Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Treating Depression Naturally....any advice?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have any advice for treating depression naturally? I've had depression in the past and was prescribed citalopram (anti depressant) for it, i can feel myself slipping into depression again, but really don't want to go to the doctors if i don't have to. would rather try and do it myself!

Comments

• Options
    i'd suggest you do go to the doctors, but you don't have to take ADs. talking therapies are often very effective. on the side of complementary therapies, I find aromatherapy and massage very helpful, exercise is proven very effective, as is making sure than you have a good diet.
  • Options
    Excercise is supposed to be good - a natural way to release certain chemicals in the brain which can help lift your mood :cool: Do you take regular excercise?
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    These are all really good suggestions: exercise and diet, particularly, are supposed to be huge factors so really concentrating on getting them right for a week might help.

Otherwise, there are hundreds of things out there: this article on alternatives to anti-depressants lists a few.

Best of luck with this, carlz, you're doing the right thing by catching this early and addressing it head on before it gets out of hand. If you want to ask any more advice don't hesistate to post again, ok?
  • Options
    thankyou all for the kind advice, it's very much appreciated :) i really hope it can help me and others too who might have stumbled across this thread. its nice to know that i'm not alone. thanks again xxx
  • Options
    Another good way just for reference is if you want a natural aid to helpping then you could take St Johns Wart, its at most shops like Holland and Barret plus it doesn't have the side effects you might get from perscription drugs. It does take abit of time to build up in your system, like 3 weeks but its worth it if you struggle to change diet etc.
    :)