Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Neuro-diversities: gift or hinderance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(I’m sorry if this seems essay like, I seem to be stuck in academic mode!)

For those that are sure what a neuro-diversity is here’s a quick description stolen from wiki:
"Neurodiversity is an idea which asserts that atypical (neurodivergent) neurological development is a normal human difference that is to be recognized and respected as any other human variation.[1] The concept of neurodiversity is embraced by some autistic individuals and people with related conditions. Some groups apply the concept of neurodiversity to conditions potentially unrelated (or non-concomitant) to autism such as bipolar disorder, ADHD,[2] developmental speech disorders, Parkinson's disease, dyslexia, and dyspraxia.[2]" - I’m not too sure about the Parkinson's bit, and the bi-polar but the rest is pretty correct.

In addition, ADD, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, tourette's and several others are also neuro-diversities. Neurodiversities are often happen when the foetus is developing in the womb. It effectively means that the brain is wired differently, rather than wrongly.

Neuro-diversity is a term that’s being used instead of Specific Learning Difficulty, mainly because many people are finding that there are elements of their so called "disability" which actually helps them to see the world in a different way, and overcome things which those which typical development find difficult. Many artists, musicians, architects, chefs, entrepreneurs, and scientists have Neuro-diversities, and this is a good example of people using there differing abilities to their strengths, rather than looking upon them as a bad thing.

Being dyslexic and dyspraxic, I know that the are still many hindrances to having these conditions, but after being diagnosed coming up for three years ago, I have started to see how they have helped me as well. I know there are two very distinct camps, of those who think it’s brilliant to be neuro-diverse, and those who see it very much as a disability and a hindrance. I am somewhere in-between, I’m still finding out my limitations, and what gifts I have. But I have had a lot of positive support, and my diagnosis gave me a greater understanding, that I’m not stupid and strange at all, but I do have differences to the majority of the population.

I know a lot of people do still see things like ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia as complete cop-outs, and that they are just labels for people who are lazy and stupid. This attitude really annoys me, and I do feel that it’s often society that’s wrong, rather than me...

Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Hiya, I have quite bad dislexia, and before i was diagnosed i couldnt do maths, my writing was useless and i just thought i was thick... after i was diagnosed about 5 years ago I was taught in different ways with new methods and passed all my GCSE's and then ALevels. I think once you are aware of neurodiversity and know how to live with it, things become easy. It really annoys me when people say dyslexia is just a 'cop-out'... I'm in my final year at uni, i never once told my lecturers that i am dislexic and I'm getting by just fine with my own methods. I have other mental problems as a result of being neurodiverse... very very bad anxiety being one of them, but thats something i have to live with!

Equally i have a friend who has tourettes, and although she struggled with it when we were little, she is now drug free and has amazing self confidence and control, i find her a real inspiration.

Like I say though, once you know how to live with these things, stuff just gets that little bit easier. Sceptics of neurodiversity should just keep things to themselves till they know what they're talking about!
  • Options
    in most cases they are a hinderance and people struggle really hard to overcome some of the problems with them.
    That doesnt mean they cant be overcome in some cases and people cant lead a normal life, and that doesnt mean that people dont sometimes have gifts associated with their ND.

It isnt always that helpful when people say, ah well, Einstein was autistic, so autism is a gift. It isnt a gift. Its a disability. for every one einstein youve got a dozen rainmans and youve got plenty much more normal people who will always be socially and academically disadvantaged in a huge way.
  • Options
    Hi!

I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic too and was just diagnosed properly last year. I still feel a bit guilty and like a cop out when I received all my equpment because I know that I would not have been able to even pass my first year without all of this. One of my friends at uni used to keep (joking hopefully..although I wasn't sure) that dyslexia and dyspraxia are made up and that there is no such thing. Blah blah. That didn't help. Overall the help that I've received at university has been great, but as I was only properly diagnosed last year I am still thinking that the things that I can't do are my own personal weaknesses rather than anything official like dyslexia or dyspraxia, so in some ways I still feel like a fraud.

The only thing I really hate is perfectly innocent really but when I got to see some tutor in the dyslexia dept (she was really shit and tried to advertise her son's crap band to me) and she tried to bond with me saying 'I'm bad at spelling too..ho ho ho'. If she had even read my file she could see that my dyslexia didn't mean that I was bad at spelling, I'm actually okay at spelling. Same as when I had an exam and the invigilator took it upon themselves to read out my paper even after I said that I'm fine. Pft.