Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Windows 7

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As the normal guys know, its only right that I post about something Microsoft related!

It's that time again, when Microsoft release another OS into the market for testing.

It's pretty much the same as vista, but with a huge speed increase and alot of funky stuff :)

I urge you all to try!

Not much else to say.. But it is a big speed increase!

To jump on the beta see the link below;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

Comments

• Options
    I posted my comments on it over at WHT. I don't see the need to move over to it, as Vista works just fine. If you need to change to 7, that means your computer couldn't handle Vista in the first place, which will still cause problems with 7. As it's not much of a difference, just "tuned" better.

Just to point out too, the whole "It's faster" thing is a bit of a charade. If you go in with the mind set of it being fast, most likely you will see it as being faster. That's why Vista has had such a bad past, due to people reading and hearing it's slow and sluggish to work with, bad news travels fast. If you expect Vista to be slow and sluggish, anything that pisses you off in it will be 10 times as worse to you.

Same stuff with MacOS. "It's faster", "everything just works", all a charade.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    http://xkcd.com/528/ :p

Seriously, I'd give it a try but I can't be arsed with formatting or triple booting.
  • Options
    Ah I saw that comic :)

It may be all talk, but I generally feel its faster, I'm sure I read somewhere it can be installed on a P4 computer and run fine! Where as vista would freak. :)
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    If you need to change to 7, that means your computer couldn't handle Vista in the first place, which will still cause problems with 7.

I prefer to over-spec my hardware for an OS, which is why my P4 2.8 runs on Windows 2000. My next PC (due soon) will be one of the Core2 or Core4 processors and will probably be running on Windows XP.

I missed out NT and ME for obvious reasons :-)
  • Options
    Windows Me <3 LOL
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Ah I saw that comic :)

It may be all talk, but I generally feel its faster, I'm sure I read somewhere it can be installed on a P4 computer and run fine! Where as vista would freak. :)

someone has tested it on an older machine and it runs as slow as you would expect.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I prefer to over-spec my hardware for an OS, which is why my P4 2.8 runs on Windows 2000. My next PC (due soon) will be one of the Core2 or Core4 processors and will probably be running on Windows XP.

I missed out NT and ME for obvious reasons :-)

what's core 4?

Anyway, I tend to build my PCs as 'systems' so the software and hardware compliments each other. There's no point having a killer rig if only the newer software can take advantage of it (very little is multithreaded on XP, for example, and it doesn't prefetch all that well meaning extra ram isn't really used), and similarly there's little point having the best software if the hardware can't run it.
  • Options
    4 Cores. My bro has a Q9950, 2.8GHz, could get 3.6Ghz if OC'd.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if it's still available? I put my details in then it says "the page you requested may have moved blah blah".
  • Options
  • Options
    http://xkcd.com/528/ :p

Seriously, I'd give it a try but I can't be arsed with formatting or triple booting.

;)
  • Options
    d'oh!
  • Options
    Yup, its open until the 24th of jan :)

Just google 'windows 7 beta'
  • Options
    I decided to download after all, and guess what?
    It won't let me because I'm not using IE7 :banghead:
    And since (AFAIK) they haven't managed to run an IE version greater than 6 through wine, I'll have to reboot.

Don't you think it's ridiculous, not allowing you to download a simple ISO file because of a browser? ffs!
  • Options
    Well considering 8 is like been released, I think their dropping support as you go along.

Remember they 'expect' all there users to update and be on 7 by now.
  • Options
    You don't get it; why not let people download a file through any browser at all? Why require IE?
    The answer is obvious of course. Blackmail, plus making some computer-illeterate people think that this is because of a problem other browsers have, and not their fascist decisions.
  • Options
    It won't let me because I'm not using IE7 :banghead:
    And since (AFAIK) they haven't managed to run an IE version greater than 6 through wine, I'll have to reboot.

Don't you think it's ridiculous, not allowing you to download a simple ISO file because of a browser? ffs!

I downloaded it with firefox, don't know what's going on there? Which version do you want, I've got the direct download links.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I downloaded it with firefox, don't know what's going on there? Which version do you want, I've got the direct download links.

Actaully, I downloaded it using Safari :)
  • Options
    You'll need to get a serial key (free from microsoft's website somewhere), but here are the links to the .iso files:

32bit windows 7 beta ~2.2gb
    64bit windows 7 beta ~3.2gb

If anyone is just interested in having a play, you get 30 days I'm led to believe before you need to even bother entering a serial key, so if you've got a spare PC or hard disk you could just load it on and see what you think.

Apparently, for a beta, it's nearly release quality. Wouldn't recommend formatting your PC and putting it on an everyday machine tho. Only takes one bug and you're doing your dissertation and bam the file system is corrupted and your files are gone :(
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend formatting your PC and putting it on an everyday machine tho. Only takes one bug and you're doing your dissertation and bam the file system is corrupted and your files are gone :(
    Speaking from experience??
  • Options
    Fortunately not.

I had a near miss this weekend. On saturday, I wanted a new backup for uni documents as my uni's FTP for some reason wasn't working (I have to VPN to uni to log in, and the VPN wasn't working), so I asked a friend to borrow some space. An hour later, I had uploaded 60mb of my uni work. Next day, come to uni, start my PC up and my computer says my raid array has failed. oshitoshitoshitoshit.

I managed to fix it with a screwdriver, mind, but close one there. I never install beta stuff if I'm planning to use it 'properly' because there's just too much that can go wrong. Beta internet browsers can happily have exploits in them that would allow potentially someone to steal your passwords to paypal or something.
  • Options
    It won't let me because I'm not using IE7

Competition. There are thousands of sites that MAKE you use Firefox before you can browse the site, or download, Microsoft is just doing it their way like thousands of sites. (Take a look at Apple's site, they require you to use Quicktime to view videos etc on their site instead of making a WMV file too.) Oh and ActiveX controls too. Some (as said) have had success downloading it through Firefox etc, but directly from the site when browsing, it requires IE.
  • Options
    Well, I hope your doing your bit by submitting feedback! :)
  • Options
    I did download with IE in the end. If FF and safari worked too then I guess it complained about the OS and not the browser. Which still isn't excusable; any OS can download a file.

Monserrat, any examples of FF-only websites? I can't say I've ever seen any. But my opinion on them is just the same: inexcusable.
    Though, having started to (almost?) be a web developer lately, I've seen some things about IE that shock me.

On the subject: Still not decided what to do with it. I have 2 PCs at home, one is exactly the minimum requirements and the other is pretty good. So if I decide to install after all, either it will be on a computer I can't really judge it or on the one I would really need it to work well...
  • Options
    I know FamilyGuyX.net used to be Firefox only. The later removed that though, but it stilll had limits on only Firefox being able to play the flash player for sometime - that still happens on most of the files but it's basically gone now.

I can't remember this other sites domain, I can remember the site but not the domain, I'll try and get it. They made you use Firefox through JavaScript, though simple to bypass. IE's main security threat is ActiveX (Firefox had some, though they've patched them now.), Opera is the most secure browser - I never use a computer without it. :)
  • Options
    Oops, sorry I thought you were monserrat! :blush:

Thinking about it, I actually understand why some sites would be "every browser except IE". Usually when one program ignores the standards that pretty much all others adhere to it gets shot down; but in this case it doesn't because people just don't know any better. :mad:
    Any way, mini rant over...
  • Options
    Oops, sorry I thought you were monserrat! :blush:

Thinking about it, I actually understand why some sites would be "every browser except IE". Usually when one program ignores the standards that pretty much all others adhere to it gets shot down; but in this case it doesn't because people just don't know any better. :mad:
    Any way, mini rant over...

FWIW IE7 / IE8 is competitively standards compliant.

The nice thing about IE over FireFox is it is what it says it is - a browser. FireFox is pretty much everything to everyone though so it's not so 'cut down'. Opera is going the same way with feature creep, which I don't like. Google's browser is nice tho.
  • Options
    I think you're the first person to say IE7 & 8 are good browsers. I've always said IE IS a good browser, it opens webpages, that's all I want it to do. Yes it's not the safest, but I trust it over firefox. Firefox has screwed me over so many times I'm scared to open it without any websites open. I'll only open my localhost in firefox.

The thing I hate about Firefox is it's popularity for it's plugins and extensions. If you HAVE to use a code altering plugin to use the browser how you want, how is that a good thing?

Opera, I like it but the RAM usage pisses me off a fair bit. I like it because it's secure and it's come a long way.

I don't like Chrome at all.
  • Options
    I think you're the first person to say IE7 & 8 are good browsers. I've always said IE IS a good browser, it opens webpages, that's all I want it to do. Yes it's not the safest, but I trust it over firefox. Firefox has screwed me over so many times I'm scared to open it without any websites open. I'll only open my localhost in firefox.

The thing I hate about Firefox is it's popularity for it's plugins and extensions. If you HAVE to use a code altering plugin to use the browser how you want, how is that a good thing?

Opera, I like it but the RAM usage pisses me off a fair bit. I like it because it's secure and it's come a long way.

I don't like Chrome at all.

Well IE isn't my browser of choice but fact is Microsoft did really clean up their act with IE7 and then from that IE8. I use firefox atm because for a lot of the things I do I want certain functionality that I can either get from an external program or can use a firefox extension for. It's just convenient having it all built into one.
  • Options
    I don't remember an example now, but I was looking for a CSS property and it said IE (even 7) doesn't support it. I tried it too.

And the other day the other guy and I were astounded because an asp.net control worked fine in FF but it wouldn't work in IE unless it was aligned left...
    Um, what? It's good precisely because you can change things. Not everyone wants the same.