Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Personality differences + housemates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys. I'm a bit grumpy atm :p.

Yesterday it was lots of little things, I was loading the dishwasher and one of my housemates kept taking things I'd put in out and putting them in other places and laughed and said "you don't have a dishwasher at home do you?". Well, actually I do, but at home I'm not so OCD about it, as long as everything is in and has space for the water to get for it, it doesn't matter if it's in a nice line.

Then I poured everyone a glass of water for dinner, and housemate threw it in sink and repoured one as it cloudy and 'warm' apparently (from cold tap, mine was cold..). This really hurt my feelings as I felt everything I was doing was being rubbished.

Thing is, I've noticed I've got a different personality to some of my housemates. Lets say there's John, Charlie and Hannah (and me!).

Charlie seems to be lacking in consideration - not maliciously - he just seems a bit oblivious to it. This includes imposing on others, not offering to do chores or proactively doing them, he even leaves his dinner plate on the table after he leaves. Yesterday when I was already hurt by the d/washer / water thing (probably stupid :p) when John was serving up and said 'who wants a small bit' Charlie looked straight at me.

Whenever dinner is being served up, he always watches my plate being served up (and probably others) and it makes me feel bad, like he's judging whether I'm getting more or less than him. I don't mind having less at all, just yesterday I was quite hungry so wasn't going to volunteer for the small bit! I do like him, I should put that straight, he just seems a bit like a 'mummys boy' in that he's been nurtured to be a bit self centered and cater for his own needs/wants.

Hannah is also lovely, but at times can be very childish. She will often try to play mother and explain the simplest of things, like for example when I was loading the dishwasher, I put the scissors in, spread the blades, she took them out, spread the blades further and explained how they need to be fully opened. :eek2:

It doesn't normally bother me, it's one of those gremlins you have with friends, but being continually patronised does get upsetting as it makes you feel like people have no confidence in your ability. And when its stupid stuff like the correct way to chop vegetables or fry mince or whatever... I am too worried about being offensive to say 'errr, I do know how to this you know'.

John is sound pretty much. I think he's in a similar position to me, in that he is possibly over polite of the other's misgivings. It's little things, like we wait until everyone has been served for dinner before eating, whereas the other two will serve themselves and just begin eating, it just seems a bit impatient.

I think maybe I have different standards as well to things - in that I don't mind if they're not 'perfect' as long as it's ok. I wanted to do some of my own recipes this term but felt too scared as I think my housemates standards are very high. Personally as long as things are cooked it's ok, but I've seen on occasion a housemate leave a plate full of food because apparently they didn't like it.

I'm just a bit sensitive at the minute and a bit grumpy and it's just starting to get to me. I'm still for whatever reason still a bit hurt by having my dishwasher-filling skills criticised and my glass-of-water ability questioned lol.

Comments

• Options
    Tell me about it. I'm so glad that this might be my last year of university living. No flat ever runs perfectly, even if it's all best friends.
    This year is A - who is perfectly lovely, but has a bad habit of leaving lots of mouldy tuna dishes around.
    B - who smokes, so the house smells, and washes her dishes in cold water.
    C - who is a health freak and really intense in all his conversations
    and D - who I was good friends with until we moved here and is being a complete and utter bitch to everyone else in the flat.
    Then there's me who can't be fucked with flat politics so I do my best to deal with it. I think that's all there is for it. Dealing with it. Best method I've found so far!
  • Options
    tbh, you might need to sit down and talk with them about it.

i only share a kitchen, and we're all pretty adult, and we sat down and talked about stuff when we first moved in. but i know i'd blow my top after a while of being patronised...
  • Options
    Here's another angle....

I hate drinking warm water, anything other than pretty chilly tastes foul to me, so always run the tap well before I do myself a glass of water. If he got the first one and I was in his position I'd have changed it for one from a run tap.

The dishwasher loading thing may well be the ways he's grown up, I know some households where dishwashers are loaded just so, and others were stuff is randomly spread round. My parents disagree on how to do it and one frequently will rearrange what the other has done because they are genuinely convinced it doesn't clean as well that way round.

To him it's not a criticism as such, just a difference in experience.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you are being unreasonable, but it's coming up to the end of term and people are all tired, and thus less tolerant of each other, less considerate and generally more irritating habits shine through. It's worth remembering that even people who get along well need some space from each other otherwise you start to get annoyed or upset by the tinest things. You said you hadn't been feeling top notch receently and spent all your time in the flat so that won't be helping your feelings on this.
  • Options
    I hate drinking warm water, anything other than pretty chilly tastes foul to me, so always run the tap well before I do myself a glass of water. If he got the first one and I was in his position I'd have changed it for one from a run tap.

As my dad used to say, if you were stranded in a desert...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    As my dad used to say, if you were stranded in a desert...

Sorry but that's a ridiculous argument

If you were stranded in a desert you'd probably have to drink your own piss to survive but I doubt you'd be too happy if your housemate poured you a glass of weewee

I can see how it might get a bit annoying people telling you how to load the dishwasher, but I think you're being way oversensitive over the water thing
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

If you were stranded in a desert you'd probably have to drink your own piss to survive but I doubt you'd be too happy if your housemate poured you a glass of weewee

I can see how it might get a bit annoying people telling you how to load the dishwasher, but I think you're being way oversensitive over the water thing

I can understand, though, that it's the last straw kind of thing. It only takes something small and insignificant to take you over the edge. Like yesterday when my flatmate took the dish drying rack away. I don't know what she was trying to achieve, but that pissed me off in addition to a thousand other things.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

You don't *actually* have to take sayings literally you know.

It's about being grateful for things and not being excessively fussy.

The water was cold from the cold water tap. It wasn't the first because mine was (the first two went to the far end of the table where I sat). It was because I had poured it quickly and it was cloudy.
  • Options
    Could also be stress. I know that when I'm stressed out I'll go a bit nuts over the little things.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Could also be stress. I know that when I'm stressed out I'll go a bit nuts over the little things.

I'm with you on that one!
  • Options
    Yep, ditto the tired/end of term stress. Although my messy housemates drive me mad...I've resorted to hiding my dishes and only touching the areas I use. I used to do the whole house (minus their individual bedroom) but no one ever thanked me or maintained a decent level of cleanliness so I've left them too it. I HATE the going into the kitchen but it's their mess not mine - I've tried but grr!

Hugs SB...just look forward to the hols now :D
  • Options
    The two drawers in a dishwasher are like draining racks. There is a logic to where most things need to be placed. The slits are for the plates, usually largest at the back, then side plates towards the front. Scissors go in the cutlery rack and they only need to be slightly opened to expose their blades. Cups and glasses are usually formed in rows on the upper shelf. Bigger tools such as a ladel, sieve or egg whisk can fit where gaps allow, as they're big enough for exposure anyway. The only row I tend to have was when unloading the machine. My sister and I had to do it on a rota while we were growing up and we'd always debate who empties the top row and who empties the bottom row :-D

I'm pretty sure that this knowledge is basic to people viewings this post, and it's just Shyboy's housemate who is being difficult!

And to have a dishwasher in a shared house - NICE!
  • Options
    Nah, scissors need to be wide open.... Otherwise the bit at the top of the blade doesn't get cleaned.
  • Options
    It's all too natural for people to be critical but I would only worry if I felt there may be more to it than just being a little bit nasty, like if I felt there was a motive and they are purposely trying to annoy me. And this isn't very hard to come across, some people are just a real nasty piece of work, but hey let them be them and you be you is my motto.
  • Options
    Okay, so my flatmate keeps being such a twat about people using her non stick pan. No one's abusing it but she keeps making snidy remarks when certain people are in the room. She kept fucking going on about her non stick pan (about 5 mins ago) and I said that if it was better to keep it in her room then she should. But she replied that she wasn't going to be stupid about it. But I said it was probably easier than her complaining about people misusing it all the time. Then she had the cheek to say that she'd never mentioned it and got really pissed off at me.

ARGH.
  • Options
    Yes, some of the "fun" of living in shared flats for sure. Everyone is different, but I do think it's important to agree upon a common standard on beforehand, and that means that everyone have to compromise. The people with dust on the brain need to relax, but the tasmanian devil of filth also needs to straighten up a tad. While it's unnecessary to polish everything all the time, basic things like cleaning up after dinner and not to leave the flat in a mess should be expected.
    Also, it's good to have a list of chores from period to period, divide them between you and have a rotation, so that everyone has the chance to clean the showers and the toilets...
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Yes, some of the "fun" of living in shared flats for sure. Everyone is different, but I do think it's important to agree upon a common standard on beforehand, and that means that everyone have to compromise. The people with dust on the brain need to relax, but the tasmanian devil of filth also needs to straighten up a tad. While it's unnecessary to polish everything all the time, basic things like cleaning up after dinner and not to leave the flat in a mess should be expected.
    Also, it's good to have a list of chores from period to period, divide them between you and have a rotation, so that everyone has the chance to clean the showers and the toilets...

See, we're alright for the general cleaning but some people can be so freakin anal!
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    See, we're alright for the general cleaning but some people can be so freakin anal!

I see. But as far as I'm reading I can agree that your mates go too far if they are picky on how to chop vegetables or how to load a dishwasher. But then you have to talk to them about it and say that these picky things doesn't affect cleanliness at all and that you don't care how they like to bend the scissors before cleaning but that you find it unnecessary. You shouldn't accept being patronized and patronizing won't stop before you put your leg down.
  • Options

From personal experience, that DOESN'T work. We had a washing up rota last year and I usually ended up doing a whole week or half a week's worth of washing up on my day because they never did it.
  • Options
    I see. But as far as I'm reading I can agree that your mates go too far if they are picky on how to chop vegetables or how to load a dishwasher. But then you have to talk to them about it and say that these picky things doesn't affect cleanliness at all and that you don't care how they like to bend the scissors before cleaning but that you find it unnecessary. You shouldn't accept being patronized and patronizing won't stop before you put your leg down.

That's why I put my foot down and told her to stop being daft. But she got really pissed off at me and told me that she'd never mentioned other people and what they do.