Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are shops open on New Years Day?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are clothes shops open on New Years Day? Just checked the M&S website and its closed on NYD, does anyone know if this will be the case for most other shops? x

Comments

• Options
    Bank holidays tend to go by Sunday trading hours, so expect 10AM to 4PM for the major supermarkets. Business parks should be open but I doubt that the high street will be.
  • Options
    I know Sainsburys are open on new years, i am working then!! 10-6 I think...

I would suspect the main shops won't simply because of the staff costs. Depends where you live, a large shopping centre near me decided it would be open on boxing day and all the shops had to comply. I would check your local shopping centre's websites.
  • Options
    remember wandering around leeds on NYD a couple of years ago and pretty much everything was shut.
  • Options
    Harveys, MFI and all that are open too.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A lot of shops in Sheffield are open. I remember buying our cooker in John Lewis on NYD a few years ago! Normally we go into town for a little nosy. Perhaps not this year.

Our tesco is closed.

If you are making a special effort to go somewhere then I would probably phone in advance to see if they are open.
  • Options
    I used to work for an academic branch of Waterstone's (non-high st) and we always opened, but it was dead - even more dead than Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Where i liue not alot stuf open asda aint i dnt even go out nyd saying that im working tommrow night 9pm to 6am
  • Options
    I get really annoyed with people who insist on going shopping on Boxing day and New Years day. Can't people just stay away for 3 days a year and give people who work in the places time to relax?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I get really annoyed with people who insist on going shopping on Boxing day and New Years day. Can't people just stay away for 3 days a year and give people who work in the places time to relax?
    My thoughts exactly. I remember reading in The Times last Saturday about some fruitcake who had travelled all the way from Bristol to London on Christmas night. He arrived in Oxford Street around 2am on Boxing Day. He waited for seven hours for the Selfridges Gucci store to open. And why did he have to be there at 9am Boxing Day sharp? Because he wanted to buy a fucking handbag for £300. What a fucking loser he must be.

Shop staff have to put up with enough shit as it is - I'm just glad I don't work in one anymore. I feel sorry for shop assistants every time they have to deal with customers who are discourteous, illiterate, uneducated, malodorous runts. (yes, that is a misprint) So what do the donkeys who run these stores do? Yes, they make their long-suffering staff work even more bloody days of the year! And these people want to abolish Sunday trading restrictions? Just how much more time do these brain-deficient tossers need to do their fucking shopping?!

Okay, so the house smells of farts on Boxing Day cos everyone's eaten far too many Brussels sprouts. Instead of pestering shop assistants with yet more stupid demands, why can't these people just for a fucking walk instead?
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Could I get some sympathy for everytime *I* have to deal with customers who are 'discourteous, illiterate, uneducated, malodorous runts' because I have to be trapped in a metal tube with them for hours...
    Nice to see my words getting to you, Rachie. :p
    Not everyones lives revolves around 9-5 working hours, weekends and bank holidays off. I've turned up to shops so many times only to find that they're shut because I forgot/didn't realise that its a bank holiday.
    Erm... don't know where this is coming from, but my life certainly doesn't revolve around working 9-5. I really can't see the appeal of working those hours myself.
  • Options
    As an ex-shop worker (and next clearance at that!*) i never used to mind sale times at all. Kind of breaks the monotony in a way. Sure you have to put up with morons trying to bag a bargain but you do anyway, there's just more of them at sale time and at least when your shop is rammed there's never any time to get bored as you're kept busy!

* Anyone who's ever worked in a next clearance store will know how manic things can get anyway let alone when there's a sale on!
  • Options

oo and hospital staff, and the police and the fire brigade,

Whilst we might have harder, more stressful jobs, I like to think I have infinitely better, union negotiated conditions than a shop assistant.

We get paid a hell of a lot more, we don't HAVE to take shit from members of public and we don't get kept back after work or called in on a day off unless it really is an emergency.

I don't begrudge shop workers 3 days a year when they don't have to goto work because the law prohibits it.
    As customers we don't NEED to go shopping on boxing day or new years day.
  • Options
    To be perfectly honest, new years day is the best day to go shopping over Christmas and NY because it is the quietest day. I went shopping to Meadowhall today and I have never seen it so busy. I know that on NYD town will be practically dead.
  • Options
    New Year's day is a wasted day anyway. Once you've finished with the actual night, the day serves no particular purpose other than to sleep off alcohol. So once you've slept it off I don't see why you shouldn't go and shop, if that's what you desire to do.

Anyway you have to think of the financial crisis. The shops need all the custom they can get at the moment.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    How about people don't take flights on these days as well, because I feel like I have to put up with more than enough shit the rest of time, so I'll take an extra 3 days off too.

On the railways we only get two days guaranteed off, Xmas Day and Boxing Day. We run a pretty much normal service on New Years Day! And everyone is demanding we run on Boxing Day too - ho ho ho, what fun! :yeees:
  • Options

Oh fuck off. I've worked as a shop assistant, and in many other jobs where i've had to work over xmas and new year and never begrudged it so you can stop your fucking preaching at me. As it happens this is the first year I've been off over the festive period so excuse me for wanting to make the most of it.

I only asked if the shops are open, it doesn't bother me if they're not. I'm not 'insisting' on going on NYD, I just have some things I need to get and I happen to have a day off (not one of many)

If you want time to relax on new years day then don't get a job in a shop :rolleyes:

God you've really annoyed me
  • Options
    I was actually talking more about boxing day.

Trust me, I've done shop work, and my wife still does. We've yet to meet someone she works with who will be thrilled with the prospect of working boxing day. They're lucky they don't have to yet, but if the demand is there they might start having to. Sod whatever they might want to do with family, the all mighty pound is beckoning.
  • Options
    We've yet to meet someone she works with who will be thrilled with the prospect of working boxing day.

I always used to volunteer to work Boxing Day when I was a shoppy cause it was double time and I was poor. Wasn't even put off by the 7am starts and rabid salesbargain shoppers. Believe me, there will never be a shortage of hard-up youngsters jumping at the chance to work the bank holidays.

I would much prefer it to having to work Christmas Eve :yes:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I always used to volunteer to work Boxing Day when I was a shoppy cause it was double time and I was poor. Wasn't even put off by the 7am starts and rabid salesbargain shoppers. Believe me, there will never be a shortage of hard-up youngsters jumping at the chance to work the bank holidays.

I would much prefer it to having to work Christmas Eve :yes:
    I've done both before now, in the same year, without any overtime pay. 10 hour shift on Boxing Day, too.

You wouldn't think McDonalds would be busy on Boxing Day but MY GOD. There were people WAITING for us to open :/.
  • Options
    I was actually talking more about boxing day.

Trust me, I've done shop work, and my wife still does. We've yet to meet someone she works with who will be thrilled with the prospect of working boxing day. They're lucky they don't have to yet, but if the demand is there they might start having to. Sod whatever they might want to do with family, the all mighty pound is beckoning.

Right well I WASN'T talking about boxing day (clearly as the post is about NYD) so your stupid post is completely irrelevant

I would never go shopping on boxing day, it's more important to be with family than shopping and I don't think shops should be allowed to open. But NYD is different. And as I said it doesn't bother me if they're not open, I have no special agenda for shopping on NYD, I just have some things to buy and a day off work which I'd like to make use of
  • Options
    Was only trying to stick up for them, I know first hand shop work sucks. But if it's not appreciated then fuck em.
  • Options
    I worked on Christmas Day once for a few hours first thing in the morning. Was back before the rest of the family were properly awake, earnt a fat wedge of cash and got time off. Bargain.
  • Options
    Was only trying to stick up for them, I know first hand shop work sucks. But if it's not appreciated then fuck em.

Yeh shop work does suck, along with the hundreds of other jobs where employees don't get bank holidays off. If you don't like it get a new job

I take it you won't be going out tonight (or haven't any other NYE), or getting a taxi home, or getting a pizza on the way back? Because in my opinion the people who are having to work til the early hours of the morning so you can do that are getting a far worse deal than the shop assistant on NYD. Does your moral high ground stretch that far?

Back to my original point tho - what's the general consensus! Open or not!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Back to my original point tho - what's the general consensus! Open or not!

Most places open. High street not too busy but don't be surprised if the odd place is closed :thumb:
  • Options
    Working on public holidays

Having read the development of the conversation above, in all fairness Kangoo, some workers (generally in the unskilled, low paid and low status jobs) who have to work on public holidays such as boxing day, NYD etc. have significantly poorer working conditions and less voice than other (professional) workers such as the emergency services. Whilst many young people (who tend to be exploited by employers anyway) are more than happy to work public holidays (for significantly less pay then the professional normal hourly rate, nevermind the professional's enhanced pay for public holidays) there are those that are not, but are not given any choice by their employers, and any complaint from the employee about this is likely to be met a negative attitude. The guy that was sticking up for these less empowered workers wasn't being 'moralistic', but rather (and in my view quite rightly) political and, I could be wrong, but I suspect that he is a little older and more informed than you about such issues. I suspect that you are relatively young. And whilst your youth may be arguably a mitigating factor, I feel, nevertheless, you have been significantly arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful in your attitude towards this guy. Sorry, but it has to be said!

I think you could have been a little more courteous and respectful of other's opinions. But hope you find the relevant shops open on NYD so you can get your stuff and let's hope that the guys serving you are the ones that would happily choose to work public holidays, not the ones being forced to.
    But the main message is, although you may not agree with other's opinions, have more respect. There's no need for your attitude.
  • Options
    Not it Iceland they aint.

However I work a job where we gotta work on New years Day. :( Although I have tomorrow off. Hence me being off my arse. WOOO!
  • Options
    None of the shops around here are open, the whole shopping centre is closed! Even Sainsbury's and that are shut.
  • Options
    Well if any are, my dads still asleep and the buses are not running. Oh well, cant get to them anyway.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have minded working boxing day if I was getting double pay; but I work 40 hours a week so I'm just owed a day off instead at some other time when my family and friends aren't around to have quality time with.

I have had New Year off though because the shop I work in wasn't open today. :yippe:

It does feel sucky that you're not alowed time off between October and March; and it would be nice to get some time to celebrate Christmas at least every other year or so.

Infact this is the very reason that I want a new job by next Christmas... I love my job except for the pay and the working hours.
  • Options
    EVEN Asda was shut today. ASDA oh dear. There is no hope. All them people who work at Asda having a day off, they really do just take the piss don't they.

:yeees: