Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stages of a relationship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was looking online about relationships and found that the stages of a relationship kept cropping up. What do you think about them? What stage do you think you are in at the moment and how long do you think each one lasts for?
The stage 2 and 3 sound really sad and its probably when most couples break up but if you can get through them then you will stay together for a long time and have a deeper understanding in your relationship. But then will things ever be as good as they were in the beginning?

Stage One: Attraction and Romance

All couples experience this phase. It occurs when you are beginning to get to know each other. It might also be called the fantasy phase because your partner can seem perfect during this time. How long this phase lasts varies, but it can be anywhere from a few months to a few years.

In this stage, you are focusing on your similarities. You are likely spending a lot of time together. You are in love, after all, and you can’t imagine being apart from your lover. Conflict is not only avoided in this stage but seems like it will never happen at all.

This stage is a lot of fun but is not sustainable. People who are constantly changing partners are often trying to remain in this stage.

Stage Two: Reality Sets In

This stage often will begin to creep in slowly during your relationship, but will sometimes happen all at once. In this phase, you now start to see flaws in your partner or behaviors you just don’t like. It’s not that you are no longer in love, but your partner doesn’t seem as great as he or she was in stage one.

Biology is fighting against you as well. The romance stage features many endorphins running through your body that gives you that “high” sensation. Your body can’t keep this up forever, and so in this stage your elation begins to level off. You might even wonder if you are still in love.

Stage Three: Disappointment

What began as reality setting in during stage two often turns to disappointment in stage three. The problem here is that as a couple you believe that arguments are bad but you are angry at each other anyway. Some of the anger can be over trivial things such as small differences between you. Since you don’t realize that conflict can be healthy, you wonder if this relationship is doomed. In fact, you likely have thoughts of breaking up or getting divorced.

Without strong communication, trust and the ability to work as a team, couples are unlikely to advance past this stage.

Stage Four: Stability

If a couple can navigate through the unstable waters of stage three, they will find that stage four offers much rest and enjoyment. As a couple, you now have history together and you have been able to work through some differences. The fantasy of stage one is completely gone, but you have accepted this. Yes, you have differences and you sometimes fight, but you love your partner; feel connected to him or her, and you trust that you can work through any future conflicts.

You may, however, feel a little bored at times as the chase is definitely over. You may also miss the stage one feelings and wonder if those feelings can be found in someone else.

Stage Five: Commitment

Few couples make it this far, even couples who are married. In this stage, you are truly a team. You have chosen to be with your partner, flaws and all. You no longer miss the romance stage because that would mean being with a new person and you don’t want that. You have a vision for the future together as a couple. If dating, this is the stage where you can get married and feel comfortable with that decision. It is a stage of mature and sustainable love.

Comments

• Options
    Been with my boyfriend two years and five months (today actually) and I'd reckon I'm between 4 and 5. I think these stages are quite pessimistic though. I definitely still get stage one feelings for my boyfriend and I don't get too disappointed by him!
  • Options
    You have a good set of points there. I agree with you to a big extent, but I have some comments.
    Even if relationships appear to be divided into phases, I don't think these phases are necessarily static. For exmple, even if you reach it to the final stage, I don't agree that one never misses the romance stage. Even couples that have been together twenty years and that can be "classified" as committed couples have their issues and some do split up because they feel more like friends than lovers.

Also, I don't think these phases can occur once, for some they iterate over and over again, so if you find yourself in the stability phase one should never expect instability to not occur again. People change over time, and if two people in a relationship diverge too far from each other that may cause instability at any phase imo, because people change opinions, perspectives, interests and jobs, all of which have an impact on any relationship.
  • Options
    Some combination of the first 4 :|. Probably closest to 2/3 but we still have lots of elements of 1.
  • Options
    I've been with my boyfriend about four and a half years now and I'd say we're at stage four of that set. We live together and although that's taken a lot of adjustment, compromise and work we're much better at resolving conflicts between us by talking about them than we used to be...we're aware of each others' flaws and personality traits and how each other work. There are still times when we baffle each other and when we clash and there's certainly been times where we've both been a teensy bit bored and wondered about other people, but I feel quite safe in the knowledge that he wants to be with me and vice versa. It's tough, you do have to work at a long-term relationship, but I feel very glad to be in it and quite proud of how far we've come. Not bad for something that started as an office fling :D

Having said that, I don't feel ready for marriage or babies yet at all, which is nothing to do with not wanting to commit to him but more that I'm happy with how things are and see no need to change them for the time being. That's why I'd say we're at four for now rather than five.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I've been with my boyfriend about four and a half years now and I'd say we're at stage four of that set. We live together and although that's taken a lot of adjustment, compromise and work we're much better at resolving conflicts between us by talking about them than we used to be...we're aware of each others' flaws and personality traits and how each other work. There are still times when we baffle each other and when we clash and there's certainly been times where we've both been a teensy bit bored and wondered about other people, but I feel quite safe in the knowledge that he wants to be with me and vice versa. It's tough, you do have to work at a long-term relationship, but I feel very glad to be in it and quite proud of how far we've come. Not bad for something that started as an office fling :D

Haha! Good effort!
  • Options
    Haha I know! I think we've surprised a lot of our ex-colleagues!
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Haha I know! I think we've surprised a lot of our ex-colleagues!

Heheh, I'm not surprised. And to think people say you can't find romance with a fling...
  • Options
    I should say somewhere between 4 and 5. We have been together 4 years now and have been through the good times and bad times together. There is talk of a future together quite often so we shall see how it goes :)
  • Options
    Well I'm currently at stage 0. I think with my ex we were close to crossing the 3/4 boundary, but it would've taken a big sacrifice/compromise and for various other reasons we broke up.
  • Options
    i dont think that list is particularly accurate tbh, i dont think stage 3 is inevitable or natural, and "reality sets in" sounds a lot more negative than it actually is.
  • Options
    We've definately been through stages 1, 2 and 3.
    I'd like to think, from the way things are going right now, that we've reached stage 4, but with elements of stage 1. :)
  • Options
    Lol can people look at those stages with cold neutrality of an impartial judge? People gonna believe what they wanna believe, its in their self-interest to say their relationship is better than it is, else wha'ts the point of wasting your time/life staying in it. In this day and age long term relationships just can't seem to stand the test of time. It's frustrating and painful for all involved. Does make you think what's the point sometimes.

I think in my last relationship made it to roughly stage 2 but never lasted more than few months at best. It's a shame but maybe one day it'll happen.
  • Options
    Harmless wrote: »
    Lol can people look at those stages with cold neutrality of an impartial judge? People gonna believe what they wanna believe, its in their self-interest to say their relationship is better than it is, else wha'ts the point of wasting your time/life staying in it.

I would quite happily of stated that 2 years ago I was at stage 2/3. The thing is we stuck at it and came out the other side. I knew things were bad but we got through it and I wouldn't have had any shame in admitting that at the time.
  • Options
    well i would say my relationship was a mixture of all 5
  • Options
    Me too but i also think when your older and you've had more relationships you understand how to move through the stages more quicky and not see them as negative. Though i've had a lot of friends recently go through the we either marry or break up stage mostly with people they've been with since late teens early 20's
  • Options
    i dont think that list is particularly accurate tbh, i dont think stage 3 is inevitable or natural, and "reality sets in" sounds a lot more negative than it actually is.

Actually I agree. I don't think you can boil the complexities of human love and relationships into 5 stages that everyone goes through. This is the kind of guff they use to pad out Cosmo.

In my life I've been surrounded by a lot of happy and successful relationships, and they are all totally different. Thinking about stuff like this is probably what stops people getting into a relationship that makes them happy, lest they not follow the rules right. :chin:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Actually I agree. I don't think you can boil the complexities of human love and relationships into 5 stages that everyone goes through. This is the kind of guff they use to pad out Cosmo.

In my life I've been surrounded by a lot of happy and successful relationships, and they are all totally different. Thinking about stuff like this is probably what stops people getting into a relationship that makes them happy, lest they not follow the rules right. :chin:

It does kind of sound like the kind of thing written by someone who hasn't had a lot of experience with relationships.
  • Options
    Oh how depressing.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    It does kind of sound like the kind of thing written by someone who hasn't had a lot of experience with relationships.

To me it sounds like it's been written by someone who's married but not that happy, and is bitter about losing the romance, trying to make out that if you still get butterflies for your partner and worship the ground they walk on, you obviously have an immature and unsustainable relationship, and that unless you are disappointed by the features of their character that don't meet up to your exacting standards, you aren't being realistic about them.

I would take it all with a large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    seems like I wasn't so far off, when a friend asked me what is love.

I sat there, pondered about my words and produced, "love is the reason why you are together with a person, long after you forgot why you are together with this person."

he laughed and said I was a pessimist, but hey, it's not too false I guess.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    To me it sounds like it's been written by someone who's married but not that happy, and is bitter about losing the romance, trying to make out that if you still get butterflies for your partner and worship the ground they walk on, you obviously have an immature and unsustainable relationship, and that unless you are disappointed by the features of their character that don't meet up to your exacting standards, you aren't being realistic about them.

I would take it all with a large pinch of salt.

Haha! Yeah, or that!
    This stage malarky is obviously by no means the way to go about thinking about relationships. It's massively impossible to definite the stages so easily, and it doesn't happen this way.
    People's posts are testament to that!
  • Options
    I think that some bits might be right for a first full serious relationship but tbh once you've been through one you know that the other bits are coming and that its not all great from the outset - if you see what i mean and you learn to compromise - i've often thought that most people can have a succesfull relationship with pretty much any one else on the planet (obviously there are a few people i can't stand to be in a room with) the secret to the sucess is the willingness of both parties to put in the effort for it to suceed - which is something which goes beyond intial mutual attraction - i'm not sure if the willingness is love or not thought
  • Options
    i think i'm at stage 3, almost 4, with my boyfriend... i think this is the most difficult phase. we're going strong though :) it's only been about 9 months but we're smitten over each other, yet we still fight often. the fights work out much better these days than they used to, due to 100% communication (or so i fkn hope... lol joking, i trust him)

seriously though, communication is the key to a good relationship (including good sex, but that's for another forum!) :)
  • Options
    I think those stages do exist though because once you start to come out of the honey money phase which is incredibely exciting you might start to have arguments and that can make you feel a bit crap after having such a perfect 6-9months. You start to wonder "are we really right for each other" etc but really you are still getting to know each other and how you both get along when reality sets in.

I think it's also a case of inexperience; if you have never been in such a long term relationship then you might not know how to deal with it or realise that relationships will always be up and down and they are hard but they are worth it too.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    katralla wrote: »
    Oh how depressing.
    So which stage are we at then? ;)
  • Options
    Stages

Hey i just joined+i been partner 8yr 4mth+3wk lived together for 8yr+3mth+3wk of it got 2 gorg daughter 6yr+2yr +he 27 in feb i turn 24 nov08!i love him to bits dnt regret anything i am bi tho +i do worry what one day that wil bring xoxo
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    So which stage are we at then? ;)

• Options
    Aj fan wrote: »
    Hey i just joined+i been partner 8yr 4mth+3wk lived together for 8yr+3mth+3wk of it got 2 gorg daughter 6yr+2yr +he 27 in feb i turn 24 nov08!i love him to bits dnt regret anything i am bi tho +i do worry what one day that wil bring xoxo

the chiffre machine Enigma is nothing im comparison to this post smilie_loco.gif