Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Doing a big shop in one go...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I go back to Manchester sometime this week...and I've decided to do one large shop and travel a bit further to the local ASDA rather then local Sainsburys.

I was wondering if you guys could give pointers as to what I should involve in a large shop? I did one online (for Sainsbury's) it came to £70-odd but I had bottle of wine, rum and vodka in that!! :D

Of course I've got bread, milk, cereal, tuna, pasta, pasta sauce and yogurts down (they are my staples, haha) but I always forget something!

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Just bulk up on the staples you normally get - don't forget things like toiletries etc.

I tend to do a 'big shop' every month then go get meat/bread/milk/fresh stuff every week or so. Big shop normally is tinned/frozen stuff and things like pasta and rice etc.
  • Options
    These would be in my list:

Rice, noodles, lentils, potatoes, onions, peppers, eggs
    Frozen peas, sweetcorn, etc
    Tinned baked beans, kidney beans, tomatoes
    Garlic, ginger, chillies, soi sauce, tomato puree, stock
  • Options
    Ah eggs!! How could I forget.

Thanks wooooooooah, you've been very helpful :)
  • Options
    You're welcome :) I used to buy things online - I think from Asda, they save your shopping list from last time, so you don't forget anything!
  • Options
    Wonderful, thanks :D
  • Options
    These would be in my list:

Rice, noodles, lentils, potatoes, onions, peppers, eggs
    Frozen peas, sweetcorn, etc
    Tinned baked beans, kidney beans, tomatoes
    Garlic, ginger, chillies, soi sauce, tomato puree, stock

+ things like drinking squash (if you use it)

bread (you can freeze a loaf or two for later) & frozen food as previously mentioned :)
  • Options
    Before you go, check out the MoneyExpert Forums, I've found myself reading them constantly. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com - Stock up on frozen food mostly.
  • Options
    I've been using the MSE and Mysupermarket.com to help me in finding the best priced shopping...but thanks for the tip JavaKrypt.

Ooh exyzed - squaaassssssh, deffo!
  • Options
    I tend to get the 3 litre squash bottles for about £2 lasts normally a full month - six weeks so I'd go for that.

The only hard bit is gonna be carrying it home :thumb:
  • Options
    Any fit, young men want to help a damsel in shopping distress? I'll make it worth ya while ;)
  • Options
    Could be tempted with a decent meal and a massage. Haha :p
  • Options
    It's usually free online delivery if you spend over £50 ;)
  • Options
    If you've got money to burn, of sorts, look out for the decent offers on things that have a long, or no, shelf life. Since we moved here 2 and 1/2 years ago we've had a bit more spending power so been able to buy bulk and i don't think we've paid full price for things like toilet rolls, toothpaste, tea, coffee, dettergents, cleaning products, oil, frozen food, pop etc since we moved here :)
  • Options
    Where i live asda 5min walk that main shoping but i go b+m home bargains etc for juice water crisp pasta sauces etc it miles cheaper than supermarkets+it brand stuf that all i have in my cupboards etc
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Also, think about what meals you are going to make. It's all very well getting staples but when you come to cook tomorrow night do you need to go out and get that one thing you don't have in your cupboard. I tend to do my shopping with meals in mind, as well as making sure I have things like rice, pasta etc.
  • Options
    Also, think about what meals you are going to make. It's all very well getting staples but when you come to cook tomorrow night do you need to go out and get that one thing you don't have in your cupboard. I tend to do my shopping with meals in mind, as well as making sure I have things like rice, pasta etc.

I always do i got me fella+2girls dne pasta bolagnese tonight+tommrow bbq texan chicken+brown rice