Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

should he have been jailed?

id be interested to hear the views of people on thesite.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7785629.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds harsh.
  • Options
    Could so easily have been me.
  • Options
    tis harsh but unfortunatly thats the way the law is. you kill someone in self defense or defending someone else, even your daughter and you will get done for manslaughter and go to jail.
  • Options
    The man who ran to protect was in much danger as the one whom he was to fight against so he was right to strike him but for death of another person anyone who is the cause should at least spend some sort of sentence as it is no compariosn to the time spent in death.
  • Options
    "Self-defence" is too often invoked to justify outright violence... but the law allows for "reasonable force" and I don't see anything unreasonable in this man's actions. Pardon him and sack the judge.
  • Options
    If it were me, or I think any of us we'd do exactly the same as him. It's just a shame the judge has his head in the clouds.

It was an accident, and he was acting in defence of his daughter.
  • Options
    its a really fucking sad day when someone cant even protect their own family with protection of the law. Its not like he went round with a baseball bat, he used the baseball bat that the other guy was going to beat his daughter and possibly his grandchildren with.
    The justice system fucks up so badly, i feel like i lose my faith in it more and more every day
  • Options
    This story, sadly, doesn't surprise me. British justice is an ass.
  • Options
    I kinda think he still deserves a wee bit of jail time. Surely he could protect without killing? But I wasn't there, so maybe that was out of the question.
    I don't think he should be denied the right to teach, however.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    I kinda think he still deserves a wee bit of jail time. Surely he could protect without killing?

I think a suspended sentence would have been more in order. Any loving father would probably have reacted in a similar manner. It's not like he was a 3rd party getting involved.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I think a suspended sentence would have been more in order. Any loving father would probably have reacted in a similar manner. It's not like he was a 3rd party getting involved.

Yeah, that sounds better to be honest.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    tis harsh but unfortunatly thats the way the law is. you kill someone in self defense or defending someone else, even your daughter and you will get done for manslaughter and go to jail.

No you won't - you're allowed to use reasonable force
  • Options
    "Self-defence" is too often invoked to justify outright violence... but the law allows for "reasonable force" and I don't see anything unreasonable in this man's actions. Pardon him and sack the judge.

wouldn't it be the Jury who found him guilty? if so the Judge has limited options on offer given that he was found guilty.
  • Options
    The fact that he's gonna live the rest of his life knowing that he killed someone is a punishment in itself.
  • Options
    No you won't - you're allowed to use reasonable force

Does it apply here though?

Seems to me that she locked herself into a room, phoned him, he came from another house, brought a weapon and hit him on the head. I thought the use of reasonable force was in a situation where your life is in danger, like someone waking you up while robbing your house and them going to attack you. There was obviously some sort of plan involved here so doesn't sound like self-defence to me. Personally I would act in the same manner and it does sound harsh considering the circumstance but it's still manslaughter and that's the way the law is here.
  • Options
    joke

id do the time knowing id done the right thing
  • Options
    I would suggest releasing this man at once, then hitting the people who made the decision to jail him with the aforementioned cricket bat.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I would suggest releasing this man at once, then hitting the people who made the decision to jail him with the aforementioned cricket bat.

but it wasnt so much self defence as it was going in with a weapon, with possible intent to do "some" harm however lightly.

(devils advocate above)

Though there are people more deserving of prison time
  • Options
    Jurors heard Bassarath believed his son-in-law was "unstable". When he arrived outside the property in Hackney he wrenched the bat from Mendes's hand.

He didnt go in with a weapon. He wrenched the weapon out of his son in laws hand (that his son in law was about to use on his daughter and grandchildren) and hit him with it
  • Options
    It's disgusting, and how it has been allowed is beyond me.

Any normal person would of done the same! I would of done a lot worse
  • Options
    man that is harsh....i thank gos that isn;t me..
  • Options
    This could so easily be a thread about a man who murdered his wife and children.

Set the man free, he will have enough punishment, knowing what he has done.

I'm no law expert, but i'd say wounding with intent or ABH would have been more appropriate, with a suspended sentence.

Obviously with the media, we get fairly limited information compared to those directly involved in the incident, so it can be hard to judge exactly.

Would I do the same? Damn right I would.

"I thought the use of reasonable force was in a situation where your life is in danger, like someone waking you up while robbing your house and them going to attack you. "

The farmer who shot the intruder got jailed - again, I'd say reasonable force!

It's a shame when you a)have to protect what is legally yours / what you care about and b) are punished for doing so
  • Options
    the farmer who shot the intruder in the back who was running away, was in no way the same as this.
  • Options
    Not at any point during my post did i say it was the same as this.

If i said that 'the farmer that shot the intruder who was in his house illegally and killed him is the same as the man who killed his daughters husband', then sure, i'd agree.

A comment was made about using reasonable force.

To me, either of these separate incidents *which i do not think are the same* are both uses of reasonable force.