bills? I think that would make things a lot clearer.

We've just seen a statement for the bills which says "your dual fuel statement" from 5 sep to 27 jan, giving how much we've spent, what the balance is, and also further down saying "welcome to npower, this is your first npower bill".

On the second page it says how much has been used, from readings and one estimate, and gives the direct debit payments received and the current bill amount. It says 3/11/08 £30 payment, 1/12/08 £30 payment. She's now set up a direct debit of £50 a month which has gone out on 2/1/09 and 2/2/09.

We do not know exactly how much we've given her, but it's around £10 a month each. so for sep, oct, nov, dec, that should have been £160 received plus her £40 so should have been £200 paid, but only £60 is on this bill.

Are we looking for any other kind of bills? Would she have made any other payments other than this direct debit? The water and internet bills are put on the fridge for everyone to see, and noone had reason not to trust her with this one. However, the bills are only in her name.
  • Options
    There's two issues really. Firstly is that you don't actually know how much you've given to her. I think since you don't know that for sure you haven't really got a good ground for saying anything.

The second thing is that often the direct debit amounts are set by the company, not the person. So if the bill-payer is reasonable for all the other bills, it's probably just not her fault how it is set up. She may or may not have kept the extra money to one side.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    There's two issues really. Firstly is that you don't actually know how much you've given to her. I think since you don't know that for sure you haven't really got a good ground for saying anything.

The second thing is that often the direct debit amounts are set by the company, not the person. So if the bill-payer is reasonable for all the other bills, it's probably just not her fault how it is set up. She may or may not have kept the extra money to one side.

Yeah unfortunately there have been another few problems with her recently. We know that it was at least more than £10 a month each.

Would a company really set the direct debit so that for two months no payments were taken? it just seems odd to me. there was also a bill paid in august.
  • Options
    I'd like to help with your question but find your postings almost impossible to follow .. however many people do really stupid things like go to work at 7am but have their hot water boiler running up until 8am - many never consider having things like that turn on during low rate electricity periods.
  • Options
    Yeah unfortunately there have been another few problems with her recently. We know that it was at least more than £10 a month each.

Would a company really set the direct debit so that for two months no payments were taken? it just seems odd to me. there was also a bill paid in august.

I did not see that bit. That wouldn't be that usual, although some companies allow you to pay over 10 months rather than 12.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I'd like to help with your question but find your postings almost impossible to follow .. however many people do really stupid things like go to work at 7am but have their hot water boiler running up until 8am - many never consider having things like that turn on during low rate electricity periods.

Sorry DG, what bits am I not being clear about? Have had a lot on so am probably quite all over the place!

Yes we think we've worked out why it is a little high (we had problems with the hot water in the shower) so that is no longer the issue.

Thank you Mist, i'll ensure they ask for a copy of all correspondence with the company so that they can see what has happened to it.