Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

weight training?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(i am gonna get a personal trainer to sort out some kinda plan for me, so i can have soem kinda structure and not give myself an injury)

But i was wondering what things should i be thinking about here? i'm wanting to tone up and really improve my core strength, mainly so i find it easier throwing guys that weigh 70 Kg and more. i want to be able to control my body a lot better than i currently do.

but also if i'm doing this, would it be a good idea to change my diet? its pretty balanced, don't eat a lot of meat though...

any other ideas would be greatly helpful.

plus i'm not too keen on free weights as there seems to be a greater potencial to injure myself...true or false?

Comments

• Options
    The free weights vs. machine debate has been going on for yonks. I like both. Free weights are great if you want to incorporate all of your body in a certain movement wheras machines isolate you in one position. I like both - I'm currently using machines more because I've always mainly stuck to free weights, but machines help build muscle/strength and the free weights help me to force myself to rely on other parts of my body, therefore strengthening my core as well.

If you want bigger muscle then a slight change in your diet would be beneficial. In regards to strength, well you're gonna need to maintain your energy levels and I know that I train to improve my strength and I have to eat like a horse to help assist with muscle building because of my body type (I'm one of those eat-what-I-like-but-won't-gain-weight types). Everyone's different, but see what your personal trainer says. I hate personal trainers - so expensive. I'd probably benefit from one but due to pride (and of course, lack of money) I'm my own personal trainer but I'd love to know what tips and stuff he or she gave/give you...

Take it easy

Danny.
  • Options
    I use both fee weights and weight machines.

Although I do tend to use weight machines more as I can a) never get to the free weight area due to all the gossiping man who pretend to pump some Iron but are really eyeing up the girls or flexing their muscles to themselves in the mirrors and b) I only know limited number of things to do with free weight and these are things I've learnt in body pump and sculpt clases.
  • Options
    I found squatting helped my abdomen a lot in terms of engaging the muscles, and oddly enough, chin ups (probably because I used to sway all over the place under the bar). I'll throw a plank in here and there occassionally. I started to do yoga in Dec as I was under a lot of stress workwise, and that has definitely helped with balance and flexibility (and breathing when I'm lifting heavy).
    but also if i'm doing this, would it be a good idea to change my diet? its pretty balanced, don't eat a lot of meat though...

It's up to you. You'll always get better results by polishing up your diet, you don't have to eat a lot of meat to get adequate protein.
    plus i'm not too keen on free weights as there seems to be a greater potencial to injure myself...true or false?

Free weights are generally ok safety wise so long as you're aware of your limits, use correct form etc once I started going to the gym regularly I used the free weights more and more as I found it more stimulating and challenging.