Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Money transfer for rent didn't go through

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I have a problem with the rent that was due at the beginning of December. The money has left my bank account, but apparently has not yet gone into my landlord's acocunt.

I did the transfer online on 30th November using the same account name, number and sort code for the landlord as the previous month. The landlord has been calling me since the beginning of December saying the money hasn't gone in yet. Each time I've told him it's definitely left my account so should be going into his at some point.

A couple of days ago I called my bank to check exactly what was going on. They checked the details of the transfer and said the bank details were indeed exactly the same as the previous, successful payment. They also said the money has definitely left them, and to get the landlord to check with his bank and see if the money is in a holding account waiting to go in (I don't know what this means, can anyone explain?). My bank also started a trace to see exactly where the money has ended up, which should take up to seven days.

This evening I had a call from the landlord. I explained that the money has definitely left my account, and there's nothing I can do until I hear back from my bank regarding the trace. I suggested, as I had previously, that my bank suggested the money might be being held, and had he checked with his bank? He said he'd called his bank, but there was no sign of the money going in, so what else can he do? I said to ask them about this holding account, I don't know anything about it, but what else can I suggest? It seems he hadn't asked them anything more indepth than whether the money had gone in yet.

By this point the landlord got quite irritated and began to suggest that, a) it's entirely my fault the money hasn't gone in yet, and b) he'll be wanting two months' rent by the end of this month, one way or another. I replied that I've never had a problem with money transfers before, so I don't know the procedures, and until we hear back on the trace there's nothing else I can say. I also said that either my bank or his is liable, as the money must be somewhere in the system. I suggested that I'll provide proof that the payment was made, as he seems to be suspicious that I might be lying. I also said there's no way I can afford to pay an extra month's rent at the end of this month, and the blame lies with one of the banks, not me.

Where exactly do I stand in this situation? Am I right in saying that either of the banks is liable for the money, or am I obligated to get the money into his account, no matter what problems occur with the transfer? As far as I know it might be a problem with his bank account, in which case surely it's not my fault. I presume I'll either get the payment cancelled or completed at some point, but I don't know if this will be done by the end of the month. Does he have grounds to persue the money from me?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hard to say who is liable to be honest - if you made the payment and had the available funds and it left your account on the day you stated, then it is more than likely the fault of the recipient bank.

If your landlord rings his bank and tells them the exact amount and roughly when it was paid, then they should be able to locate it and credit it to his account.

Sometimes, the holdings accounts are used for various things. For example, if I sent money to you and a temporary block had been put on your account for suspicion of fraud, or awaiting confirmation of a large payment or something (this is just a total hypothetical situation), then the money would be credited to the holding account until the block had been lifted. The money should then be credited to the account.

If you have proof the money left your account and wasn't returned (check your statement carefully), then it's not your / your bank's fault!