Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am i eating enough for a diet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
realising that i eat waaaaaaaay too much, i have cut down and hope to lose a bit of weight and become healthier. today i had fruit and fibre for bf, quorn beetroot and sweetcorn salad and an apple for lunch and then dinner was sweet potato, salad and cottage cheese and then on of them skinny cow lollies. thing is, this may look good on paper but im bloody starving! i mean what the hell! am i eating too little, too much or just enough and i need to pipe down :P

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a dietician, but if you're hungry you're more likely to eat snack foods with loads of calories. The trick to a healthy diet (in my opinion) is not to cut down what you eat to two celery sticks a day, but to change what you're eating for healthy substitutes.

There are some good dietey type people on the boards that I'm sure will be able to help. But it's important to make sure you aren't going hungry.

Also, minor point, but sometimes you get hungry not because your body is saying 'want more food', but because you associate food with a happy feeling and your body is craving that. You can use distraction techniques to avoid this kind of craving / psychological hunger.
  • Options
    Remember that when you start dieting/restricting what you eat you think about food more, therefore youre more likely to at least think youre hungry. It will take a few days to start really understanding when you are hungry and when you arent.

I'm in the same situation really, wednesday will be the end of my first week of my diet. I am filling up on low fat low calorie foods such as veg. I also have lots of fruit around for snacking on but I'm trying to avoid snacking cos its a bad habit!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi hun i use see a dietcian i was eating al the right things+excercising wasnt losing much weight +she said i wasnt eatin enough if u dnt eat enough ur body wil take what it gets+store it eat reguarly try same times have ur 3 square meals a day +mid morn mid afternoon+supper say yogurt fruit brown toast etc +excercise i walk everywhere etc seems alot it works honest i lost 4st :yes:
  • Options
    Sometimes a lot of people mistake the signs of very slight dehydration as hunger. Have a glass of water or OJ if you feel a tiny bit peckish, if nothing it means you snack a little less.
  • Options
    if youre used to eating a lot more than that, then cut it down gradually so you dont feel so hungry.
  • Options
    It is best to eat less food but more often so try and space your calorific intake across the whole day, rather than just at meal times.
  • Options
    Well it sounds very healthy! I don't think what you're eating for lunch would sustain me throughout the day though as there doesn't seem to be any carbs.

Just be careful that you don't restric yourself too much as you would probably just crack with hunger/boredom and eat a load of bad food and then you'll be on the path to yo-yo dieting!
  • Options
    It sounds like you are eating 'healthy' enough food, but I would suggest that you need to try eating similarly sized meals five or six times a day, instead of just three. That will keep you feeling full, will also keep your metabolism going and due to feeling full, you will be able to avoid snacking on junk.
  • Options
    Snacking on things full of fiber help with hunger as well. I like http://www.fiberone.com/Product/bars.main.aspx if you have them there. They are delicious too, not all healthy tasting ;) Though maybe I'm a super piggy eater but just reading what you wrote made my tummy starve. But I'm hardly one to speak ;)