Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can Anyone Recommend A Cook Book For The Dummies?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, my New Years Resolution is to learn how to cook. Great! Well hopefully, I'll be great.

Question is, can anyone recommend a good cook book? One they know of and is simple to use.

There's just so many. I have no idea which would be best for me. Meh.

Any help would be fab :)

Oh + Happy New Year everyone :)

Comments

• Options
    Try Nigella Lawson's How To Eat. And Delia's Complete Cookery Course is good too, less pictures but lots of great recipes with easy step by step instructions.
  • Options
    student cook books are often good
  • Options
    What sort of things can you already cook and what do you want to be able to cook?

I've heard Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food is good for basics although not seen it myself. Check out the reviews on Amazon :)
  • Options
    I near enough cannot cook anything. I can heat things up :p ...but never cook something from scratch. Not even an omelette without asking how, I'm that bad.

Hmmm Nigella Lawson, I never thought about her. I'll google that up now see what it says.

Any more suggestions, please keep them coming :)
  • Options
    :yes: I was going to suggest these too. I am a complete novice at cooking but these have simple recipes in which are easy to make and help you build up your confidence in the kitchen...I can do quite a few basic and tasty meals now.
    Also try the BBC website, their food section often has easy to follow recipes.
  • Options

:yes: for a complete beginner definitely
  • Options
  • Options
    i like nigella express, lots of quick and easy recipes in there :)
  • Options
    Unless there's a particular style of food you're wanting to master it may be worth to just trying to look for either a book (or videos online may be good?) that'll teach you the basics. Even a basic paperback student cookbook would do the trick (and you can pick theese up for a couple of quid in discount bookshops).

Once you can make things like roux sauce, pastry, bread. And have got the idea of how long different meats and veg need to be cooked for, what herbs and spices compliment particular foods - (eg oregano v. nice with tinned toms and pasta) you'll probably find you're just using the recipe books as a guide anyway and putting your own take on ingredients you use. I'd be wary of spending lots of money on recipe books unless you know you're going to want to make the majority of the recipes. Second hand shops, cookery programs on TV, even maybe a beginner's cookery course would probably be a better investment. Also, if you're buying jars of sauces, spice mixes, looking at the ingredients on the packs can help give you an idea of what flavours work together and save you a lot of money if you can experiment and replicate them from scratch.

If you're a complete beginner, I think being able to watch other people cook can give you confidence quite quickly. Just don't be afraid to experiment! Good Luck and enjoy!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Try Nigella Lawson's How To Eat. And Delia's Complete Cookery Course is good too, less pictures but lots of great recipes with easy step by step instructions.

Delia would be my recommendation, too :)

Or Rachel's Food at Home / Favourite Food etc. Her name is Rachel Allen and she does proper, easy food. And her recipes are easy to follow.