Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Need some advice on MS Word

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello

i have a laptop, i think its windows vista, and it does not have ms word on it. how do i go about installing it and where do i get it from and for how much etc? i am compleatly clueless on this, sorry!

thank you

Comments

• Options
    goto www.openoffice.org

It's a free open source version of office, just as good as the microsoft version.
  • Options
    thanks, i am downloading it now.

will it work like ms word? i have my cv stored in my hotmail which was done on ms word so will i be able to view and edit it etc using open office? also, when i send my cv or any other file done on open office to people, will they be able to open it using word??? thanks
  • Options
    I've not had any problems with it, but it doesn't like some file types.
  • Options
    You think it's Vista? If the start button doesn't have the word 'start' written on it, then bob's your uncle. It's that easy :-)
  • Options
    yes it is vista then lol :blush:
  • Options
    ±Lover± wrote: »
    thanks, i am downloading it now.

will it work like ms word? i have my cv stored in my hotmail which was done on ms word so will i be able to view and edit it etc using open office? also, when i send my cv or any other file done on open office to people, will they be able to open it using word??? thanks

Yes, it will open *.doc files and save them as well. Just make sure that is what is selected when saving and your files will open on any other computer.

It might not be able to use *.docx files which is what Office 2007 saves in if you're not careful.
  • Options
    Sometimes there will be formatting differences between odt and word. When you choose to save the file in .doc format odt will warn that this is the case. I know I've had problems with images and layout sometimes when writing reports in one and transferring to the other, usually its odt to word that is the problem (especially with images). You might want to be careful if you used one of words templates for the CV.

A good way of reserving the document quality may be to find a free odt to PDF converter. Or you may want to open a GMail account, which will allow you to upload documents in as odt. You may then check the format in the google docs viewer and 'download file as > word'

HTH
    Steve
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    OpenOffice.org 3 can open .docx files as well. I'm not sure if it can save in that format, but people shouldn't be using it anyway...
    It also has an option to export a file to PDF, so there's no need for an external converter.