Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car ciggie lighter stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you plug stuff into your car cigarette lighter (like chargers, itrips, straighteners etc) does it use more fuel?

Comments

• Options
    Don't think it does, they're on constantly aren't they? (for as long as the engine itself is on.)
  • Options
    It will draw more current so I would imagine that it would use more fuel. (slightly)
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    kangoo wrote: »
    If you plug stuff into your car cigarette lighter (like chargers, itrips, straighteners etc) does it use more fuel?

Car hair straighteners? That's the first time I've heard of them.

Plugging anything into your car's cigarette lighter does use more fuel. They cause the alternator to work harder to provide current that in turn causes the engine to work harder.
  • Options
    Yup like above the car has to work harder to keep the battery juiced so all your gadgets can run :-). saying that i wouldn't think it would be a noticable drop for things such as phone chargers or gps devices, just dont use a george foreman grill or a kettle in the car :)
  • Options
    Yep they will indirectly use more fuel. Also if you plug one in whilst the engine isn't running then you could drain the battery.
  • Options
    For most things the difference will be negligible, for high power consumption items (like straightners) it will be more significant.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :| So they exist? What the hell for? (I mean hair straighteners btw)
  • Options
    :| So they exist? What the hell for? (I mean hair straighteners btw)

in case you're going out, straight from work, and you want to give your hair a quick once over with the straighteners in the car before you make your debut :p its a girl thing.. saying that iv had mine for a couple of years and used them once, they're not very hot...
  • Options
    I saw a woman doing it while driving :\ And not at a stop light either.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I saw a woman doing it while driving :\ And not at a stop light either.
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of.
  • Options
    Any extra load on the electrical system will increase the fuel economy seen, as it'll place an additional load on the engine.

However, it's unlikely to be noticeable. I've had heated seats, mirrors, windscreen and rear windows all in use extensively over the festive period, and haven't seen any change in economy compared to when I've not been using them(and I know my fuel computer is accurate, before anyone questions it).

Using something current-hungry without the engine running can take a noticeable amount of power from the battery in a short period of time. Leaving your engine running just to keep the power topped up will result in a very noticeable drop in economy.