Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Recession

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone actually feeling it?

Last year I got made redundant so I felt it big time! I've just been offered a new permanent job in the same industry though (after temping as a receptionist for a few months) so I'm back on my feet again.

Apart from that I've not felt it and actually I'm feeling the benefits of the sales in all the shops!

Comments

• Options
    Yes. Kind of...

Well, I went from consulting to working permanently at a client. Meant a £60k pay cut, which is painful. The market is a bit flat, so getting back into consulting could take some time. It is nice having paid holidays though - first time in 9 years or so that I've had that!!

Apart from that, I've paid off £20k of personal debt in the last 3-4 months (car finance, credit card etc), and so I've certainly got myself in a much better position to ride this out, as my monthly outgoings are much lower. I just have to tighten the purse strings for a bit.

I've been to the sales, but typically have found very few clothes that I actually want that have been reduced, and so have still ended up paying full price on most items. I have found some bargains on cosmetics though, which is good to stock up on.
  • Options
    Not really personally but its been getting harder to raise money at work and we are looking at tryign to cut our consultancy rates to remain competitive.

I've also noticed that there isn't anything i actually want in any of the sales as well.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »

I've also noticed that there isn't anything i actually want in any of the sales as well.

Annoying, isn't it? Still, it's a chance to go shopping :D
  • Options
    Just went out and bought myself a fancy packet of crisps. Could have gone for Walkers but went for Sensations.

Up yours Credit Crunch.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »

And if there is something it's only ever in XS or XXL (at least for men's anyway).

If you're super tiny or super fat, the sales must be great.
  • Options
    i'm finding the same in the sales!

sound equipment has gone through the roof in price, i'm finding it hard to get things i need for uni. books seem to be really expencive right now as well. I'm not skint, but as i'm having to shell out a lot more in order to work at home whilst i'm in recovery, i'm thinking of seeing if i can have access to the hardship fund. But so many students seem to be doing the same.

Asides two friends being made redundant- one at zavvi, and she's still working until march, everyone else i know has pretty stable jobs in the police, schools or pubs-they seem to be having a bigger trade than ever, every pub i go into is always packed!

so generally, not really, last year food prices became unbearable for someone on an income of £45 a week, but they have gone down since august...
  • Options
    I have been shopping online for the sales. House of Fraser have had some great sales since before xmas and I got some of my xmas presents from there.
  • Options
    I don't really notice it that much apart from in food prices, although they aren't as bad as they were.

Although I've been finding it hard to find another part time job after finishing my xmas one :( . I've decided just to give up as I qualify in May so concentrating on Nursing jobs now.
  • Options
    When they first started talking about it I thought "Nah!". Then the club that I worked at, the attendance dropped MASSIVELY. Then as a recent graduate every permanent job I've had I've lost because of the good old "Last one in first one out"... particularly difficult as I'm in sales.

Had to move back in with my dad and currently have 5p and am overdrawn on my overdraft. Wish the fucker was over or I at least had SOME cash. :(
  • Options
    g_angel - you're 29 years of age and already on £60+? Not bad if it's true :-)

As for me:

Wages - no payrise since 2006, but it had nothing to do with the credit crunch.

Buying from America - Very good exchange rate in 2008 (£1=$2) but back to normal for 2009.

Buying from Europe - sucks big time! (£1=?1)

Food prices - actually gone up

Petrol prices - gone down (doesn't affect me but I have friends who drive)

Electrical goods - gown down, due to VAT cut.

CDs and DVDs - same.

Gas - The same, but due to go down 10% for me from Feb '09.

Mortgage - I renewed in Sep '08 and it went from £314 to £359. Interest rates going down? My ass!
  • Options
    So far, the recession hasn't hit me too badly. I'm out of work and have been for a few weeks now, and jobs are rather thin on the ground. Thankfully, I've got quite a bit of money set aside - a mixture of saving up whilst working and funds from other sources are keeping me afloat. I don't have many other bills to pay just yet, so that is also helping. There's also the bonus that I have no debts whatsoever - I have never taken out a loan or mortgage and do not have a credit card, nor do I want one. However, things could soon get trickier considering the plans I have for this year.

I'm guaranteed a job back at the arcades in Haven, although I don't know whether I'm starting in February or March just yet. That job will last until mid-November, although I probably won't be there for that long. I have a girlfriend at the moment and things are getting quite serious. I was always planning to move away from home this year, starting afresh in a new part of the country on my own. (trust me to choose the year of a bloody recession to try and do it!) If things go well in my relationship however, it's more than likely that I will be moving to Northern Ireland to live with the missus.

Up until now, one definite upside of the recession for me is that the car has been cheaper to run. Over the summer, it would cost over £40 to fill my car, it now costs about £32 for a full tank. The price appears to have edged up about a penny or two recently, but it's still over 25% cheaper than it was last summer, so I'm not complaining. Food prices also seem to have come down slightly, which is also helpful. I suppose that the people who are best placed to ride out our current economic difficulties would be those with a reasonable amount of money set aside, those who are still in employment and those who have little or no debts.

I'm well-aware that I'm lucky in many ways. I knew several staff who worked at my local Woolworths store which closed at the start of the month. Most of them seem to be out of work now and one is facing a very uncertain future indeed.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    g_angel - you're 29 years of age and already on £60+? Not bad if it's true :-)

Yep, it's true. I am now on £50k + £5 starting bonus, with another £5k bonus if I am still here in 6 months (as of 1st December). We'll see how it goes, as I like to live it up a little, and that was a huge drop to absorb (£3k-4k a month down, depending on number of days worked). :yeees:
  • Options
    Everythings sweet for me as I'm in uni which means loan, got a stable job at the weekend and live with my parents so save a bit of housekeep, no rent or bills. Happy days like.

I'd say unskilled and people in the construction industry are feeling it the most. There are still lots of jobs out there and it isn't as bad the Great Depression of the 30's, I think the media likes to make it out to be more bad than it is.

ETA: Sales are great, got a tracksuit top and bottoms for £21 reduced from £70. Yeha!
  • Options
    I'm saving up to move abroad, so my savings have taken a hit with the sterling situation. I'm going to move them to a US dollar account ASAP. I was planning to do it in December, but thought it'd probably bottomed out. How wrong I was.

Other than that, 3 pairs of trainers for £70. :thumb:

I'm gonna have to sell my car too, which might be another sticking point.
  • Options
    I am feeling it in terms of food being pricey and my job being very unstable - I'm temping in a bank right now which is a bit :crazyeyes and I'm not sure how easy it will be to get another one when I inevitably lose it. I think all the temps will eventually lose their jobs there, one dept. got closed already and today was it's last day. It's all been packed up and moved to another city. We've gained 7 of their staff which will displace the temps.
  • Options
    I am feeling it in terms of food being pricey and my job being very unstable

same :yes:

i work for royal mail at the moment and all of the temp's permanant contracts have fallen through. not only that, they won't give any of the permanant staff their promised pay rises. i was expecting to go this month but thats not happened although some people have gone. i start a new job march 2nd so hopefully, thats a bit more job security for me.

food has become really pricey. toiletries have too :(

i can't afford anything at the moment so its making everything really hard.
  • Options
    The financial crisis is affecting Turkey although I'm not very well informed as to how - I can't understand much Turkish so can't follow it in the papers. I'm working hard to keep my students on though, some of our big clients (companies) are stopping English lessons for their employees as they make cut backs, it's not a priority.