Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Housmate troubles :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm having some issues in my house at the moment and would be so grateful for any advice people may have!

I'm living with 3 others at the moment - my brother, an old friend, and a girl i used to work with. It's the one i used to work with that's causing the problems, and is the reason why i haven't been able to sleep as i'm so stressed / upset / angry!!

We used to be good friends, which is why she moved in - she was unhappy at her old place so i suggested she live with us. But she's turned out to be a nightmare - really selfish, and a very negative person so she drains the house completely.

She always puts the heating on constant, so the house is like a sauna. The boiler's in my room so I'll turn it off but if i leave my room it's back on again. It's not only uncomfortably hot but a waste of precious money.

She's also really rude - sometimes she'll just ignore me when i say 'morning', will answer one word answers, has a moan about the state of the house (which is actually pretty clean), makes us all feel guilty about having people around but when she has friends over she'll hog the tv without a second thought for the ones who dont have a tv in their rooms (she does).

She has a cigarette and leaves the door open so the house gets freezing - it wouldnt make any difference for her to stand outside!

I'm just so fed up of being at the beck and call of her moods - when she's happy then all is great but when she's not then she brings everyone down and i'm beginning to resent her for it. I also feel awful for my brother and my friend, both of whom i love living with, because i brought this other girl into the house and she has killed any 'homely' atmosphere that might have been.

So sorry for the rant! I'm just so stressed about this, and know i should talk to her but she's so volatile and i hate confrontation. I keep thinking about what a lovely place it would be to live if only she wasn't here.

Any advice / comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much :)

Comments

• Options
    b_b wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having some issues in my house at the moment and would be so grateful for any advice people may have!

I'm living with 3 others at the moment - my brother, an old friend, and a girl i used to work with. It's the one i used to work with that's causing the problems, and is the reason why i haven't been able to sleep as i'm so stressed / upset / angry!!

We used to be good friends, which is why she moved in - she was unhappy at her old place so i suggested she live with us. But she's turned out to be a nightmare - really selfish, and a very negative person so she drains the house completely.

She always puts the heating on constant, so the house is like a sauna. The boiler's in my room so I'll turn it off but if i leave my room it's back on again. It's not only uncomfortably hot but a waste of precious money.

She's also really rude - sometimes she'll just ignore me when i say 'morning', will answer one word answers, has a moan about the state of the house (which is actually pretty clean), makes us all feel guilty about having people around but when she has friends over she'll hog the tv without a second thought for the ones who dont have a tv in their rooms (she does).

She has a cigarette and leaves the door open so the house gets freezing - it wouldnt make any difference for her to stand outside!

I'm just so fed up of being at the beck and call of her moods - when she's happy then all is great but when she's not then she brings everyone down and i'm beginning to resent her for it. I also feel awful for my brother and my friend, both of whom i love living with, because i brought this other girl into the house and she has killed any 'homely' atmosphere that might have been.

So sorry for the rant! I'm just so stressed about this, and know i should talk to her but she's so volatile and i hate confrontation. I keep thinking about what a lovely place it would be to live if only she wasn't here.

Any advice / comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much :)

Oh my God! This is pretty much the same as my flat!
    I wish I had advice :( I just bitch about it to people who don't know my flatmates. That's really bad, but it helps! HAHA!
  • Options
    why not kick her ass out?
  • Options
    Hi there,

Stressful living situations will inevitably make you lose sleep, but please don't lose anymore. Perhaps speaking to her and trying to adjust and compromise on the situation may help. Otherwise maybe it is time to think about her moving out - the article removing a flatmate can help in that department. Don't lose hope, it will eventually settle itself over time, whichever path you choose.

Good luck :)