Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Birthday present for 80th

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

It's my Grandmas birthday next week and shs turning 80! So I'd like to get something special but I've no idea what so ideas on a postcard please.
I dont have a lot of money to spend (£40 at the most, including card/wrapping etc) and she's not a fan of jewlery as she doesnt like necklaces and stuff round her neck

Comments

• Options
    try to put together a photo album from when she was young until now.
  • Options
    Theme park tickets :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I like the photos idea - my Nan uses a photo of herself when she was 21 for her freedom pass, I think elderly folk tend to love old photos of themselves.

Also, how about a pretty brooch - kinda like jewellery but doesn't aggravate. :chin:
  • Options
    At 80, she probably isn't too fussed about what she gets, but would prefer something practical, like : A warm microfibre blanket, a heated cushion, etc.

Otherwise, gin is good. :)
  • Options
    My parents always give my grandparents stuff like coffee, chocolates, etc. They have everything they own by now so there's no real need to give them items unless there's something specific they know they want/need.
  • Options
    If she doesnt' have senstive skin then i'd suggest some nice beauty stuff like clarins or a nice perfume because my Grandma who is 95 this year loves that kind of thing!

Otherwise the photographs are an exellent idea but you will probably need to enlist the help of some other family members.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    At 80, she probably isn't too fussed about what she gets, but would prefer something practical, like : A warm microfibre blanket, a heated cushion, etc.

Otherwise, gin is good. :)
    ha, not all grandmas want naff things like that!

I gave my grandma a big blown up photo of the beach that I'd taken, the beach being where she used to own a tiny cottage and where she'd been going for holidays since she was 4 years old, aaaand a mug with some cats on it, and then took loads of photos at her party and had them made into an album for her :) that was a belated present but who doesn't love them?

She also got given about a hundred orchids from people who didn't know what to get her.
  • Options
    My Grandma is 80 in three weeks' time and has asked for a fancy bird table.

When my Grandad was 80 last year, we got him a digital photo frame.

80 always seemed old but I still think my grandparents are as lively as they've always been and they were 56/55 when I was born!
  • Options
    What about one of those artificial hymens? :p
  • Options
    Bungee Jumping!!!!!