Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Implant question?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went and had my implant changed today. It was about 3 months overdue. I did a pregnancy test and it came up negative (thank god) and then had my implant inserted.

I was told as I wasn't on my period it would take 7 days to kick in however when I got home, literally as I walked through the door, I came on.

Does this mean I'm protected immediately or do I still have to use a condom for the next 7 days?

Comments

• Options
    i would still use a condom for the next 7 days to be safe...

but...tbh, the implant can stay unsettled for up to 6 months....
  • Options
    What do you mean unsettled? Like doesn't properly kick in?

The last one I had was wonderful. I had no problems whatsoever and even lost weight on it.
  • Options
    I fell pregnant in the first 3 months of having my implant put in. it might have just been the 1 in a million chance, but it does mess your hormone levels up a hell of lot within the first 6 months, and the spotting, seems to go on forever!
  • Options
    Oooh. How strange. That's a VERY small chance. From what I remember when I first got mine I was fine. I guess I'll just have to wait and see :S
  • Options
    Hi. I had the implant too, and whilst it didnt work too well for me I didnt get pregnant! I think sticking with condoms for the first 7 days is definitely the way to go. Though I think that this recommendation is to cover people between the time of ovulation and menstruation, it is still technically feasible that despite being on your period you could be fertile - sperm hanging around egg hanging aroud etc. Hope the 2nd go works out well too.
  • Options
    Whats an implant?
  • Options