Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long distance relationship help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right im new to this and i need some help so if you could give me a few minutes of your time just for you to read my problem and any help you can give me is very much appriciated.

okay
im currently going out with the most beutiful girl in my world the only problem is that she lives in London and i live in Newcastle Upon Tyne. We have been going out for the last 8 months and 3 weeks (the best of my life) and the only problem is that the distance is killing me and i think it is doing the same to her to. In two years time after my A-levels i am planning to move to london to be with her but thats two years away. and with controlling parents, that wont let me go down because of recent events with kids and sharp objects they arnt letting me go down to see her every month or so which i would prefere to do. so i need som ideas on what to do. i dont mind sneaking down but i need a plan to say wht im doing for an entire weekend (not very good at making stuff up).
Any help much appriciated.
thanks for reading this

hazeltoe1992

Comments

• Options
    Right im new to this and i need some help....

I'm sorry you're in such a crappy situation and I truely understand how much that kind of distance between you and your other half makes you feel. The plus side of your situation is that you have an end goal and that is something you can look forward to.

After 2 years in a LDR I still haven't found a way to cope in the time we're separated but I just muddle on through it. Its a shame your parents are so against you visiting your girlfriend. Does she get to come up to Newcastle much? I'm sorry I can't give you any real advice.
  • Options
    Long distance relationship help

Hi hazeltoe1992,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a difficult time. Long distance relationships are by their nature extremely hard. It can work and does work for many people but the strain is difficult to deal with on both sides.

It sounds like you've made it work so far which is brilliant and must have been hard work. What does she think of how little you can see each other? Is she not able to travel to see you?

Or would you be able to meet somewhere half way and spend the day together? Have you tried writing letters to each other - its a nice surprise in the post and often means more than a text or email.

Thesite.org has an advice page about long distance relationships that you might find helpful.

Your parents are worried about you and that's understandable given the headlines about London, if you look at it from their point of view. Perhaps if you have a talk with them, explain what precautions you take when you're in London, how you think about your safety and don't take unnecessary risks - perhaps they would feel better about your trips if they knew you take this seriously.

Good luck and with your A-levels too! Keep posting and let us know how things go.

Lisa
    :)
  • Options
    thank you Raggy Doll she can come up to newcastle but only when her sister comes up as she has just turned 16, so i have seen her once in the passed nine months. but it was a great weekend being with her.

And Thank you lisa that page has helped a bit to. she thinks exactly the same about the dstance as me, as well its like being seperated from her heart to put it in her words. i shall give the letter's a go to thank you for the idea. I'm sure it will give her a nice suprise. and i will have a go at the half way thing it may wok out better than asking to go to london. and ive tried to understand it from my parents view but they were younger than me when they joined up to the forces and going from a country town to plymouth is a larger leap than going from newcastle to london surely?
    & thank you for the good luck i need it.

hazeltoe1992
  • Options
    It sounds like your having a really hard time at the moment. And you do have to understand your parent concerns, have you tried asking them what their advice is in regards to your relationship and how you can make it work. If they won't let you go down to see her maybe they could come up with some sort of compromise for you.

And as for London being so dangerous, it's utter bullshit, I lived in a really rough area of London for 4/5 years and I never once had anything happen to me. Stuff did happen, sure, but that's because it happened to people who have lived in the area all their lives. They haven't got time to be wasting with random strangers </rant>

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Walk down any street in london, you'll get robbed, stabbed, mugged, attacked, beaten.

meh thats just the start :P

I'm sure you're joking, but just wanted to check - you don't really believe that do you?