Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

information my ISP holds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello
Can I get my ISP to disclose any information about the usage of my internet account? I am with BT Internet and I'd like to know how much data has passed.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    I don't think that ISPs are allowed to disclose information without a court ruling first.

Best bet is to use a bandwidth monitor for your local machine. I use Aida32 - a freebie that monitors various system happenings, including your bandwidth.
  • Options
    ISPs won't release info on the usage of data/how much data has passed as that is business sensitive information

(i work for an ISP, but not BT :p)

best idea as Monserrat said is to download a useage monitor :)
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    ISPs won't release info on the usage of data/how much data has passed as that is business sensitive information

Can't speak for other ISPs but mine does.
    Below is the monthly accounting data records for traffic used by your ADSL connection. This is listed as inbound traffic, ie: data downloaded by you and outbound traffic, ie: data uploaded by you. It is further split into metered and unmetered where unmetered is defined as 1:00am to 6:00am everyday.
  • Options
    Whos your ISP Scott?
  • Options
    Freedom2Surf, owned by Tiscali nowadays.
  • Options
    Dunno if they still do, but when i was with BT you could log into their site and have a look at your usage.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »

(i work for an ISP, but not BT :p)

best idea as Monserrat said is to download a useage monitor :)

PlusNet does - there's nothing sensitive about knowing how much you've uploaded and downloaded especially if you're on a fixed bandwidth tariff and want to monitor your usage.
  • Options
    Yeah if you're on a fixed limit tariff I'd say it's fairly essential for your ISP to offer some kind of bandwidth usage measurement thing. Otherwise how do you know how close you are to running out?
  • Options
    fine i take it back, lol

some won't including mine tho :p

maybe cos its an unlimited tariff? plus i'm only going on something i was told so feel free to ignore me :)
  • Options
    Same here Jemz.

When Virgin used to be NTL, there was a 1GB/day limit. (BT were even worse though at 1GB/month! *shock horror*) Although there is still a "fair use" policy, I believe that the limit got lifted when NTL got taken over by Virgin.

E.g. I took a break from WoW, but recently got back shortly after TLK was released. I bought the code online, then had to download a 7GB installer. I managed to get that transferred in just a few hours and had no letter from Virgin about fair use policy :-) I'm not one for downloading movies though, so that's probably why they turned a blind eye to my 7GB installer.