Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

need advice plze

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi im new on here only found it 2day..

so.. 4 weeks agoi went 2 the doctors about depression and self harm.. the doctor jus put me straight on clitopram anti depressants.. never asked me anything.. i was in and out in 5 mins.. since taking them iv got worse , iv self harmed more and its deeper aswell.. and i get these really bad feelings in my chest and shortness of breath.. its like butterflies in my chest but its really uncomftable.. it feels like there is something stuck under my skin on my chest and i feellike ripping open my skin and pulling it out..
im going bak to the doctors 2moro and im so nervous..i dont want 2 depend on medication 2 be happy. i would like some councelling as iv never spoke about my problems and id find it very hard but it mite help..thing is i dont want 2 ask for counceling.
plus i havent told my mom and dad iv on anti depressants and my mom is going to wait for me outside..
im so nervous.. has any one got any advice for me plze.. so sorry its long :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Well my best advice would be to explain to the doctor the affect that the tablets are having on you. And how that you would rather not be on them and that it has made it worse for you. That should help you a bit. Well hopefully.
  • Options
    thank you:)
  • Options
    it can be difficult finding the right anti-depressant for yourself, everyone reacts to them differently. i've been on quite a few, at the moment i'm on effexor, i find it really helpful whereas other people have found it really unhelpful.

definitely go back to your doc and maybe get a referral to see a psychiatrist, they'll know more about anti-depressant medication..

also, it may be helpful to see a psychologist to get to the root of your issues and see why you are depressed in the first place.

usually, the best way to combat depression is CBT and if the depression is bad, anti-depressant medication also helps.

if your self-harm continues, you might need to be admitted into a hospital, like maybe a psych hospital, so they can monitor you and make sure that you are safe. this is speaking from experience.

take care of yourself sweetie
    best wishes in finding what works for you
  • Options
    When i broke up with my first girlfriend i felt so suicidal and tryed to over dose(RETARD IWAS BACK THEN) i took like loads of fluoexetine pills n just felt depressed even more -.-

Pills probly dont even work councilling will work i bet
  • Options
    Hi Brumy_girl :wave: ,
    Really glad you found this forum and felt comfortable to post about something that effects loads of people and there is a lot of confusion about :) .

Firstly, great advice from everyone who's already posted. Sometimes anti-depressants take some getting used to and quite often make you feel worse before they make you feel better.

It's understandable that you don't want to rely on medication to be happy, so I'd definately recommend doing something else to help cope with depression and self harm alongside/instead of this such as counselling or calling a helpline, especially if you don't feel like your doc is a great listener. It doesn't have to be long term intense sessions, why don't you try giving these numbers a bell to see if they're right for you...

Saneline - If you think youve got depression and you want to speak to someone in confidence, call this local rate helpline. Rates may be different from a mobile. Its open from 6pm to 11pm, seven days a week. Tel: 0845 767 8000

Samaritans - The Samaritans is open 24 hours a day and will offer you some much-needed support over the phone.
    Tel: 08457 90 90 90

Both of these helplines will have loads of info for you and will be able to lend an understanding ear. Sometimes it's easier to talk on the phone rather than face to face but don't be afraid to speak to doc about councelling services, s/he should have some experience of referring people to the services in your local area.

It's great that your mom's going with you to the doctors and remember that if you're over 16 your medical records are confidential and the only way she can find out is through you. Does your mom know why you went to the doctors the first time? Do you think she'd understand if she found out? It may be good to have her as an extra support if you'd feel ok about this????

Let us know how you get on tomorrow :thumb: , and remember there are services out there that can and want to help, it's just about finding the right one for you.

Good luck and keep posting :)
  • Options
    ADs shouldnt be the first option, they can be a really help tosome people but it doesnt deal with any issue it just hides it. do you feel able to ask them about maybe getting hold of a therapist or councellor?

how did it go at the doctors?