Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Opinions on long distance relationships ?

Okay my first girlfriend was this girl i met on the internet i went out with her for 2 years it was my first experience of love. She lived about 3 hours in the train away from me. Im suprised we lasted that long

Just wondered what you all thought about it and at what age it would last alot longer than mine. (i was 13-15 when it happened).
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well my first love was also long distance, about 5 hour car drive, and this next guy im seeing is about 1 or 2 hours away. Alot of people are apprehensive about them, my friends certainly were and asked why i was bothering, but i perosnally think, if you care about someone enough and want to make it work, theres no reason why it shouldnt.

Obviouly there are factors that get in the way such as one person not being as committed, or unable to travel. 13 - 15 is quite a young age so i reckon these things are more likely to happen then but i wouldnt have said it was any less of a relationship than if you lived next door.
  • Options
    Yey also bearing in mind that just because you live close together doesn't always mean that you will see each other more. For example, different work patterns. Like if you can only see each other on weekends, so can some couples who live together. When you look at it like that i think long distance relationships can work.

As you say though the ability to travel will be a big issue plus having the time and money to do it often enough in order to sustain the relationship.
  • Options
    I personally think its a good thing as its a way to find love but at first it would be hard work seeing them etc.
    Yeah i was young i went on the train with my family to see her. In the end i couldnt take it so i packed it in.
  • Options
    I think it just depends on what kind of person you are as to whether you can cope. For me it would be too much, I'd have to see them fairly regularly to be happy in the relationship. However, I've never had a long distance relationship so I may be wrong, maybe I would be alright with it.
  • Options
    the relationship im in now started as a long distance thing. We met via the KnottyBoy Myspace page [lame i know]
    we talked on t'interweb for a few months, nothing romantic or anything, just witty banter, chatting etc. then one day he asked me randomyl if i wanted to come to Devon with him and his mate, it was a bit of a risk [meeting a guy who ive never met and dont really know well and his mate and driving miiilles to Devon for god knows what reason...]
    but i went, i needed a bit of excitment in my life :)

anyhoo, when we met it was awesome blah blah bah etc.

we ended up in a relationship even though he lived 120 miles away. he drive to me, stay a few days and i would train it down and do the same.

well, 15 months later me and him are amazingly happy and living together :)
    even planning on getting married :)
  • Options
    That is great Ri....

I have had a similar thing....met someone via a website and we clicked straight away and within a month we were living together and he asked me to marry him dec 2007 and we got married in September 2008.
  • Options
    As for long distance it depends on how much you really like the person I suppose. I lived in one part of Kent and he lived in the other end and I went on the train which cost me over £30 every time but it was worth it.

As individuals you have to work at a relationship every day and be there and not to fight too much. True love is out there.
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    That is great Ri....

I have had a similar thing....met someone via a website and we clicked straight away and within a month we were living together and he asked me to marry him dec 2007 and we got married in September 2008.

wow, thats great :)

people dont often understand when people meet online and dont see it as a valid way of meeting people

:heart:
  • Options
    You could say I met my fella through texting. I'd never seen him before and when talking to a friend they mentioned him and I liked the sound of him so I just asked for his number, we got texting and then met up one night and it went from there.
  • Options
    I reckon its a good way really for shy people to open up moer and meet people they wont or cant do in real life i guess :)
  • Options
    I think being in a long distance relationship when your 13-15 is such a bad idea. At this age a person doesn't have the means to be able to travel and the big telephone bills. I suppose when a person has finished school and is working would be a better time.

My opinions on long distance relationships. This isn't a type of relationship for everyone, only a few have what it takes to make this work. Lots of communication between the two is needed. There might not be too many visits between the two people. The time in between can be very difflecult. Alot of trust is needed between the two. Along with alot of other things Im sure I haven't covered everything.

I think this type of relationship can work if the two people involved want to work at it with each other. Even still chances are low and more likely the two will find someone closer to them.
  • Options
    From the experience im having now, if its going well i think it ultimately comes down to the question of "would you move for one another"

At the end of the day i don't think anyone could be totally happy staying in a long distance relationship. If neither people are willing to move at some point in time it will come to an end. In some ways this good because if you do end up moving to each other then its a good chance you have found real love.

I have completely fallen for the girl i am seeing now. I really think she could be the one BUT at the end of the day im only human. I require a lot of affection and physical contact. This is so important to me that without it i would never be truly happy.

So i think that is the question that will determine the outcome of any long distance relationship.
  • Options
    Mine worked for just over 2 years, (about 200 miles). From the age of 16-18. But i was lucky cause i get free train travel (dads a train driver) and he drove round the country alot on his job, and me being 10 min off the M1 he could often drop by. The distance wasn't really the cause of the break up either. Don't think i'd do it again though, i'd have to feel very strongly about them.
  • Options
    my opinion on them:

they suck.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    my opinion on them:

they suck.

Yeahhhh. Would you like to expand on that please? I doubt much help its going to be to people if you just say "Oh that sucks.." Reasons why? Previous experiences?? I dont think you should post your opinion on them if you're not going to expand on explainations of your post.
  • Options
    I think we've all decided that its good if you can put the effort in, reasons why mine failed

we were both 13-15 (no transport)
    she didnt trust me wel (no idea why i was loyal 100%)
    all on msn/phone not very..idk? real if you like.
  • Options
    Yeahhhh. Would you like to expand on that please? I doubt much help its going to be to people if you just say "Oh that sucks.." Reasons why? Previous experiences?? I dont think you should post your opinion on them if you're not going to expand on explainations of your post.

I was just answering the thread title.

As to why?
    - You can't see your partner whenever you like.
    - Travel costs
    - More problems coming up, if you had an argument and can't talk it out face to face.
    - More problems coming up, if you are a bit jealous.
    - Sooner or later you will have to move near to each other, or you'll live yourself apart. The happy stuff that keeps your hormones up is happening less and less until you fall out of love.

Advantages?
    I dunno... maybe you have more time for yourself? Which is probably what you want in a fresh and ripe relationship (attention: irony).
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    - Sooner or later you will have to move near to each other, or you'll live yourself apart. The happy stuff that keeps your hormones up is happening less and less until you fall out of love.

Same as my opinion. At the end of the day no wants a reltionship with a phone or a computer END OF
  • Options
    The first really truly serious relationship I was in, I was with the guy for nearly a year at first. We lived quite close and saw each other a lot. We broke up but then got back together a few years later when I had moved to London and he was back down south. He and I would spend every weekend together and although it was great, it cost A LOT of money. Having said that though, the amount of time we spent together at those weekends certainly made it so there was nothing really to hide and when we moved in together it was a lot easier than had we have been just a normal couple.

My current boyfriend and I are also in a LDR, it's really fucking hard. I was supposed to come home last night but just couldn't leave. Stayed another night and he ended up calling into work saying he was going to be late just so we could spend more time together. It's again, really expensive, but I think that if a LDR is done properly, you have all the right elements there like trust and friendship and good communication, more often than not they can be stronger in the long run.

However. They fucking suck.