Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it just all about condoms?

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Our latest ranter Rachel is fed up of repetitive messages from teachers, adverts and nurses which just tell young people to use condoms and all will be well. How does her experience compare with yours?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its probably because they dont want underaged pregnancies and stuff i personally dont think they give a monkeys about relationships and commitment
  • Options
    lol where do you get these people :D

the bit i think sums it up is what good old nursie said

better safe than sorry!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    z- wrote: »

better safe than sorry!

:)
  • Options
    bless her, she's only 17, wait until she gets to nearly 20 and see how cynical shes becomes about relationships and/or sex...
  • Options
    The big hoo ha about condoms does annoy me, even tho they're still really important. I spesh hate when parents, teachers, grown ups, whoever, preach to you about safe sex and other things such as alcohol and what not, when you know that they weren't exactly squeaky clean when they were young.

I also agree with the love and sex thing. Whenever I go to the family planning clinic to get more pills, i always feel like the nurses there are judging you, and you're just going to sleep with any guy you meet. The first time i went she almost rammed a pack of condoms down my throat as tho she didnt trust me to use them! (Just like Rachel's friend)

I suppose the idea of freedom, women's liberation, kids growing up too fast, etc. has contributed to the downfall of the traditional idea of love before sex. Now I cant say i'm a particulary devoted supportee of this, but i can see where she is coming from.
  • Options
    I used to be a bit like that and I can understand her point of view. I appreciate that 'they' are trying to help people and stop people getting into nasty situations but I did find it got to a point where I just zoned out having been told time and time again - 'YOU MUST USE A CONDOM!' there are afterall other methods of contraception, and although they don't protect us from STDs, I barely heard of most of them at school.

I trust my partner. We have both been checked for STDs and although I am on the POP we still use condoms because we like to be double safe. Just because we aren't married and we have sex doesn't mean we're being unsafe and it doesn't mean there isn't love. We enjoy our intimacy, we enjoy the closeness, we enjoy sex but we take precautions.

Each to their own, I guess.
  • Options
    I don't really agree with the article - I think what the nurses, campaigns etc. are trying to get across is that it doesn't matter what kind of sex life you have, whether you're in a stable long term relationship or like sex with every person you fancy, you should always protect yourself. They aren't there to judge your relationship with your partner or your decisions about who to have sex with, they are just saying, universally, use a condom, which I think is right.

It might be important to discuss relationships in relation to sex education, as well as talking about sex and love, however at the same time you don't want to alienate young people by trying to bang in the message that you should only have sex in a loving, stable relationship full stop, because that isn't a realistic reflection of what people do. And I think the rates of STDs and unwanted or unplanned pregnancies in young people does reflect the need to have the condom message hammered home, because it obviously is not getting through to many and that is an issue that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    I always love reading the little blurb at the start of every rant which contains a little bit of information about the person venting their spleen. We are told that Rachel "loves meeting new people and hanging out with friends". It's always the same kind of thing. How about a rant from someone who hates people generally for once? (notices that everyone is suddenly looking in his direction...)

Mind you, it doesn't stop Rachel from being right. Current government policy does seem to be about encouraging under-age sex rather than stopping it in its tracks. Proof? A few years ago, the government spent a load of dosh on areas on sex education programmes in areas of the country where teenage pregnancy was at its worst. Result? Teenage pregnancies actually went UP in those areas. The only thing this shows us is that the state should have nothing to do with what happens in our bedrooms.

Yes, sex education needs to be a hell of a lot better than it is. Heck, I remember my sex education. I was 14 years old and it was given to us by a fifty-something year-old PE teacher. It was hard to tell who was more embarrassed to attend the lessons - her, or the pupils. The lessons in question also lasted only 30 minutes. By the time everyone had got into the class and quieted down, it was effectively 25 minutes - with about two days per year devoted specially to sex education lessons which everyone forgot about within hours.

Which is why I would give a load of dosh to organisations such as, ooh I don't know, Youthnet to go round the country educating the nation's children and teenagers about sex. TheSite.org itself does contain some articles which I disagree with, but they are generally very sound. If you put charities and people in place who know about the subject, sex education in this country could be turned around virtually overnight.

As for the school nurse who told the Christian girl that her views about sex were "unrealistic", she deserves to be sacked.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The only thing this shows us is that the state should have nothing to do with what happens in our bedrooms.

Speak for yourself, thinking of Magaret Thatcher stops me cumming too early everytime :D
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, thinking of Magaret Thatcher stops me cumming too early everytime :D

POTW :D
  • Options
    bless her, she's only 17, wait until she gets to nearly 20 and see how cynical shes becomes about relationships and/or sex...

for someone who complains about being patronised... ;)

also the message isnt getting through properly. some people are terrified of sex because the propaganda is that its an act that will get you diseased and some people just dont listen or "know im supposed to.. but you know, i was drunk" or something.

I dunno, i don't have a lot of sex, ask stargalaxy :D
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    POTW :D

Agreed :D
  • Options

Exactly what I thought.

The two points she very clumsily misses are:

1) The safe sex thing, whilst far from being a complete success, is at least pragmatic enought to realise that people are going to do it, and thus if they are, they should at least use protection.

2) The classroom is not the environment for education about relationships. If you want to learn about sperms fertilizing eggs and zygotes and all that guff, go to a biology lesson. If you want to learn about sex in the context of a loving relationships, ask your parents. However, far too many 'parents' are only too happy to abdicate responsibility in favour of blaming the teachers because they didn't teach their mewling spawn about sex in its proper context. I guess it's easier to blame someone else for your own mistakes than admit that you're at fault.

Now for the next one...

Joe is a 20-something polyglot banker from London. When not furiously masturbating, he hates meeting new people, old people and anyone in between. When not explaining to people how he is not responsible for the credit crisis, he can often be found hiding in Regents Park with a pair of binoculars.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You're the one who cancelled that dirty weekend, not me.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    for someone who complains about being patronised... ;)

also the message isnt getting through properly. some people are terrified of sex because the propaganda is that its an act that will get you diseased and some people just dont listen or "know im supposed to.. but you know, i was drunk" or something.

I only give as good as i get!
  • Options
    remember the 80s

remember the 80s when you couldn't switch on the TV or radio
    with out there been an ad or or a public information film telling you to get
    a condom before you had sex . mates adverts Durex adverts and information films about HIV and AIDS people are still dyeing of ignorance use a condom

blob a knob week:yippe:
  • Options
    are there any? seriously, point me to someone that isn't just a tiny bit bitter and cynical by the time they get the 20, have at least 1 ltr fucked up, and an abusive relationship, plus various dates that turn around and say "i'm just not into you" -not thats obvious cos your dick is in someone else....

excuse me...i am on heavy dose opiate painkillers...i'll say anything!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Or maybe she'll be one of those people who aren't bitter and cynical?

It would be nice to meet one :)
  • Options
    i'm not hung up on past at all. i just don't see the future being to bright or orange...oh bloody hope not...
  • Options
    nah, it's about genital warts and pregnancy.
  • Options
    i'm not hung up on past at all. i just don't see the future being to bright or orange...oh bloody hope not...

Me either, Im with vodafone.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I'm not bitter or cynical

Yes, but I cant keep you can I :chin:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    are there any? seriously, point me to someone that isn't just a tiny bit bitter and cynical by the time they get the 20, have at least 1 ltr fucked up, and an abusive relationship, plus various dates that turn around and say "i'm just not into you" -not thats obvious cos your dick is in someone else....
    *raises hand*
    I think what you describe is better than my condition though.
  • Options
    ? you've lost me ?