Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

aparently people at uni think i'm a heavy duty dyke...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, at a glance at my social life i can see why, i do martial arts, i drink pints, i like heavy metal, most of my mates are lesbians or male, and i do wear comfortable shoes (but they're black patent DMs!)

Ok i'm am bi, but i have a problem with being boxed up as a dyke (sexuality doesn't come into it, some of my most feminine friends are lesbians, its the stereo type of being a dyke - and not a lesbian- that i have a problem with)

i wasn't feeling hugely femenine anyway, and being told that people thought/think i am has made me feel worse...

i am on a predominantly male course as well, so i kinda have to be down with the boys...but how the hell can i feel more feminine and get rid of this horrible horrible stereotype...

Comments

• Options
    dye your hair blonde. Perfect a coquettish giggle, diet to a size about two thirds of what is healthy, enrol on a makeup course or something to do with childcare or bunnies.
  • Options
    Shag your way through the guys, that should put that rumor to bed. :thumb:
  • Options
    i do prefer you suggestion to suzy's...

but realistically...? it would take me ages to get through all of them! :p
  • Options
    who cares what they think?

it could have been meant as a joke or just a way to get a reaction out of you. if you want to make yourself feel more feminine just take a bubble bath! i always thought you liked having your own style anywho :)
  • Options
    who cares what they think?

it could have been meant as a joke or just a way to get a reaction out of you. if you want to make yourself feel more feminine just take a bubble bath! i always thought you liked having your own style anywho :)

Exactly.

It doesn't matter what they think. Bollocks to them.
  • Options
    i do, i just wondered if i was my behaviour rather than anything else...i want a bath badly...only got a shower....:(
  • Options
    i do prefer you suggestion to suzy's...

but realistically...? it would take me ages to get through all of them! :p

Double time?
  • Options
    theres 69 of them...thats about 3 a week for the rest of the term
  • Options
    theres 69 of them...thats about 3 a week for the rest of the term

going to be a busy term then :D
  • Options
    2 a night, 3 nights of the week, thats 6 a week.
  • Options
    Who cares what they think ive been called gay thousands of times i just laugh it up

im really not gay btw
  • Options
    i wouldn't have a problem if someone called me a lesbian
    but they called me a dyke, and it wasn't 1 it was 5...

not happy....
  • Options
    If your bi then yeh i guess you do class as a dyke in a way..but straight aswell (duhh) so it shouldnt worry you?
  • Options
    If your bi then yeh i guess you do class as a dyke in a way..but straight aswell (duhh) so it shouldnt worry you?

A dyke being a derogatory piece of slang commonly used (AFAIK) to denote masculine homosexual women, I really dont think that she classes as one.
  • Options
    oh right i never knew there was a difference. =]
  • Options
    I'm afraid with people like that whatever you do will not change the fact that they will always place people in catergories. It's safer for them in their own minds to do that. Id probably place it down to you either intimidate them, have offended them by not sleeping with them or they downright don't understand you. This means they have to pigeon hole you.
    Ignore the comment, tell them just because you won't sleep with them and are more of a man than they ever will be it doesn't make you gay. That's usually what i tell people.
    I've been buttonholed as a lesbian since I was 18 because i'm intensely private about my love life and don't gob off in the pub about it. Also i do martial arts, drink cider and generally am more macho than a lot of the men in the pub :thumb: I can still be girly though and wear heels and a dress, believe me, this will not change you in their minds into being girly and straight.
    I like to look at it as being a strong independant female. You don't have to be a lesbian to be one of those :yes:
    And yes the word dyke is offensive to a lot of people, but then so are swear words but people use them all the time even when we don't want them to. You just have to ignore the fact that they're ignorant people. If you feel the need to why not educate them on the "dyke" word and why it's not used.
  • Options
    I thought all girls collectively decided they were going to all turn 'bi' back in 2003 or thereabouts. It's been years since I last met a straight girl under 30, so I'm really surprised it's an issue.
  • Options
    I thought all girls collectively decided they were going to all turn 'bi' back in 2003 or thereabouts. It's been years since I last met a straight girl under 30, so I'm really surprised it's an issue.

WTF ARE you talking about? I know plenty of straight girls (being one myself as well)

TT:Who care what people at uni think about you? You are unquie character and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I'm one of the boys, the only girlin my office and have no interest in pink fluffy girly things and I dont care what people make of because I know I'm bring true to myself.
  • Options
    WTF ARE you talking about? I know plenty of straight girls (being one myself as well)

I think you know full well what I'm talking about - the Katy Perry generation and all that. Anyway, I wasn't being entirely serious, obviously.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    i don't know anyone IRL that is bi...i have a fair few lesbian friends but that besides the point...

and hunny, i'm too old for being part of the katie perry generation!
  • Options
    There is a serious and highly interesting observation behind what I said though. People have this weird idea that female homosexuality is more accepted than male homosexuality but when you look at it properly, it isn't. Pretty much every young girl who wants to be popular is french kissing her friends for attention, but the unwritten assumption is that although they're 'bi', they're not really bisexual, they're still only romantically vunerable to men. But as soon as any female homosexual attraction actually seems genuine, it's like "lolz dyke!" and many straight people of both genders don't seem to like it.

So in a way, it seems to me that it may actually more difficult to be a genuine female bisexual or lesbian than be a gay or bisexual man.

Anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    i think you are being a bit of a narrow minded pratt to be honest...
  • Options
    My observations are my observations.
  • Options
    as are mine...
  • Options
    Well, I say "same back" to post 24 then.
  • Options
    How the hell is she a narrow minded person?

Shes been getting the abuse off people because she is different, and has widely ranging views.
  • Options
    There is a serious and highly interesting observation behind what I said though. People have this weird idea that female homosexuality is more accepted than male homosexuality but when you look at it properly, it isn't. Pretty much every young girl who wants to be popular is french kissing her friends for attention, but the unwritten assumption is that although they're 'bi', they're not really bisexual, they're still only romantically vunerable to men. But as soon as any female homosexual attraction actually seems genuine, it's like "lolz dyke!" and many straight people of both genders don't seem to like it.

So in a way, it seems to me that it may actually more difficult to be a genuine female bisexual or lesbian than be a gay or bisexual man.

Anyone else noticed this?

That is one of the biggest sets of closed and narrow minded stereotypeings that ive seen for a long time.
  • Options
    Ignore them twisted trinity be cool+stay true to YOURSELF dont change if your comftable that what matters im bisexual but you woudnt think i was x:wave:+ YOU ROCK GIRL there only jealous x
  • Options
    awww G i'm gonna miss you sticking up for me when you go off to kill people!